Best keycaps

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 18:04

Sponsored by:
Vote in the final round of this category to win a Leopold FC980C Topre and 60% keyboard sleeve from mykeyboard.eu!

Nomination rules:
Please suggest nominees for the best keycaps in 2017. Only complete sets may be nominated. Artisans and novelties have their own category. You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. The keycaps must be newer than November 26, 2016 to qualify for this year's DTAs. You cannot nominate your own made keycaps.

Current suggestions:
  • GMK 9009 R2, absolute classic colorway, lots of sales, and the only new keycap set that was able to crack into my wallet yet
  • SA Godspeed by MiTo, for how beautiful it recreates old vintage NASA equipment from the same time period as where our beloved spherical keycaps come from. A nice, calm tone of blue paired with creamy alphas, topped off with a few novelties and novelty text caps.
  • SA Camping by MonkeySix, not only do the maroon red, forest green and also creamy alphas pair so nicely, it exceeded in the department of novelties. Just lovely icons that bring this colorway to a whole other level.
  • MFcaps for the best booty in the game
  • MiTo Canvas XDA, I just got mine in last week and they look quite purdy on my ergodox. They are simple, the typeface is nice, they are PBT, and the symbol set makes it a show stopper
  • GMK Terminal, can't get enough of it!
  • EnjoyPBT Cherry Profile PBT Dyesubs, whether it's their cyan/magenta Hangul legends, or their black/red Cyrillic legends, these keycaps are super popular and very classy looking
  • GMK Originative WoB, for bringing back an absolute classic on a wide range of layouts
  • Leopold PBT doubleshots for the obvious: stock PBT doubleshot keycaps made to a very high standard in tasteful color schemes
  • GMK Burgundy for being colourful but not gaudy
  • GMK Honeywell for bringing Round 5 to the cylindrical realm
  • GMK Oblivion! The ability to switch out the alphas to make your own version of the classic IDE theme, and make it mono or colored. Putting it on my board today, and I'll post a picture!
  • Is this the year of SA Dasher technically? If so, I'll nominate that gladly :D .
The first round ends on Sunday 26 November, 19:00 UTC.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Nov 2017, 19:02

GMK 9009 R2. Absolute classic colorway and lots of sales! The only new keycap set that was able to crack into my wallet yet.

Oblotzky

21 Nov 2017, 19:04

webwit wrote: The keycap(s) must be newer than November 26, 2016 to qualify for this year's DTAs. You cannot nominate your keycap(s).
To clarify, the keycaps must actually exist (as in shipped out) in this timeframe right? So GMK Laser that is still in group buy phase would not count?

I'd like to nominate SA Godspeed by MiTo. GB was in September 2016, shipped out from Massdrop June 2017.

While it sparked a lot of 'drama' with its long delays and the double shipments later on, it should not be remembered for that but for how beautiful it recreates old vintage NASA equipment from the same time period as where our beloved spherical keycaps come from. A nice, calm tone of blue paired with creamy alphas, topped off with a few novelties and novelty text caps.

and also SA Camping by MonkeySix, GB was in August 2016 and shipped out from KeyClack in April 2017.

Not only do the maroon red, forest green and also creamy alphas pair so nicely, it exceeded in the department of novelties. Just lovely icons that bring this colorway to a whole other level.

Last edited by Oblotzky on 21 Nov 2017, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2017, 19:08

Yeah they must exist.

dreLLin

21 Nov 2017, 19:13

+ 1 for Camping it's so beautiful

dalesnail

21 Nov 2017, 19:56

Also nominating MFcaps for the best booty in the game.

codemonkeymike

21 Nov 2017, 20:00

dalesnail wrote: Also nominating MFcaps for the best booty in the game.
Spoiler:
Welcome to Deskthority

My choice will be "MiTo Canvas XDA". I just got mine in last week and they look quite purdy on my ergodox. They are simple, the typeface is nice, they are PBT, and the symbol set makes it a show stopper

Myoth

21 Nov 2017, 20:23

Nominating GMK Terminal, can't get enough it it !

andrewjoy

21 Nov 2017, 20:27

Wow they are awsome ! , 2 questions , can i still get them ? and do they do alps mount ?

Myoth

21 Nov 2017, 20:32

andrewjoy wrote: Wow they are awsome ! , 2 questions , can i still get them ? and do they do alps mount ?
It got shipped in January, so you'd have to get them aftermarket ... and no, unfortunately they were'nt made with Alps mount :cry:

recon8659

21 Nov 2017, 20:36

EnjoyPBT Cherry Profile PBT Dyesubs

Whether it's their cyan/magenta Hangul legends, or their black/red Cyrillic legends, these keycaps are super popular and very classy looking.

kekstee

21 Nov 2017, 21:24

Meddle wrote: If I'm nominating an Artisan, am I the maker? A singular cap?
You seriously misunderstood something.
The maker is whoever designed/produced it.

And the only new keycaps on the market worth a damn are GMK.
Thanks mike for the the great nomination

In that spirit I would nominate GMK Originative WoB, for bringing back an absolute classic on a wide range of layouts.

davkol

21 Nov 2017, 22:31

I nominate Leopold PBT doubleshots for the obvious: stock PBT doubleshot keycaps made to a very high standard in tasteful color schemes.

Khers

22 Nov 2017, 08:58

I would like to nominate GMK Burgundy for being colourful but not gaudy
(Photo credit: DanielT)
Last edited by Khers on 22 Nov 2017, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

22 Nov 2017, 09:17

Hey, I have manged to take quite a decent photo there :D

Khers

22 Nov 2017, 09:21

How could you not take a good pic with TX60 and Burgundy? :D

HeroXLazer

22 Nov 2017, 17:09

I really like GMK Terminal.

Khers

23 Nov 2017, 14:25

Just remembered GMK Honeywell probably debuted this year:
Image stolen from KeyChatter

I would like to nominate GMK Honeywell for bringing Round 5 to the cylindrical realm.

sachin3767

23 Nov 2017, 14:46

+1 MiTo Canvas XDA

chuckdee

23 Nov 2017, 15:33

+1 Honeywell.

Also GMK Oblivion!

The ability to switch out the alphas to make your own version of the classic IDE theme, and make it mono or colored. Putting it on my board today, and I'll post a picture!

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Nov 2017, 20:46

Due to popular demand, I split the keycaps category and created an artisan keycap category.

_PixelNinja

23 Nov 2017, 22:18

Thanks Ol' Duck. I think it's for the best.

Chyros

23 Nov 2017, 23:00

Is this the year of SA Dasher technically? If so, I'll nominate that gladly :D .

Oblotzky

23 Nov 2017, 23:23

Chyros wrote: Is this the year of SA Dasher technically? If so, I'll nominate that gladly :D .
It is, GB was in December 2016 and delivery was in September 2017

Here's a nice pic of it for the nominee gallery.

Also thanks chuckdee for nominating GMK Oblivion :) I'll try to snap some nice pics over the weekend to really show it off.

marijan

24 Nov 2017, 09:43

/dev/tty obviously

Oblotzky

24 Nov 2017, 17:05

marijan wrote: /dev/tty obviously

Excluded due to non-existent. Ships out ~January to current estimates. Also it was designed by matt3o, who is excluded as well since he's running the award. The set itself would surely be a worthy nomination tho for sure, don't get me wrong!

marijan

24 Nov 2017, 21:11

Oblotzky wrote:
marijan wrote: /dev/tty obviously

Excluded due to non-existent. Ships out ~January to current estimates. Also it was designed by matt3o, who is excluded as well since he's running the award. The set itself would surely be a worthy nomination tho for sure, don't get me wrong!
No problem. I understand. Let me just quote it again as it deserves another appearance :lol:

Oblotzky

25 Nov 2017, 22:03

Some proper pics for GMK Oblivion, thanks again chuckdee for the nomination :)

jkaos92

25 Nov 2017, 23:00

XDA Canvas!

I know this is not gonna be a popular opinion because Cherry and other profiles are really liked here. But for who likes flat profiles, XDA is miles better than DSA.

It's a pleasure for me to type on XDA, that is basically a better DSA with a larger surface. This imho is the only new good thing of the year regarding keycaps, the rest of the caps were just new keysets with different colors in the same profile (e.g. GMK, that i like yeah, but nothing new to me, just the typical initial hype when you get them).

EDIT: CANVAS already nominated :/
Last edited by jkaos92 on 25 Nov 2017, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

25 Nov 2017, 23:28

I really like GMK Honeywell and Oblivion both. Shame I missed them both. Would be happy to see either win.

Not really a fan of any of the others apart from GMK 9009 which is a nice set but isn't novel enough to win a DTA, in my opinion.

Return to “Call for nominees”