SKFL tactile

Chyros

03 Nov 2017, 10:22

Question; do we know of a tactile SKFL switch yet?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 Nov 2017, 10:28

Not that I know of. Daniel will give you his 2 cents and you will enjoy it. :lol:

Just for semi-offtopic fun let's enjoy this:
Zenith Data Systems ZFL-181-93 (Alps SKFL)

Chyros

03 Nov 2017, 11:09

I'm asking because I might've discovered one - or a really scratchy linear one xD . But if it's already known, I'm not going to desolder it and take it apart - don't want to hurt the switch and board if it's not necessary.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 Nov 2017, 12:14

Leave it for now! I'd love to see the keyboard though!

Chyros

03 Nov 2017, 13:29

It'll be showed in a review but it's not an undocumented board and I won't be able to before at least January, probably much later xD .

Daniel Beardsmore

03 Nov 2017, 19:08

SKCC and SKCL have a particular tendency to be noticeably tactile due to the design, and it's not consistent. My NOS SKCL Yellow switches are tactile, while the used ones are not. Maybe the unintended tactility disappears with use. I also have some Mitsumi switches with a similar actuator design that are also tactile, but generally I'd not expect to get a distinct tactile curve from dirt.

If SKFL tactile exists, I would expect the slider to be a different colour. Regular switches are pale grey, alternate action is pale yellow, heavy is cyan, and dummy is teal, so tactile switches would surely be another colour again. I'm not aware of any SKFL colours that are not accounted for, or any suggestions of tactile versions, but it's certainly an anomaly if those are linear only. I don't get anything for Alps SKFM either, which is what I'd assume the tactile series would be.

And yes, they can be opened up, but chances are you'd break the switch in the process. Same with miniature Mitsumis — the way the metal lid is held down makes it very hard to remove it. With the right skills you should be able to open the switch, although you'd still leave the sides of the lid deformed.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”