seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Sep 2017, 22:41

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Prior example here that went nowhere:

keyboards-f2/not-a-peerless-switch-t8058.html
Ugh, good to know. :o :roll:

thegoldenmandenis

18 Sep 2017, 22:48

Definitely not a standard FKB4700 because the switches look very different and there are no domes present. This is why it seems rather interesting. I've tried to get a photo where you can clearly see down inside the stem housing. You can see there is no rubber dome, in fact you can see right down to some printing on the PCB, and instead there's a plastic lever:

The other is clearly a Fujitsu leaf spring because when you unclip the stem housing from the board, you can see the leaf spring mechanism beneath. Here's a photo:

Here's a photo of the unclipped housing:

And here's a photo of the board itself:

It was incredibly dirty when I got it so I've done the best I can cleaning it up but it's still not that great. I've never seen anything like it. I think it must have been used in a car mechanic's garage or something, it was completely covered in a thick layer of greasy black dirt, which was only worn away on a few of the more heavily used keys.
Last edited by thegoldenmandenis on 19 Sep 2017, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

18 Sep 2017, 23:00

The case still looks very FKB4700 to me. Anyway its all documented already, at least its validated now. Just because there is a spring doesnt automatically make it a Fujitsu leaf spring. We need to see the full PCB. Its unknown at this point, its not automatically some new Fujitsu leaf spring discovery.

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Sep 2017, 23:13

seebart wrote: The case still looks very FKB4700 to me.
It's a dumbbell spoon!

As for the two keyboards, I assume neither one has a label on the back at all?

I actually snapped off one of the clips opening mine (the case won't stay fully closed now) but it would certainly be nice to see inside them, as the model details should be moulded into the case and the PCBs will have strong clues in the codes printed on them. Also, the case and IC will have date codes on them.

seebart

19 Sep 2017, 00:03

Right, the PCB might give some insight. I never said these weren't interesting.

thegoldenmandenis

19 Sep 2017, 00:35

Interesting info about the other model numbers being indicated on the inside of the case mouldings. That was posted while I was writing my previous post so I didn't reply to it in that, but I've looked inside the moulding and checked the info on my two and it is as follows:

Leaf spring:
PCB is labelled N86D-2889-R021/03 HANDA
Case is labelled N860-2930-X01

Unidentified switch type:
PCB is labelled:
N320-1010-T101/01
HANDA MEN
MADE IN SINGAPORE

The PCB also has a sticker on it reading:
N860-2930-T022 03A
88 092-189 ( 1090) 274t

On the case, the moulded indicator is set to 2931.

I'll try to get photos of all this tomorrow or some time anyway, I'm now up far too late and need to get to bed so I can't do any better than this for now I'm afraid!

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Sep 2017, 00:46

I wondered how long it would be before someone found the other models that the case was used for.

I am not sure which models you're referring to above — it sounds like both of them are 293x series.

I'm guessing that there are differences in the case mouldings depending on the internal assembly (curved plastic plate vs flat metal plate, in particular), otherwise there would not be any need to differentiate them.

seebart

19 Sep 2017, 08:51

thegoldenmandenis wrote: Interesting info about the other model numbers being indicated on the inside of the case mouldings. That was posted while I was writing my previous post so I didn't reply to it in that, but I've looked inside the moulding and checked the info on my two and it is as follows:

Leaf spring:
PCB is labelled N86D-2889-R021/03 HANDA
Case is labelled N860-2930-X01

Unidentified switch type:
PCB is labelled:
N320-1010-T101/01
HANDA MEN
MADE IN SINGAPORE

The PCB also has a sticker on it reading:
N860-2930-T022 03A
88 092-189 ( 1090) 274t

On the case, the moulded indicator is set to 2931.

I'll try to get photos of all this tomorrow or some time anyway, I'm now up far too late and need to get to bed so I can't do any better than this for now I'm afraid!
Your doing fine, just dont call it Fujitsu Leaf Spring until we actually know what it is. Looking foreward to more details!

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Sep 2017, 09:57

Oh that's clearly leaf spring 3rd generation.

The other one, though, seems to be some kind of derivative of it, cheaper maybe.

seebart

19 Sep 2017, 10:05

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Oh that's clearly leaf spring 3rd generation.
Not clear to me at all. Not yet at least.
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: The other one, though, seems to be some kind of derivative of it, cheaper maybe.
Thats my thought also, which is equally interesting to say the least.

Chyros

19 Sep 2017, 17:53

FLS 4th gen! ^^

seebart

19 Sep 2017, 18:11

Chyros wrote: FLS 4th gen! ^^
495bcab38cdf4eda3eda7c915508077f.jpg
495bcab38cdf4eda3eda7c915508077f.jpg (77.05 KiB) Viewed 8446 times

JP!

20 Sep 2017, 22:51

Just as a follow up to my previous inquiry regarding an odd Texas Instruments keyboards with the "Fat Alps" switches, here are some additional pictures. Having made a deal for this, I should have this within a week or two. I will made a separate post at a later date. If the switches can be identified, I hope to document this example in the wiki. Maybe it is nothing real interesting, but I have not seen another like it anywhere. Of course if everyone documented their obscure keyboards, we would have a much larger knowledge base.
TI1.jpg
TI1.jpg (35.84 KiB) Viewed 8401 times
TI2.jpg
TI2.jpg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 8401 times
I believe this is a key cap puller tool
TI3.jpg
TI3.jpg (21.41 KiB) Viewed 8401 times
Oh, the seller tested this keyboard and it works except for the F and J keys.

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Sep 2017, 23:37

JP! wrote: If the switches can be identified, I hope to document this example in the wiki.
I'll settle for a mere 50 cents/pence for each person who's hoped or promised to add something to the wiki — they never do. The very few things that get added just get done: no promising, no hoping, it just quietly gets done.

There is a schema for cataloguing unknown switches so there's never an excuse that a switch can't be IDed:

[wiki]Category:Unknown switches[/wiki]

JP!

21 Sep 2017, 01:47

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
JP! wrote: If the switches can be identified, I hope to document this example in the wiki.
I'll settle for a mere 50 cents/pence for each person who's hoped or promised to add something to the wiki — they never do. The very few things that get added just get done: no promising, no hoping, it just quietly gets done.

There is a schema for cataloguing unknown switches so there's never an excuse that a switch can't be IDed:

[wiki]Category:Unknown switches[/wiki]
Never? Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Sep 2017, 09:16

If you have Darth (In)vader and Darth (In)sidious, what is a Darth Inmaul?

I clearly need a Sith name now.

seebart

21 Sep 2017, 10:51

JP! wrote: Having made a deal for this, I should have this within a week or two...
Spoiler:
maulo.jpg
maulo.jpg (99.14 KiB) Viewed 8309 times
:evilgeek:

depletedvespene

21 Sep 2017, 11:02

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: If you have Darth (In)vader and Darth (In)sidious, what is a Darth Inmaul?

You shall be known henceforth as Darth Kelaar.

consolation

21 Sep 2017, 16:58

Does anybody know what kind of switch this would use?

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Sep 2017, 17:08

consolation wrote: Does anybody know what kind of switch this would use?

Brother dome with slider

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Sep 2017, 19:12

depletedvespene wrote: You shall be known henceforth as Darth Kelaar.
That's disappointingly generic. I could have got something more interesting with a heap of Scrabble tiles.

depletedvespene

21 Sep 2017, 19:23

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: You shall be known henceforth as Darth Kelaar.
That's disappointingly generic. I could have got something more interesting with a heap of Scrabble tiles.
It's not generic at all, actually — I followed the pattern of taking a meaningful word and chopping off the first two letters (phonemes, actually).

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Sep 2017, 19:34

Oh, right, I forgot about my herd of inkelaars that live on my ranch.

depletedvespene

21 Sep 2017, 19:39

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Oh, right, I forgot about my herd of inkelaars that live on my ranch.
Wasn't "in". I first thought of "Darth Terruptor", but that made no sense. Then I came up with "Darth Itch", but I thought that would not be gladly received. Then I thought of other languages...

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Sep 2017, 20:02

No idea. I don't recall whether choosing stupid names for yourself or your protégés is covered by the Evil Overlord List.

Sith or no Sith, I think statistically "never" is close enough.

depletedvespene

21 Sep 2017, 20:07

Oh, fine, get yourself a new Sith master. (?)

Kids these days...

JP!

21 Sep 2017, 20:12

depletedvespene wrote:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: If you have Darth (In)vader and Darth (In)sidious, what is a Darth Inmaul?

You shall be known henceforth as Darth Kelaar.
gooood.jpg
gooood.jpg (18.51 KiB) Viewed 8221 times

Slom

22 Sep 2017, 00:42

Maybe it should be Darth Insmaul?

Would translate to "In your face" ...

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Sep 2017, 01:01

Darth Vidia. Not that the "in-" rule is real.

Return to “Keyboards”