[Photos] Commodore CDTV controller made by Mitsumi

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Aug 2017, 22:33

I was cleaning up some Commodore CDTV remote controllers today and saw the "Mitsumi" brand printed internally. Makes sense that they made a lot of keyboards for Commodore so they would get the contract to make some of their controllers.

The Commodore CDTV came out in around 1991.

Saw Mitsumi and thought you guys might appreciate some vintage controllers.
Commodore CDTV controller.JPG
Commodore CDTV controller.JPG (464.36 KiB) Viewed 2461 times

Findecanor

16 Aug 2017, 23:03

Oh... That one.

The CDTV was Commodore trying to one-up Phillips that had announced the CD-i: A CD player and games console in one., but more intended for CD-based encyclopedias and the like.
Unlike most players, the CDTV required that the CD was placed in a "caddie" (cassette) before it was inserted into the machine.
The CDTV was already widely considered a flop when the CD-i launched later that year.
Two years later, Commodore redid the blunder by releasing a games console, the Amiga CD32, which also flopped. And then Commodore died.

BTW, the only original black Amiga keyboards that were made, were made as an add-on to the CDTV.. at least AFAIK.
New shells and keycaps for the Amiga 500 and 1200 have been produced by enthusiasts only in the last couple of years, in black and also other colours.
The CD32 got a keyboard add-on that had grey alphanumerics and black modifiers. The CD32 got wired controllers that are considered really bad.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Aug 2017, 23:17

Findecanor wrote: BTW, the only original black Amiga keyboards that were made, were made as an add-on to the CDTV.. at least AFAIK.
Oh ya, maybe I do have something keyboard related for the CDTV :) You're right. I just haven't had a chance to clean it yet.

I have an Amiga CD32 also. Unfortunately, it's missing the original controllers and I have no other accessories for it.
Commodore CDTV keyboard and mouse.JPG
Commodore CDTV keyboard and mouse.JPG (391.74 KiB) Viewed 2435 times

Engicoder

17 Aug 2017, 14:31

I haven't seen the black version of the amiga keyboard before. I assume it is Mitsumi like most other later commodore keyboards and the controllers.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

17 Aug 2017, 15:51

Engicoder wrote: I haven't seen the black version of the amiga keyboard before. I assume it is Mitsumi like most other later commodore keyboards and the controllers.
It is but with a different pinout specific to the CDTV. I posted pics on the forum and wiki. Here's a link to the forum post: photos-f62/commodore-cdtv-keyboard-mits ... 17220.html

Return to “Mice & other input devices”