Russian & Elvish sets

depletedvespene

02 Oct 2017, 18:57

[quote="matt3o" post_id=386875]More research on Sindarin. "shift" is notably missing and I don't have a clue how to translate that

How about using the verb gala- ("to grow")?

Phenix
-p

02 Oct 2017, 19:25

What about shift:
ortha- (Ety/379)

For menu I feel that „nobad“ (German: Fingerpaar ; English: pair of fingers) may be ok?
Your idea should be fine as well I guess..

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Oct 2017, 20:11

we could use eria- (rise) or ortha- (raise) for shift I guess... there's no mention about transitive or intransitive forms, so I guess they act like in English (so ortha should be better as Phenix suggested)

also I'm still debating which verbal form to use. So far I went for infinite and imperative (where it made sense)

edit: I'm thinking maybe "shift" should be "orthannen" (past participle)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Oct 2017, 15:57

Experimenting with lilac and arrows.

The following is the updated list of translations. "Tab" is another though one, ideas?

Perfect match
Enter > minno (enter)
Escape > awartho (abandon)
Control > tortho (control)
Insert > nestegi (insert)
Home > bâr (home)
End > meth (end)
Pause/Break > breitho (break out suddenly) or daro (stop)

Could work
Page Up > am (up)
Page Down > dad (down)
Caps Lock > pedi caun (speak loud)
Scroll Lock > hebi yred (hold running)
Num Lock > hebi gwenyd (hold numbers)
Alt > eichiad (change), eichiad is a "neologism", it doesn't come from any original Tolkien lore
Function keys > phui-1 phui-2 phui-3 ... (it's like literally saying F1 F2 F3...)
Shift > ortho (raise)

Quite a stretch
Delete > degi (slay)
Back space > têw dan (letter back)
Print Screen > teitho parf (write a book)
FN > esgail (veils, by ext. layers)
Super (OS key) > orchal (superior)
Menu > I can't find anything so I would phonetically transliterate the word "menu"
Tab > sarf (table)

Phenix
-p

03 Oct 2017, 17:13

will go trough the dictionary once more for menu.

Is | / gonna be replaced by anything?
Also: do you consider text-alternatives for the ring-icon (super) as worthwile?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Oct 2017, 17:40

Phenix wrote: will go trough the dictionary once more for menu.

Is | / gonna be replaced by anything?
Also: do you consider text-alternatives for the ring-icon (super) as worthwile?
|\ will be |\, maybe styled in a more fashionable way. the ring will have "superior" as alternative.

Vigrith

06 Oct 2017, 01:37

Hadn't seen this project till now, extremely interesting concept to me, I really should pay more attention to Deskthority!

Firstly I want to say thank you for fighting and working toward mono-legend sets like these - I've never been a huge fan of dual legends unless they are done very well seeing as they become a little too cluttered for my taste (that said, great job with getting the Cyrillic bilingual done right with this). About time something like this comes along, and I am glad you're the one working on it. A few opinions;

Firstly I love the white + offwhite mods Cyrillic layout. If Even if that exact combo ends up not making it it'll still be buying (red mods with white alphas or whatever else you decide on).

Second of, AMAZING work with the Elvish modifiers, please continue to decrypt and make progress with the language. I'd truly love to see them be an option once this is up and running, though having the icon mods be available too would be a nice safety net too (I'd buy both).

The hard thing when it comes to designing the Elvish set in my opinion is finding the right colour scheme - I like the green, obviously it's very fitting of LOTR as a whole but I feel like maybe something better could be figured out. I like the purple/lilac (though having alphas AND mods be 2 shades of it may be overkill) but I'm very biased as that's my favourite colour.

Cannot wait to follow this as it progresses and looking forward to it coming to fruition.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Oct 2017, 14:17

thank you @Vigrith, really appreciated your message.

I made some more updates to the legends. I believe we are close to final now

Perfect match
Enter > minno (enter)
Escape > awartho (abandon)
Control > tortho (control)
Insert > nest abbr. of nestegi (insert)
Home > bâr (home)
End > meth (end)
Pause/Break > daro (stop)

Could work
Page Up > cebi am (leap up)
Page Down > cebi dad (leap down)
Caps Lock > pedi caun (speak loud)
Scroll Lock > hebi yred (hold running)
Num Lock > hebi gwenyd (hold numbers)
Alt > eichiad (change), eichiad is a "neologism", it doesn't come from any original Tolkien lore
Function keys > phui-1 phui-2 phui-3 ... (it's like literally saying F1 F2 F3...)
Shift > ortho (raise)

Quite a stretch
Delete > geli (shine clear)
Back space > gwo dan (go back)
Print Screen > teitho parf (write a book)
FN > esgail (veils, by ext. layers)
Super (OS key) > orchal (superior)
Menu > I can't find anything so I would phonetically transliterate the word "menu"
Tab > sarf (table)

Also some color tests

I think I'll go lilac+white

Vigrith

06 Oct 2017, 15:24

I agree with all the nomenclature you've chosen - some of them are a stretch indeed but to me that's half the fun. I think most are very appropriate and great job with the icons, too!

Regarding the colour and as said, I love the Lilac + white. I think it looks beautiful. Even the bilingual is attractive because of the lilac sub legends; looking forward to seeing a mockup with just the black monolegend Sindarin.

zslane

06 Oct 2017, 18:44

I think a golden-ish color, rather than green or lilac, would be ideal for representing the Eldar of Middle-Earth. And are we abandoning the idea of monolegends?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Oct 2017, 19:07

how many time should I say it?! :P We are having both mono AND dual legends!

depletedvespene

09 Oct 2017, 04:02

matt3o wrote: how many time should I say it?! :P We are having both mono AND dual legends!
When you do the Black Speech of Mordor, anything other than mono legends will NOT be allowed! :mrgreen:

Vertigo

11 Oct 2017, 05:56

Are you gonna do Russian+Elvish set? Because I don't see those renders :lol:

armatus

11 Oct 2017, 08:46

Vertigo wrote: Are you gonna do Russian+Elvish set? Because I don't see those renders :lol:
russian XOR elvish
))))

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Oct 2017, 16:45

Vertigo wrote: Are you gonna do Russian+Elvish set? Because I don't see those renders :lol:
that would be something!

lot_lizard

11 Oct 2017, 23:39

Just seeing this. Beautiful work... especially the bilingual Russian set. For novelty characters on the Elvish, maybe the following? It is someone's adaptation of JRR Tolkien's initials as an Elvish symbol. Not sure if it is too detailed. Nice symbol regardless
Spoiler:
JRR-Tolkien-Lord-Rings-Return-King-Hobbit-Die-Cut-Vinyl-Decal-PV1982.png
JRR-Tolkien-Lord-Rings-Return-King-Hobbit-Die-Cut-Vinyl-Decal-PV1982.png (26.08 KiB) Viewed 6122 times
EDIT: Disregard. Beardsmore did the usage leg work... not happening. EDIT 2: threw in a spoiler to not make a mess of the thread
Last edited by lot_lizard on 12 Oct 2017, 16:03, edited 2 times in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Oct 2017, 00:27

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

12 Oct 2017, 02:37

Good luck getting permission from the Tolkien estate to use that on a keycap! :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Oct 2017, 10:27

I'm sure, we'll find some other nice novelty keys

Daniel Beardsmore

12 Oct 2017, 19:46

lot_lizard wrote: EDIT: Disregard. Beardsmore did the usage leg work...
I recognised the symbol immediately, that's all — I knew it went back years and I was sure it was official.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Oct 2017, 19:28

I revised the icons to be more compatible with the tengwar

We are pretty much done, I'll add the missing kits and we can go to the press!

Phenix
-p

14 Oct 2017, 20:36

The arrows are looking better in the latest design, but to me the curled mod icons in the prior design where refreshing and fitted the theme so nicely.

Are the new icons are about to stay like this?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Oct 2017, 12:23

if anyone has suggestions for novelty keys, now's the time!

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Oct 2017, 13:21

A duck.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Oct 2017, 13:28

webwit wrote: A duck.
I didn't see that coming

joric

16 Oct 2017, 13:44

Won't buy sindarin but I badly need Sickle with hammer and КГБ/ФСБ mods for the cyrillic set.

FSund

16 Oct 2017, 14:31

Don't forget a 1u R1 keycap for full ISO compability (the "<>" or "\ |" key, between left shift and Z).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Oct 2017, 14:58

FSund wrote: Don't forget a 1u R1 keycap for full ISO compability (the "<>" or "\ |" key, between left shift and Z).
good catch

Phenix
-p

16 Oct 2017, 15:40

FSund wrote:Don't forget a 1u R1 keycap for full ISO compability (the "<>" or "\ |" key, between left shift and Z).
isnt it R3? please color it in modifier color tough, that looks way nicer.

noveltys (tough its not thaat related to Sindarin): how about the illuminati sign?
matt3o wrote:
FSund wrote: Don't forget a 1u R1 keycap for full ISO compability (the "<>" or "\ |" key, between left shift and Z).
good catch

derzemel

16 Oct 2017, 15:41

matt3o wrote: if anyone has suggestions for novelty keys, now's the time!
a novelty with the Russian Flag on the Russian set?

Return to “Workshop”