My keyboard: Black and White Cherry G80-1851

green-squid

07 Oct 2017, 19:18

Hello guys! :) This is my first post here! Came here from reddit to participate in more keyboard discussion.
So, here is my main keyboard. It cost $25 (8000 HUF) and has Cherry MX Black switches. The white keycaps and the cable are from a G81 3000 (it was a flea market find for a dollar, but I spilled water on it)

https://imgur.com/a/ffkHl

(I don't know how to make those fancy image posts so I'll submit it like this. It's much easier to do on reddit)

ShivaYash

07 Oct 2017, 19:35

Nice find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green-squid

07 Oct 2017, 19:41

ShivaYash wrote: Nice find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you bro! I really like it. Typing on it right now.

Also, you are the first person to reply to me on DT!

ShivaYash

07 Oct 2017, 19:43

No worries. I started with MX Browns, I still have that board, then went to Blues, then got into IBM BS, then Topre and now I have a few boards I use in different locations. Welcome to DT, its a friendly place.

I am currently typing on my HHKBPro2BT.

green-squid

07 Oct 2017, 20:05

ShivaYash wrote: No worries. I started with MX Browns, I still have that board, then went to Blues, then got into IBM BS, then Topre and now I have a few boards I use in different locations. Welcome to DT, its a friendly place.

Good to hear this is a friendly place!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Reddit will still remain my primary source for keboard (and other retro stuff), but I hope to be on this forum a fair bit.

Myoth

08 Oct 2017, 12:43

green-squid wrote:
ShivaYash wrote: No worries. I started with MX Browns, I still have that board, then went to Blues, then got into IBM BS, then Topre and now I have a few boards I use in different locations. Welcome to DT, its a friendly place.

Good to hear this is a friendly place!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Reddit will still remain my primary source for keboard (and other retro stuff), but I hope to be on this forum a fair bit.

DT is a nice and frendly place for mostly vintage keyboards, I learned great things around here and I prefer it much more than reddit. This is quite calm and charming, reddit is just a big circlejerk ... It still remains a good place to learn about keyboards and all !

green-squid

08 Oct 2017, 15:00

Myoth wrote:
green-squid wrote:

DT is a nice and frendly place for mostly vintage keyboards, I learned great things around here and I prefer it much more than reddit. This is quite calm and charming, reddit is just a big circlejerk ... It still remains a good place to learn about keyboards and all !
I still like reddit. Sometimes I see Circlejerks but I don't get myself into that.

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Oct 2017, 15:10

I would accept Reddit if it were possible to necropost, but if you necropost there you're totally ignored, and if you contact the person whose topic you found … you get ignored. Sometimes I find things a while after they get posted, but there's no way to discuss them any more. Stupid place.

green-squid

08 Oct 2017, 15:33

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I would accept Reddit if it were possible to necropost, but if you necropost there you're totally ignored, and if you contact the person whose topic you found … you get ignored. Sometimes I find things a while after they get posted, but there's no way to discuss them any more. Stupid place.
That sucks, though I never had that problem.

We all have our own opinions.

shreebles
Finally 60%

08 Oct 2017, 18:06

Hi, and welcome!
I started my mechanical journey on the same exact keyboard about six years ago, so I think you're off to a good start!

After trying tons of switches I have come full circle, and have been enjoying linear switches again recently.

So, I ended up almost with the same switch that I started with (but with a lighter spring weight).

green-squid

08 Oct 2017, 18:32

shreebles wrote: Hi, and welcome!
I started my mechanical journey on the same exact keyboard about six years ago, so I think you're off to a good start!

After trying tons of switches I have come full circle, and have been enjoying linear switches again recently.

So, I ended up almost with the same switch that I started with (but with a lighter spring weight).
Thanks bro! I'm actually not that new to this, though this is my first truly mechanical kb. My first one was a cherry G81 3000 but I spilled water in that so I was mechless for an entire summer. Then I got this G80 in september and now I love it.

And today I found another cherry g81 but with doubleshot keycaps. I will submit it here later.

Return to “Keyboards”