Region-specific layout pages

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Oct 2017, 17:44

[wiki]ANSI vs ISO[/wiki] and [wiki]ANSI vs JIS[/wiki] should be on the same page, I feel.

I've composed a draft of [wiki]Region-specific layouts[/wiki] that moves the two pages above onto the top under its own heading, with the country-specific layouts grouped under a seconding. This has the drawback that level 2 (===X===) and level 3 (====X====) headings are too hard to distinguish from each other, which is something that in theory could be addressed in CSS, but I don't yet know how.

However, the ANSI vs ISO and ANSI vs JIS pages should maybe be rolled into [wiki]Physical keyboard layout[/wiki], although I'm not wholly sure how yet. There are two sets of diagrams (60%+F keys and full-size) and maybe only one set of them is required.

I'm wary of overloading the Physical keyboard layout page (especially with making the headings indistinct) but I also feel that this is not really appropriate material for the Region-specific layouts page.

The Region-specific layouts page needs a lot of work anyway, but I'm not sure what the best direction is to take these pages.

Any suggestions?

depletedvespene

16 Oct 2017, 11:50

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: [wiki]ANSI vs ISO[/wiki] and [wiki]ANSI vs JIS[/wiki] should be on the same page, I feel.
………
However, the ANSI vs ISO and ANSI vs JIS pages should maybe be rolled into [wiki]Physical keyboard layout[/wiki], although I'm not wholly sure how yet.
Yes. IMHO, there should be first a general chapter on ANSI vs. ISO vs. JIS, then one with each manufacturer's approach to each of those.
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: The Region-specific layouts page needs a lot of work anyway, but I'm not sure what the best direction is to take these pages.
Keep them as a separate page, but separating each layout strictly over language, referencing ANSI/ISO/JIS secondarily.

I can't guarantee any available time before Saturday, so at worst I'll put over some work on the page on this coming weekend.

Daniel Beardsmore

16 Oct 2017, 23:58

depletedvespene wrote: Yes. IMHO, there should be first a general chapter on ANSI vs. ISO vs. JIS, then one with each manufacturer's approach to each of those.
I'm not quite sure how to approach it. I'll have to give it more thought.

depletedvespene

18 Oct 2017, 01:14

My teeny-tiny little brain is already forming a few sentences here and there that may fit the bill. I'll let them... ferment... inside my thick skull and will try to get something written this weekend.

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Oct 2017, 01:24

I've already got a draft of that page, but with the ANSI/ISO/JIS section merged in, which it seems needs to come out and be relocated to the physical layouts page. I suspect I won't remember/get around to looking at the page any time soon though.

Darkshado

18 Oct 2017, 07:57

I've changed the text and added two photos for Canada. I'm not positive on the market share each layout has outside of Québec.

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Oct 2017, 09:42

I've just recreated the heading level fixes. I've put the images into <gallery> tags as side images don't work well with very short sections. I don't have my UK wording to hand, but the UK PC and Mac layouts are different, so I've dropped in a couple of images, albeit of sub-optimal quality. I'm not yet certain about the best way to illustrate the page, but small images of keyboards require a load of clicking to view anything — a set of diagrams like you see on Wikipedia may be preferable, that focus solely on the 60% area where all the differences can be found. SVG is good, but text in SVG in MediaWiki is a living nightmare.

I also need to determine for certain whether French and Belgian AZERTY layouts differ, as those were not circularly referenced. (The circular references are now gone, as that was silly.)

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”