Buckling spring Deskthority DT keycaps

hoaryhag

21 Sep 2017, 18:46

Techno Trousers wrote:
wokechill wrote:In light of the feedback on Pebble, I am cancelling Pebble from all orders. I would rather cut my loses not sending the remaining caps that have been decidedly sub-par as judged by customers than be responsible for its quality after sending it around the world. Eating the cost of these caps is preferable to more negative reviews. Anyone who has been invoiced already with a pebble on their order will be refunded in the next few hours.
Rather than a refund I'd like to change my pebble to red, if it's not too late.
Same, I haven't gotten a refund for my 2 pebble, but I'd rather have 1 dark blue and 1 pearl. I'd be happy to pay the shipping. Sorry this has been such a hassle.

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

22 Sep 2017, 11:13

Sorry to hear about the pebble ones. Can you change them to either pearl or white depending on the availability and then send me an invoice for the 3 caps in total?

pixelheresy

22 Sep 2017, 12:27

Did you move on to international folks yet? Kind of excited to get mine...

wokechill

25 Sep 2017, 16:54

hey everyone! i'll be getting back to everyone individually, but if you want to make changes to your confirmed orders or replace pebbles, you can make it faster by PMing me directly instead of posting!.

as of this morning, i have extra pearls, reds, and whites waiting to be dyesubbed and i think as of right now i should be able to cover MOST of the changed orders without issue, though that may vary. more international invoices should be going out today, once i make sense of all the order changes.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Sep 2017, 17:03

wokechill wrote: hey everyone! i'll be getting back to everyone individually, but if you want to make changes to your confirmed orders or replace pebbles, you can make it faster by PMing me directly instead of posting!.

as of this morning, i have extra pearls, reds, and whites waiting to be dyesubbed and i think as of right now i should be able to cover MOST of the changed orders without issue, though that may vary. more international invoices should be going out today, once i make sense of all the order changes.
I might have to take you up on one of those. :P While my DT Buckling Spring keycap from emdude is nice I need more...here it is on my 1387033:
IMGP6769.JPG
IMGP6769.JPG (946.28 KiB) Viewed 6430 times

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

25 Sep 2017, 20:14

Hey Wokechill, I just got my caps. They are great!

Out of curiosity, have you tried dye subbing the front of any "classic" pebble caps to see how they stand up to the heat? Like the alternate legends on the front of Seebart's keys above. I'm curious if the old school formulation would survive the process. I would love some media key legends on the front of the nav cluster and select function keys.

25 Sep 2017, 20:20

Custom front printed BS caps would be awesome. Create a HHKB front printed set:

wokechill

25 Sep 2017, 21:16

Techno Trousers wrote: Hey Wokechill, I just got my caps. They are great!

Out of curiosity, have you tried dye subbing the front of any "classic" pebble caps to see how they stand up to the heat? Like the alternate legends on the front of Seebart's keys above. I'm curious if the old school formulation would survive the process. I would love some media key legends on the front of the nav cluster and select function keys.
I haven't, because I don't own a buckling spring at the moment lol. I hope/think/pray that Unicomp just makes a substandard, overdyed product with inferior properties and that for stability reasons a larger production company like IBM figured out these melting point issues a long time ago. If anyone wants to send me some OG caps to dye, I am game to give them a try (first come, first serve).

wokechill

25 Sep 2017, 21:21

0100010 wrote: Custom front printed BS caps would be awesome. Create a HHKB front printed set:

while i appreciate your enthusiasm: absolutely not. these buckling spring caps are forged directly in hell as far as i am concerned, they don't sell blanks in all sizes (so making a full layout is, as far as i can tell, impossible), and the time and cost associated with making a full set is prohibitive on both ends (the amount of time it would take me makes me not want to do it, the amount of money it would take to get one would probably make you not want it). i'm working on making the process better so i can make 6 caps at once, but this requires a bit more engineering before it is ready. once that happens, maybe this can be revisited :)

25 Sep 2017, 21:54

Unicomp already sells all of the keys above, a combination of their Unix key set, caps / control swap, front function printed number row and custom 1.75 Shift. They also sell blank keys of every size (except black 2.75x right shift). The only other keys in the above layout that need front printing are all 1x width (and already top printed from the factory).

wokechill

26 Sep 2017, 19:56

0100010 wrote: Unicomp already sells all of the keys above, a combination of their Unix key set, caps / control swap, front function printed number row and custom 1.75 Shift. They also sell blank keys of every size (except black 2.75x right shift). The only other keys in the above layout that need front printing are all 1x width (and already top printed from the factory).
PM me.

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

04 Oct 2017, 13:54

The caps arrived here today and boy do they look nice :) Unfortunately the white one doesn't sit too nicely in any of the 3 inner parts :( The other ones just snap in but not that one. Pics:

Wow that color of the fluerescent light looks so bad in the pics :shock:

wokechill

08 Oct 2017, 23:36

Hate to do this again, but white is also going to be cancelled. I CANNOT get consistent results out of these terrible, thin, variable caps, and if it takes more than 3 caps to get a consistent result then I am essentially making these for $2/ea and it is not worth my time or aggravation.

These caps are trash; if anyone finds another manufacturer of buckling spring blanks then maybe I'll consider re-doing this GB in the future, but at the moment I am dyesubbing all of my blanks, shipping them tomorrow or Thursday (depending on when invoices are paid), and then I never want to look at one of these again.

depletedvespene

09 Oct 2017, 01:26

Damn. FWIW, I got my hands on my red caps today and they're both very nice.

wokechill

09 Oct 2017, 23:36

depletedvespene wrote: Damn. FWIW, I got my hands on my red caps today and they're both very nice.
thx dude! yeah the difference between different colors are night and day. so strange. glad u like them!

wokechill

11 Oct 2017, 00:52

OK, now all but 1 orders have been shipped. if i haven't contacted you, PM me to follow up. thanks for your business everyone! it has been a wild ride heh heh

codemonkeymike

16 Oct 2017, 01:38

Hey guys,
Sorry about futzing everything up with a large simple group buy. Glad y'all were able to make lemonaid out of lemons. I have been having some mental health issues after some things at work.

Hope everyone understands I am sorry,
Mike

Edit: And I am also very sorry to Wokechill and Xmit, they did so much work to make this happen and I went dark on them

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Oct 2017, 17:09

Yes!
model_m13.jpg
model_m13.jpg (376.81 KiB) Viewed 6142 times

depletedvespene

20 Oct 2017, 00:37

I can't believe I let this much time pass before posting this picture.
Ibm Model M SSK, converted to ISO, with wokechill's DT keycap.
Ibm Model M SSK, converted to ISO, with wokechill's DT keycap.
SSK_ISOed_DT.jpg (232.15 KiB) Viewed 6108 times
Looks great, doesn't it? :-)

LightningXI

27 Nov 2017, 12:37

Are there any extras available?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

JP!

28 Nov 2017, 21:12

I figure this belongs here.
apl1.JPG
apl1.JPG (453.53 KiB) Viewed 6060 times

__red__

28 Nov 2017, 21:50

Tell me about those function keys...

JP!

28 Nov 2017, 22:30

__red__ wrote: Tell me about those function keys...
I don't know too much about them. They came from a Model M I bought on eBay just for the function keys. I would say they went with a specific piece of software back in the day.
Spoiler:
1.JPG
1.JPG (155.52 KiB) Viewed 6027 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (101.92 KiB) Viewed 6027 times

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

29 Nov 2017, 01:47

Man, I really love the oddball/one-off specialty caps that IBM made. That's a busy looking M with all those colors and APL sublegends, but I like it!

alh84001
v.001

01 Dec 2017, 18:23

Indy case really works well with Unicorn vomit color schemes :) Looks awesome.

snoopy

19 Feb 2018, 18:01

Will there be a second round?

I was on the interest list, but seems I somehow missed the fun.

Or if somebody has a red or pebble one as leftover, please contact me :D

NookOppa

18 Mar 2018, 22:14

I'd be interested in one pebble one pearl is there was another round

Return to “Group buys”