Russian & Elvish sets

DarKou

18 Sep 2017, 14:09

I like this one too:

I like Cherry, SA and MT3 profil :D

ullr

19 Sep 2017, 00:29

Matt this is neither here nor there, but you should do all white blanks and make my year ;)

pomk

19 Sep 2017, 01:32

ullr wrote: Matt this is neither here nor there, but you should do all white blanks and make my year ;)
You can buy blank OEM caps from multiple places already. No need to get matt3o involved.

ullr

19 Sep 2017, 03:07

pomk wrote:
ullr wrote: Matt this is neither here nor there, but you should do all white blanks and make my year ;)
You can buy blank OEM caps from multiple places already. No need to get matt3o involved.
Oh for some reason I assumed everyone was talking about MT3 because the mockups are in the same style, guess I skimmed over the part about it being OEM :?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Sep 2017, 12:30

it's not OEM, it's a custom OEM/Cherry. the profile is sculpted with cylindrical top and pretty thick sides.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Sep 2017, 09:35

I would just need a confirmation for the BACKSPACE translation.

ball00n

21 Sep 2017, 10:00

I talked with some people familiar with older USSR keyboards and seems like the word "ЗАБОЙ" ("ЗБ") and "ВШ" was just used on different systems. They're both good for "Backspace" imo. So if it all boils down to a preference on what word to use I would vote for "ЗАБОЙ".

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Sep 2017, 10:41

works for me thanks!

armatus

21 Sep 2017, 13:11

in rare cases there are ВРЕГ (верхний регистр) for CAPS LOCK key
but ЗГЛ is more frequent

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Sep 2017, 16:43

good news guys! This is going to be a high-profile set!

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

21 Sep 2017, 17:11

matt3o wrote:good news guys! This is going to be a high-profile set!
Yussssss!!! MT3?

armatus

22 Sep 2017, 05:59

matt3o wrote: high-profile set!
it's like /dev/tty otaku kit, but better!
hurrauuu!!!!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Sep 2017, 18:33

coming along. Please let me know if you spot any error!

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

22 Sep 2017, 18:55

matt3o wrote:coming along. Please let me know if you spot any error!

Hmm. For the monolegend, can we still get alternate legends for the non-alpha symbols? Alternate locations for the punctuation will be important when I'm learning to touch type in Русский. Plus the unique "No" alternate to 3.

Edit: to carry on with that thought, the mixed legends have incorrect placement for some of the punctuation, assuming using Russian layout.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Sep 2017, 19:03

bilingual is ANSI-first. Monolenged I'm still torn... I kinda like how clean the layout looks with just one legend.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

22 Sep 2017, 19:18

matt3o wrote: bilingual is ANSI-first. Monolenged I'm still torn... I kinda like how clean the layout looks with just one legend.
I guess it depends on what your goal is for the monolegend. I thought it would be a really cool way for me to have a keyboard that I mostly dedicate to typing in Russian. I have all of the English positions memorized already, so I could use it for both, but I'd want to have the Russian-specific alternates there (only the Russian ones) for reference. But if you just want to make monolegend look cool, then that's your design decision. All I can tell you is that from my perspective, I probably wouldn't consider buying the monolegend if it doesn't have Russian alternates.

For your bilingual set, I think you're missing just the following Russian alternates, which are alternate to ANSI ones:
Ё alternate to (actually instead of) ~ `
" alternate to 2
№ alternate to 3
; alternate to 4
: alternate to 6
? alternate to 7
' and . alternate to ? and / key
/ alternate to \ on the |\ key

joric

23 Sep 2017, 13:57

We need КГБ key for ESC please (Putin would love it!). Also that fist is more like, idk, french. It got no much use in here. I'd rather use hammer and sickle. Also sucks that dyesub works only in darker color, yellow legends on red background would be dope.

Also yes, as mentioned above bilngual lacks Ё (!) and all the punctuation marks that are actually used in russian layout.

Also I remember a set like this ;) It seems you got it from first attempt.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x ... keycap-set

Once more, this is how russian keyboard actually looks like:

Russian Otaku shouldn't be less than "English Otaku", it's perfectly fine to have all chars layouted, e.g. Grand Budapest:

I don't remember any caps with numbers only unless it's keypad caps.
Last edited by joric on 23 Sep 2017, 20:45, edited 10 times in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Sep 2017, 16:45

Would alternates dyesubbed in blue help? I mean in the sense of deemphasizing them.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Sep 2017, 18:16

no love for a true monologend layout? I like it so much...

DarKou

23 Sep 2017, 18:21

matt3o wrote: no love for a true monologend layout? I like to so much...
I love it too :D

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Sep 2017, 19:49

matt3o wrote:no love for a true monologend layout? I like it so much...
Would it be too cost prohibitive to offer the number/symbol keys as three add-on choices? I think this would probably satisfy everyone:

* Otaku kit: Numbers and primary Russian symbols only (red)
* Русский kit: All Russian primary symbols (red) + Russian alternates (red or blue or black?)
* Bilingual kit: Numbers + ANSI symbols (black) + ANSI alternates (black) + Russian alternates (red)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Sep 2017, 10:12

I hear you guys. This is my compromise. If you want a truly Russian keyboard, take the bilingual, it has everything you need and it's how they use it in Russia. If you just want an "otaku" keyboard, go full throttle and get the monolegend!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Sep 2017, 19:14

Extra sets. Please check for errors.

DarKou

25 Sep 2017, 23:21

Great!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Sep 2017, 15:16

Now working on Elven set

The same as for russian we'll have one monolegend and one bilingual. I still don't know if I should use text or icon modifiers...

depletedvespene

27 Sep 2017, 15:40

Only one yellow key?

I must say you definitely got the colors right. :-)

Oner_ru

27 Sep 2017, 18:09

matt3o, I'm late to the party but there is an error in your bilingual set!
On the last picture you have " alternate to 1 instead of 2. Please fix :)
Btw I would like to have icons.
Thank you.

Phenix
-p

27 Sep 2017, 18:40

matteo, can you please remove the ANSI sublegends from the Sindarin set?
For me it looks meh with the sublegends..
Please use appropriate Sindarin modifiers - so either Sindarin-looking symbols or words. For me key is that it keeps beeing completly Sindarin, not something ''US standard modifiers' with nice Sindarin alphhas - w/o sublegends

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Sep 2017, 18:51

Phenix wrote: matteo, can you please remove the ANSI sublegends from the Sindarin set?
Please use appropriate Sindarin modifiers - so either Sindarin-looking symbols or words. For me key is that it keeps beeing completly Sindarin, not something ''US standard modifiers' with nice Sindarin alphhas - w/o sublegends
you didn't read the line under the picture... did you? :P

Phenix
-p

27 Sep 2017, 21:39

matt3o wrote:
Phenix wrote: matteo, can you please remove the ANSI sublegends from the Sindarin set?
you didn't read the line under the picture... did you? :P
Maybe I misinterpretated it? I read:
- your working on elven
- your unsure about Russian

Return to “Workshop”