Great/Interesting Finds

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

19 Sep 2017, 23:59

Myoth wrote: http://www.ebay.de/itm/SIEMENS-NIXDORF- ... 0012.m1985

I don't know if this is one of the right keyboard that have Nixies, but thought I'd post here anyway.

This one has been discussed on here before, and people are saying that it is the nixdorf magnetic valve version.

lot_lizard

20 Sep 2017, 05:11

Certainly not promoting the seller, but picked up several of these to offer later on our MF drop site... but with a spin. Printed up bases so they can act as proper pen (whatever) holders for the desk. The STLs to print your own base will be on the site for download for free if anyone was interested and wanted to pick up now (we will probably target ~30-35 for the plate/base combination to generate some funds for future projects).

https://www.ebay.com/i/152638699767
Spoiler:
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG (867.1 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
IMG_0817.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG (1018.78 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG (835.66 KiB) Viewed 5941 times

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Sep 2017, 07:03

Myoth wrote: this, here, is an awesome deal too.
That switch looks like SMK Alps mount or what we call "Monterey" switch.

wiki/SMK_Alps_mount

I might buy that KB-5181 alright if I didn't have some Montereys already; for $49,95 NOT for $149,95 !
mike52787 wrote: This one has been discussed on here before, and people are saying that it is the nixdorf magnetic valve version.
Right but even worse is the seller, he's boderline dubious. Nixdorf magnetic valves are very nice and completely unusable up till now. :mrgreen:

miloica

20 Sep 2017, 09:16

lot_lizard wrote: Certainly not promoting the seller, but picked up several of these to offer later on our MF drop site... but with a spin.
I'm glad you're speaking about MF again lot_lizard! MF drop site?

Slom

21 Sep 2017, 12:05

Zenith Z150 with black label and dyesubs; ~60$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zenith-system-v ... 2312566771

Myoth

22 Sep 2017, 21:31

mike52787 wrote:
"awesome deal" LMAO
yeah sorry about that, didn't look too far into it... sorry.

Myoth

22 Sep 2017, 21:34

seebart wrote:
That switch looks like SMK Alps mount or what we call "Monterey" switch.

wiki/SMK_Alps_mount

I might buy that KB-5181 alright if I didn't have some Montereys already; for $49,95 NOT for $149,95 !
mike52787 wrote: This one has been discussed on here before, and people are saying that it is the nixdorf magnetic valve version.
Right but even worse is the seller, he's boderline dubious. Nixdorf magnetic valves are very nice and completely unusable up till now. :mrgreen:
Thanks for all of these infos seebart !

Myoth

22 Sep 2017, 21:36

alh84001 wrote: That is NOT blue alps.
Yeah, like I said, sorry about that. They should be Monterey Blues.

seebart

23 Sep 2017, 09:36

Myoth wrote:
No worries Myoth. alh84001 isn't the grumpeist around here. :lol:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Sep 2017, 10:17

seebart wrote:
Myoth wrote:
That's a contest I seem to have long lost to at least 2 DT members :mrgreen:

seebart

23 Sep 2017, 10:21

kbdfr wrote: That's a contest I seem to have long lost to at least 2 DT members :mrgreen:
Well kbdfr your not around here as much as you used to be. That would be a prerequisite for winning that "contest" which you lost anyway. :mrgreen: Sometimes I'm a "runner up" for that title but it's just too much work... :lol:

depletedvespene

23 Sep 2017, 17:20

kbdfr wrote:
seebart wrote:
Myoth wrote: Yeah, like I said, sorry about that. They should be Monterey Blues.
That's a contest I seem to have long lost to at least 2 DT members :mrgreen:
Three. I haven't fully shown my true colors around here... yet.

seebart

23 Sep 2017, 18:08

depletedvespene wrote: Three. I haven't fully shown my true colors around here... yet.
:o Give that some time then... ;)

wobbled

23 Sep 2017, 18:25

seebart wrote:
kbdfr wrote: That's a contest I seem to have long lost to at least 2 DT members :mrgreen:
Well kbdfr your not around here as much as you used to be. That would be a prerequisite for winning that "contest" which you lost anyway. :mrgreen: Sometimes I'm a "runner up" for that title but it's just too much work... :lol:
There are plenty of grumpy assholes on here, I haven't been here long and I've already run in to them :lol: Perhaps I'm one too, but I try not to be!

seebart

23 Sep 2017, 18:27

wobbled wrote: There are plenty of grumpy assholes on here, I haven't been here long and I've already run in to them :lol: Perhaps I'm one too, but I try not to be!
Right, all I can say is:
c5e.jpg
c5e.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 5510 times
:mrgreen:

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Sep 2017, 18:30

The non-grumpy people are the ones too lost in the clouds to see why they're making others so grumpy in the first place.

Slom

23 Sep 2017, 18:58

You of all people on here talking about being lost somewhere ...

About being grumpy: kbdfr normally managed to be grumpy with style. At just the right time, just the right amount of grumpy in just the right way. Compared to that you other guys are just clueless cargo culting ...

seebart

23 Sep 2017, 19:03

Slom wrote: You of all people on here talking about being lost somewhere ...

About being grumpy: kbdfr normally managed to be grumpy with style. At just the right time, just the right amount of grumpy in just the right way. Compared to that you other guys are just clueless cargo culting ...
wow.jpg
wow.jpg (120.49 KiB) Viewed 5632 times
:evilgeek:

wobbled

23 Sep 2017, 21:34

Slom wrote: You of all people on here talking about being lost somewhere ...

Stop being grumpy

E3E

23 Sep 2017, 21:40

DT is the grump keyboard forum, of course.

Slom

23 Sep 2017, 21:48

Is 85$ a good price for F XTs these days?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980s-I ... 2775305504

thegoldenmandenis

23 Sep 2017, 22:17

Does anyone know whether this is mechanical: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332388047187

hoaryhag

24 Sep 2017, 06:11

@Slom. You can get em cheaper. That one looks like new though.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

24 Sep 2017, 10:10

Slom wrote: […] About being grumpy: kbdfr normally managed to be grumpy with style. At just the right time, just the right amount of grumpy in just the right way. Compared to that you other guys are just clueless cargo culting ...
Now I feel much better.
I had already feared all the efforts I invest(ed) in not just being plain grumpy had gone unnoticed.

seebart

24 Sep 2017, 11:38

Slom wrote: Is 85$ a good price for F XTs these days?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980s-I ... 2775305504
Yes that's not too bad.
kbdfr wrote:
Slom wrote: Now I feel much better.
I had already feared all the efforts I invest(ed) in not just being plain grumpy had gone unnoticed.
Your are not reaching your "old form" ! :evilgeek:

Myoth

24 Sep 2017, 20:52

a contest like "spot the french" ? ;)

Myoth

24 Sep 2017, 21:00

PERICOM MX7250

this might not look mechanical, though it might be since it looks like this

which looks like this Image

which is mechanical so maybe the Pericom MX7250 is ?

thegoldenmandenis

24 Sep 2017, 21:43

Solentspares are so annoying. They hardly post any information about the keyboards they sell and their pictures are completely crap.

Belfong

25 Sep 2017, 10:53

Sangdrax wrote: I like mine a lot. The switches do have to be broken in a bit though. I've had to really whack on some of them to register or kick loose and had a couple keys like control stick a bit. It's getting better as I use it more. At first, it wouldn't even keep up with my typing. Lots of skipped letters in words. Might need to open it up and see if it needs any capacitors swapped out. And reflow the switches to the board while I'm at it. I think T and I have a cold joint.

Build quality is way better than I was expecting though. Very heavy for the size. The metal switchplate was a big surprise.

Anybody ever lube these things before? I've been thinking about it and I have all the necessary stuff laying around to get it done today.

Edit: Nevermind. Didn't realize until I opened it up that you have to desolder the switches to lube them. I did it anyway with the escape key just to see the difference and it's mostly just a little smoother and quieter and you can hear the ping more from the spring.

Went ahead and reflowed all the switches and swapped the 10uf cap with a higher voltage rated spare I had laying around. That was what was causing the previous problems. Everything working peachy now.
I think I didn't expect the weight of this thing. It is now sitting at a proxy in US and if it's super heavy, it might cost me a BOMB to ship to Malaysia. Aw, life sucks! How heavy is this thing?

seebart

25 Sep 2017, 11:04

Belfong wrote: I think I didn't expect the weight of this thing. It is now sitting at a proxy in US and if it's super heavy, it might cost me a BOMB to ship to Malaysia. Aw, life sucks! How heavy is this thing?
Happened to me before more than once also. Good luck with that!

Return to “Other external”