IBM Model-F-like keyboard designs

gianni

25 Aug 2017, 16:50

I'll stay tuned...

Khers

25 Aug 2017, 16:54

RickCHodgin wrote: I am a Christian and I'm creating a whole suite of tools that will be given to everybody to use. I am using the skills and talents God gave me to create an original offering that is given to Him through my faith. These tools will be robust and complete and serve as a foundation for other people who wish to take a real-world, working example with a complete production manufacturing line (currently applied to creating keyboards, but extensible and modifiable to use for a whole range of applications), so that they won't have to do the hard work of the design and coding aspects, but can use what I'm giving them as a base or tool to wield. They can then build with that tool and make their dreams come true.
I'm sorry for asking, but; What's the point? You, as a christian, can't use the already available tools because they were designed by Satan?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Aug 2017, 17:11

Khers wrote:
RickCHodgin wrote: I am a Christian and I'm creating a whole suite of tools that will be given to everybody to use. I am using the skills and talents God gave me to create an original offering that is given to Him through my faith. These tools will be robust and complete and serve as a foundation for other people who wish to take a real-world, working example with a complete production manufacturing line (currently applied to creating keyboards, but extensible and modifiable to use for a whole range of applications), so that they won't have to do the hard work of the design and coding aspects, but can use what I'm giving them as a base or tool to wield. They can then build with that tool and make their dreams come true.
I'm sorry for asking, but; What's the point? You, as a christian, can't use the already available tools because they were designed by Satan?
:o
1qfpya.jpg
1qfpya.jpg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 7347 times

RickCHodgin

25 Aug 2017, 17:16

Khers wrote: I'm sorry for asking, but; What's the point? You, as a christian, can't use the already available tools because they were designed by Satan?
LOL!

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

25 Aug 2017, 17:22

I for one can't wait to try a Hodgin switch. You can never have too many mechanical keyboard switch choices.

RickCHodgin

25 Aug 2017, 17:27

Techno Trousers wrote: I for one can't wait to try a Hodgin switch. You can never have too many mechanical keyboard switch choices.
I call my switch a UKM Glide. They'll also be for sale separately as individual units in addition to being in the actual keyboards. I'm almost 100% positive I'm going to also create a traditional buckling spring switch option and sell keyboards which use that traditional switch.

I'm still not 100% convinced my design will hold up under continuous heavy use. I have to do more testing and that will come on units produced through production manufacturing.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

25 Aug 2017, 18:32

RickCHodgin wrote: I call my switch a UKM Glide.
Ah, yes. Thanks for the reminder.
RickCHodgin wrote: I'm still not 100% convinced my design will hold up under continuous heavy use. I have to do more testing and that will come on units produced through production manufacturing.
I would suggest shooting for a goal of 50 million actuations of durability, if possible. It would be good to at least match Cherry, although I think IBM's original capacitive buckling spring had a durability of more like 200 million actuations.

RickCHodgin

25 Aug 2017, 18:38

Techno Trousers wrote: I would suggest shooting for a goal of 50 million actuations of durability, if possible. It would be good to at least match Cherry, although I think IBM's original capacitive buckling spring had a durability of more like 200 million actuations.
When I do my testing, how many strokes per second should I test? Based on what I'm able to type as a fast typist, I was planning on no more than six keystrokes per second. It would take this long:

Code: Select all

4 kps = 144 days    (kps = keystrokes per second)
 6 kps = 96 days
 8 kps = 58 days
10 kps = 48 days
15 kps = 39 days

Scarpia

25 Aug 2017, 19:12

I have been following this from the sidelines since it started, and I have to blurt out my two cents: This monstrosity looks like a ridiculous over-design, with too many distinct modules, loads of reinventing-all-the-wheels and little regard for commercial reality -- being a niche product that's being designed specifically for mass production.

Translation: .....I totally want one. Damn gutsy initiative, RickCHodgin!

RickCHodgin

25 Aug 2017, 19:22

Scarpia wrote: I have been following this from the sidelines since it started, and I have to blurt out my two cents: This monstrosity looks like a ridiculous over-design, with too many distinct modules, loads of reinventing-all-the-wheels and little regard for commercial reality -- being a niche product that's being designed specifically for mass production.

Translation: .....I totally want one. Damn gutsy initiative, RickCHodgin!
I'm not sure what the commercial success will be for this product. I'm hoping it will be sufficient to allow me to be able to quit my day job and work full-time on this endeavor, using much of that time to work on my other projects.

However, that being said, the things I'm building for this project will translate into other areas. I think I should be able to find something that I can direct these skills toward which would make me enough money to be able to develop my projects full-time.

That's my goal. If any of you want to fund me on my projects I'll cease development, or engage in full-time development right now ... per your guidance. :-)

wobbled

25 Aug 2017, 21:39

Khers wrote:
I too am forced to use satantic keyboards, I have tried on multiple occasions to bless them with holy water but they all seem to stop working after that :lol:

RickCHodgin

25 Aug 2017, 21:40

wobbled wrote:
Khers wrote: I'm sorry for asking, but; What's the point? You, as a christian, can't use the already available tools because they were designed by Satan?
I too am forced to use satantic keyboards, I have tried on multiple occasions to bless them with holy water but they all seem to stop working after that :lol:
Hahaha. :-) Try Olive Oil, and just anoint the case without having it drip down to the keys. :-)

wobbled

25 Aug 2017, 21:46

RickCHodgin wrote:
wobbled wrote:
Hahaha. :-) Try Olive Oil, and just anoint the case without having it drip down to the keys. :-)
I wonder if oiling a model m would silence the springs at all come to think of it.

hoaryhag

25 Aug 2017, 21:48

Scarpia wrote: Translation: .....I totally want one. Damn gutsy initiative, RickCHodgin!
This. :evilgeek:

gianni

25 Aug 2017, 21:57

Since I'm interested in seeing any project related to buckling springs succeed, I can't stop to wonder why you can't at least start to sell something.

Can dyesub/ doubleshot keycaps? Start selling those.

Can you make a PCB? Sell it.

Do you have a mold for the model f case? Sell it.

The fact is that you're not trying to be IBM: you want to be greater than IBM. You're not trying to sell us something: you want to be the one who sells the industrial process to IBM. God be with you.

gianni

25 Aug 2017, 22:01

You can increase the rate, but you need to be sure that there's no increase in temperature, because this will lead to a premature failure.
Techno Trousers wrote:
RickCHodgin wrote: I call my switch a UKM Glide.
Ah, yes. Thanks for the reminder.
RickCHodgin wrote: I'm still not 100% convinced my design will hold up under continuous heavy use. I have to do more testing and that will come on units produced through production manufacturing.
I would suggest shooting for a goal of 50 million actuations of durability, if possible. It would be good to at least match Cherry, although I think IBM's original capacitive buckling spring had a durability of more like 200 million actuations.

RickCHodgin

25 Aug 2017, 22:07

wobbled wrote:
RickCHodgin wrote: Hahaha. :-) Try Olive Oil, and just anoint the case without having it drip down to the keys. :-)
I wonder if oiling a model m would silence the springs at all come to think of it.
If you gave it the full C3PO oil bath then yes, but a real anointing only requires a fingertip of oil. The power doesn't come from the oil, but the faith that goes along with it.

RickCHodgin

25 Aug 2017, 22:12

gianni wrote: Since I'm interested in seeing any project related to buckling springs succeed, I can't stop to wonder why you can't at least start to sell something.

Can dyesub/ doubleshot keycaps? Start selling those.

Can you make a PCB? Sell it.

Do you have a mold for the model f case? Sell it.
The production line I'm setting up has as part of its purpose the ability to feed in raw materials, process them, and have products produced. I intend to buy raw plastic stock, machine it into the target parts, capture the shavings that were spent in machining, melt those shavings back down into raw stock and run them through again, etc. And if it does not work, there is an injection molding company nearby that has a good relationship with the group I'm working with. The people at my group have suggested that would be a better solution anyway, but it does come with a large up-front cost. I would like to go this way at first, and then maybe migrate.
The fact is that you're not trying to be IBM: you want to be greater than IBM. You're not trying to sell us something: you want to be the one who sells the industrial process to IBM. God be with you.
It's interesting you say it that way. I have been amazed at my interest in this project. I have also been interested in creating an OS/2 compatible operating system based on a kernel I designed in the late 90s. It is one of my goals when I'm able to work on these things full-time.

I think IBM had it right with their hardware and software. I think they bowed down to Microsoft and stepped out of an industry they could've dominated. It makes me sad because every IBM product I've ever used has been solid. I would really like to gather together behind that effort and continue it in moving forward.

gianni

15 Sep 2017, 14:32

Any update?
Thanks

RickCHodgin

15 Sep 2017, 15:39

gianni wrote: Any update?
Thanks
I began designing the software and hardware for 3D machining. It will be a five-axis design with X,Y on the table, Z on the cutter, and then two additional axes to rotate the part on angles on the X axis (relative to its plane), and then on the Y axis (relative to its plane).

The rotation part will be in a two-part gimbal similar to this design. The key will be in a holder placed in the middle, with the gimbal being on a mount for the X,Y axes, and the Z axis will be overhead like this. The entire aparatus will move the key about in the X,Y,Z traditionally, and the other 2 axes will be the gimbal rotating the part to meet compound-/dual-angle needs for contoured edge machining, and machining the inner curvature of the key.

Key blanks will be created in a bulk process from raw stock, and machined into basic shapes in various colors. The keys then go through an automated feeder to a system which loads each one into a holder, which then goes through (1) machine, (2) polish, (3) paint, (4) cure, and (5) deposit stages.

I plan to build a few of these machines once I get the prototype working and begin selling fully custom keycaps for existing IBM keyboards, as well as for UKM keyboards.

gianni

15 Sep 2017, 15:44

Ah! I had hoped that you made molds for double shot!

RickCHodgin

15 Sep 2017, 15:52

gianni wrote: Ah! I had hoped that you made molds for double shot!
Nope. I am still having difficulty getting things translated from the digital design into the analog application. But, I also keep making strides. I have a very solid base on the digital side, so there remains only that last hurdle to get across. To be honest, it's been frustrating, and for about ten weeks. But, I will keep pressing on. My attitude is: Other people have done it. Surely with enough effort and time I too can do it. :-)

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

15 Sep 2017, 17:26

Woah, wait a minute... So you are going to be machining each key from a block of plastic, even the standard shapes? Or is that just for the arbitrarily shaped ones you'd talked about (like the "artisan" types with protruding shapes on top)?

I guess this would be one way to do the "carve out" of custom letters and symbols for infill, but it sounds like a really convoluted and slow way to make standard key caps, unless I'm missing something.

RickCHodgin

15 Sep 2017, 17:36

Techno Trousers wrote: Woah, wait a minute... So you are going to be machining each key from a block of plastic, even the standard shapes? Or is that just for the arbitrarily shaped ones you'd talked about (like the "artisan" types with protruding shapes on top)?

I guess this would be one way to do the "carve out" of custom letters and symbols for infill, but it sounds like a really convoluted and slow way to make standard key caps, unless I'm missing something.
There are two parts to the machining. The general key shape will be done in a bulk process that produces about six keys per minute per machine. The only part that's actually going to be machined are the key letters, and any custom keycaps that will be created. They will probably be produced at about 45 seconds per key per machine.

The 3D machining of the key letters is three-fold. (1) I want to have a nice impression within the plastic for the key caps that will endure through long-term use without rubbing off, (2) I want any ink that's removed from the letters and symbols to be user-serviceable so they can be filled back up and cured under a UV lamp, and (3) I am going to provide a special key blank that allows for up to 4mm of raw material to work with at the top. This can then have a 3D shape etched into it with about a 0.6 mm ball-end cutter resolution. It will allow for some decent custom 3D images to be created for keycaps.

My goals are to create functional, elegant, and even beautiful products, with each being a tribute to user-focused manufacturing, and not toward mass production manufacturing. I'm willing to do it more slowly, and with more user-needs in mind over the long-term, so as to provide a very solid, reliable product, with the desire to build up a reputation of doing the same in everything I do.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

15 Sep 2017, 17:47

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

RickCHodgin

15 Sep 2017, 18:07

Techno Trousers wrote: Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.
You and me both. LOL! :-)

gianni

16 Sep 2017, 20:54

There's no one who prints the keycaps like you plan to do. There must be a reason... CNC'd keys? User cured UV ink?! What?

gianni

16 Sep 2017, 20:55

Start making money by making ssk model m using existing keycaps, printing for a low cost inexpensive pcbs. Invest in a tkl mold. Do what unicomp doesn't want to do.

RickCHodgin

16 Sep 2017, 21:34

Thank you for your advice, gianni.

RickCHodgin

08 Nov 2017, 18:13

Development has halted on this project due to several factors. I will resume when I am able. I apologize for the issues and the delay. Things are happening in my life outside of my control.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Return to “Keyboards”