Great/Interesting Finds

Darkshado

29 Sep 2017, 07:39

Chyros wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
Chyros wrote: NCR keyboard:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-NCR-W ... Sw4QVZy9ra

Is this one of the ones that Cherry people go nuts over? Looks like the case at least is 3000-compatible.
Quite certainly, but without a pic of the bottom I wouldn't be completely sure it isn't a rubber dome G83 :lol:
Yes, that's what I was thinking too. I didn't know if there were any other possible visual giveaways.
There is a picture of the bottom label (might have been added afterwards?) which reads "Article No.: G81-3077SAU".

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Sep 2017, 09:08

Chyros wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
Chyros wrote: NCR keyboard:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-NCR-W ... Sw4QVZy9ra

Is this one of the ones that Cherry people go nuts over? Looks like the case at least is 3000-compatible.
Quite certainly, but without a pic of the bottom I wouldn't be completely sure it isn't a rubber dome G83 :lol:
Yes, that's what I was thinking too. I didn't know if there were any other possible visual giveaways.
Seller added 2 pics, one of the box and one of the bottom sticker.
It says G81-3077 SAU, so yes, as you put it, it's "one of the ones that Cherry people go nuts over" :D

Chyros

29 Sep 2017, 09:22

kbdfr wrote: It says G81-3077 SAU, so yes, as you put it, it's "one of the ones that Cherry people go nuts over" :D
Well, good luck, guys, hope someone here gets it :) .

Elrick

29 Sep 2017, 11:09

Chyros wrote:
kbdfr wrote: It says G81-3077 SAU, so yes, as you put it, it's "one of the ones that Cherry people go nuts over" :D
Excuse my ignorance here but why would anyone go 'nuts' for a G81 keyboard :?:

If it was a G80, then it'll be different. Remember some key-caps in the G81 range have different fittings that only work on other G81 keyboards.

Took apart a G81 keyboard years ago and all the large modifiers (I think) had difficult looking stabilizers hence you actually lost all the larger keys but the Space bar, which is safe to use in any Cherry-based keyboard.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Sep 2017, 11:19

Elrick wrote:
Chyros wrote:

If it was a G80, then it'll be different. Remember some key-caps in the G81 range have different fittings that only work on other G81 keyboards.

Took apart a G81 keyboard years ago and all the large modifiers (I think) had difficult looking stabilizers hence you actually lost all the larger keys but the Space bar, which is safe to use in any Cherry-based keyboard.
Good question, in the Cherry universe this isn't just any G81 though. It's not really about the NCR branding either IMO since no one really goes nuts over the much nicer NCR branded G80's. In this case it's really nice the original box is present also.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Sep 2017, 11:39

Elrick wrote:
Chyros wrote:

If it was a G80, then it'll be different. Remember some key-caps in the G81 range have different fittings that only work on other G81 keyboards. […]
This is true only for the winkey versions, where the (1.25) modifiers have centered stems on G80 boards and off-center stems on G81 boards, while G80 and G81 winkeyless boards both have 1.5u modifiers with centered stems, i.e. fully interchangeable.

Anyway, it's the case itself that is a collector's item. And of course the dyesub keycaps.
As far as I remember, you can swap the complete innards anyway, here's a pic I took with mine some time ago:
Spoiler:
G81-3077 with MX assembly.JPG
G81-3077 with MX assembly.JPG (529.19 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
seebart wrote: […] It's not really about the NCR branding either IMO since no one really goes nuts over the much nicer NCR branded G80's. […]
I am not aware of a G80 version. In addition to the G81-3077 with the dark grey top shell, there is the G81-3007 with a less dark grey top shell.
See description and pics here:
other-external-f66/great-interesting-fi ... ml#p331848

seebart

29 Sep 2017, 11:53

There are several NCR branded G80 Cherry's, not exactly this model but that's not what I said! Pay more attention kbdfr! :evilgeek: :lol:

keyboards-f2/ncr-h0150-std1-10-17-t1065 ... cr#p368634

wiki/Cherry_G80-0528

wiki/Category:NCR_keyboards

Elrick

29 Sep 2017, 11:56

kbdfr wrote: Anyway, it's the case itself that is a collector's item. And of course the dyesub keycaps.
As far as I remember, you can swap the complete innards anyway, here's a pic I took with mine some time ago:
Spoiler:
That really cleared things up immensely. So it looks like ONLY the very older G81 versions had the exact same Cherry internals. Just surprised they chose the G81 insignia instead of keeping their ever popular G80 naming scheme.

Everyone out there despises most G81 keyboards simply due to them using an inferior switch, possibly newer versions only but this is the first time I've seen an actual G81 using the very same G80 stabilizers, so YES. this auction will go skywards quite easily.

Pity I'm no longer a hardcore Cherry Fanatic but rather, a sad Alps addict currently using a weird Alps switch with a Cherry-like stem.

seebart

29 Sep 2017, 12:00

Actually the older MY Type 1 switch is not sooo horrible Elrick! Opinions will "flare" as so often...

wiki/Cherry_MY

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Sep 2017, 12:14

seebart wrote: […] Pay more attention kbdfr! :evilgeek: :lol: […]
mea culpa :lol:

seebart

29 Sep 2017, 12:23

kbdfr wrote:
seebart wrote: […] Pay more attention kbdfr! :evilgeek: :lol: […]
mea culpa :lol:
Numai "spass". :maverick:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

29 Sep 2017, 13:57

Elrick wrote:
kbdfr wrote: Anyway, it's the case itself that is a collector's item. And of course the dyesub keycaps.
Spoiler:
That really cleared things up immensely. So it looks like ONLY the very older G81 versions had the exact same Cherry internals. Just surprised they chose the G81 insignia instead of keeping their ever popular G80 naming scheme. […]
My 3077 is a G81 (again, and expressed with more precision to satisfy seebart, I am not aware of any NCR G80-3000).
I just replaced the original G81 innards with a complete G80 assembly to test whether it fitted. It did perfectly.

And as a genuine hardcore collector, I returned it to its original condition after taking the pic :mrgreen:

seebart

29 Sep 2017, 14:02

kbdfr wrote: again, and expressed with more precision to satisfy seebart...
:mrgreen:
8851902.jpg
8851902.jpg (69.63 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
kbdfr wrote: And as a genuine hardcore collector, I returned it to its original condition after taking the pic :mrgreen:
Respect!

Slom

29 Sep 2017, 20:25

Kaypro II Keyboard, 25$, 3h to go, no bids yet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kaypro- ... 3169365992

depletedvespene

29 Sep 2017, 20:28

What do we know about the Kaypro II's keyboard?

Slom

29 Sep 2017, 20:32

depletedvespene wrote: What do we know about the Kaypro II's keyboard?
They look ace, and you won't easily be using them with a modern computer :P

depletedvespene

29 Sep 2017, 20:37

Slom wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: What do we know about the Kaypro II's keyboard?
They look ace, and you won't easily be using them with a modern computer :P
... I mean, besides the obvious. :evilgeek:

Daniel Beardsmore

29 Sep 2017, 23:30

seebart wrote: :mrgreen:
Surely you meant Catisfaction?

marijan

30 Sep 2017, 00:13

One of a kind M-122. End game conversion already included. Price is currently low considering the value for the real connoisseurs, but it's guaranteed to go sky high.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-IBM-Mode ... 0005.m1851

Myoth

30 Sep 2017, 00:29

marijan wrote: One of a kind M-122. End game conversion already included. Price is currently low considering the value for the real connoisseurs, but it's guaranteed to go sky high.
wait, do you see something ? I can't see anything, weird .... that's a very stealthy keyboard ;D

Gnohio

30 Sep 2017, 00:50

marijan wrote: One of a kind M-122. End game conversion already included. Price is currently low considering the value for the real connoisseurs, but it's guaranteed to go sky high.
:shock: That looks horribly disgusting. Whoever painted that should burn at the stake for such heresy :evil:

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 Sep 2017, 01:08

marijan wrote:
End game conversion already included.
You know how when you get a new car and then you are fussy and particular about it?
And then after it gets a few scrapes and dents you can be more relaxed and casual?

This keyboard is ready for serious use, in the real world, without care or regret.

Daniel Beardsmore

30 Sep 2017, 01:29

Are you sure it's real? It looked like a fake one carved out of foam to me.

Gnohio

30 Sep 2017, 01:52

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Are you sure it's real? It looked like a fake one carved out of foam to me.
In the description on the page it said the board was sprayed with vinyl paint. Truly a horrible sight to behold :(

Elrick

30 Sep 2017, 04:57

Gnohio wrote:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Are you sure it's real? It looked like a fake one carved out of foam to me.
In the description on the page it said the board was sprayed with vinyl paint. Truly a horrible sight to behold :(
Notice the price, hence expect the punishment.

Pity the poor soul who buys it, then needs to actually remove that vinyl colouring. Can be done but you'll be using very corrosive chemicals and still leave some of that defacement, forever more.

In fact the seller might even accept sub $20.00USD to be rid of his mess. Suspect he doesn't want it around anymore reminding him of his moronic travesty.

As I keep referring it to a 'Male' mainly because no Female would do what he did, to any keyboard because the opposite sex is far more logical when they choose specific colours compared to pubescent Males ;) .

OldIsNew

30 Sep 2017, 06:44

I agree with Daniel, my first impression when I saw it was that it was some sort of rubber foam store display prop.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

30 Sep 2017, 14:59

OldIsNew wrote: I agree with Daniel, my first impression when I saw it was that it was some sort of rubber foam store display prop.
I believe it has been given a "distressed" look. Someone beat the crap out of it and then painted it.

thegoldenmandenis

30 Sep 2017, 17:07

This is certainly unusual. A keyboard from some sort of Royal Navy ship: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391089043656

wobbled

30 Sep 2017, 19:05

I feel like having a rant so here we go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-Model-M-1 ... SwM7BZk~OZ

Here's a dumb fucker that opened a brand new model m and is trying to sell it as new as you can see from the price. I really hate these people. It's like he wanted the pleasure of opening one of these and is now trying to make his money back.

y11971alex

30 Sep 2017, 19:46

wobbled wrote: I feel like having a rant so here we go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-Model-M-1 ... SwM7BZk~OZ

Here's a dumb fucker that opened a brand new model m and is trying to sell it as new as you can see from the price. I really hate these people. It's like he wanted the pleasure of opening one of these and is now trying to make his money back.
This is one of those fake 1st-gen 1390131; it doesn't have the rainbow plate.

Return to “Other external”