Gambled on a Canon typewriter (S-66 mx)

SpacemanToby

06 Oct 2017, 03:53

Won this in a goodwill auction. I can't really find anything online about this one specifically, but I know there's a small chance for some alps switches. Or at least alps compatible caps.

Or maybe it's just worth whatever wire I can scrap from it. What are my odds? It doesn't arrive until next week.

orihalcon

06 Oct 2017, 07:24

Looks like they are alps caps like those seen on other Canons, but that "MX" has always made me wonder if these are some sort of MX variant. Pretty likely alps though I would say mostly due to the fact that alps has dual action switches which Canon liked to use on these and there is no Cherry MX equivalent for that as far as I know.

What are your plans for it if they are Alps?

Daniel Beardsmore

06 Oct 2017, 09:13

"MX" is used for various things — Psion palmtops, Macromedia Flash …

Alps is very likely, but you might get SKCM, SKCP, SKEW, SKCC …

Michael Doyle

06 Oct 2017, 09:34

Those are Alps caps, you can tell by the central, square lock light on the Caps-lock key.
I bought a similar typewriter with almost the same layout recently, the switches were Alps Integrated Domes (white square - wiki/File:Alps_integrated_dome_--_Alps_ ... detail.jpg), with a handful of SKCL greens for the switches with lights.

SpacemanToby

06 Oct 2017, 12:28

Yeah, I think integrated domes is likely. Depending on what kind of switches are on it, I might use them to build a Planck or let's split. I might also try to convert it into a hand wired custom keyboard.

Mattr567

08 Oct 2017, 02:40

SpacemanToby wrote: Yeah, I think integrated domes is likely. Depending on what kind of switches are on it, I might use them to build a Planck or let's split. I might also try to convert it into a hand wired custom keyboard.
I got an S-66 for $10 on craigslist. Integrated dome w/ 3 SKCL Green LED's. Alps spherical caps.

SpacemanToby

08 Oct 2017, 03:11

Awesome, thanks for the info. Do you know if the caps are compatible with other alps switches like matias?

Findecanor

08 Oct 2017, 03:41

BTW, a previous thread with a very similar keyboard from a Canon S-14 typewriter, used for scavenging keycaps for use with Alps switches: : Photos: KBP V60 Build with SKCM Amber and Canon HiPros.
Note the use of Alps stabilisers - some keyboards with Alps switches have Costar-style stabilisers instead.

Do the the plate holes for Alps SKEW integrated domes fit Alps SKCL mechanical switches? In that case, I think it could be more interesting to put that or Matias switches in with direct wiring, just to fully utilise the whole keycap set and layout.

SpacemanToby

08 Oct 2017, 04:20

I mean, those greens look to be about the same size. You might be on to something.

Mattr567

08 Oct 2017, 20:26

Findecanor wrote: BTW, a previous thread with a very similar keyboard from a Canon S-14 typewriter, used for scavenging keycaps for use with Alps switches: : Photos: KBP V60 Build with SKCM Amber and Canon HiPros.
Note the use of Alps stabilisers - some keyboards with Alps switches have Costar-style stabilisers instead.

Do the the plate holes for Alps SKEW integrated domes fit Alps SKCL mechanical switches? In that case, I think it could be more interesting to put that or Matias switches in with direct wiring, just to fully utilise the whole keycap set and layout.
Hey thats my build! :)
SpacemanToby wrote: I mean, those greens look to be about the same size. You might be on to something.
Yes SKEW and SKCM/SKCL plates have the same hole size. PCB's are incompatible however.

Michael Doyle

08 Oct 2017, 20:35

I'm currently working on doing this myself with Matias click switches. Normal Alps and Matias switches do fit in the holes, but they don't click into place on mine (not sure if Alps normally do). They're held in place securely enough, but if you try to take one of the caps off, the switch comes with it. So be wary, as to not ruin your wiring.

They're beautiful caps though, this is now one of my favorite profiles.

SpacemanToby

09 Oct 2017, 03:29

How do the integrated domes feel? Do they feel mushy?

Mattr567

09 Oct 2017, 03:34

SpacemanToby wrote: How do the integrated domes feel? Do they feel mushy?
Actually not that bad, there's a lot worse out there.

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Oct 2017, 09:23

I guess like any keyboard based on rubber, it will depend on condition. I had a keyboard with the smaller switches (blue Alps mount circular slider), and it was very nice, but opinions on them here are mixed, and it will depend on the exact rubber formulation and how well it has aged. That is always the down side to using rubber in keyboards, and why Topre is such a curiosity: to what extent have they managed to control the ageing process of the rubber?

SpacemanToby

11 Oct 2017, 17:38

Well I finally got my typewriter and it does indeed have integrated domes. The switches feel fine, but there are four prongs to wire up instead of two, so using them to make a handwired board seems like a huge hassle. I think I'm going to use the plate and get some Matias quiet clicks. I'll make the case out of wood. I think I would also like to keep the buttons on either side of the main keys and make them functional somehow.

RiverDax

13 May 2020, 12:14

Mattr567 wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 02:40
SpacemanToby wrote: Yeah, I think integrated domes is likely. Depending on what kind of switches are on it, I might use them to build a Planck or let's split. I might also try to convert it into a hand wired custom keyboard.
I got an S-66 for $10 on craigslist. Integrated dome w/ 3 SKCL Green LED's. Alps spherical caps.
What Wang Keyboard is that?

Return to “Keyboards”