Deleting galleries

tactica

23 Nov 2017, 19:29

wiki/Talk:Cherry_G80-1000_gal

Just in case interested parties don't follow wiki activity.

Engicoder

23 Nov 2017, 19:51

Agreed. It seems that these galleries are superfluous as the images are already included in the pages for those keyboards.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Nov 2017, 19:53

I support your proposition, not sure if it would be called for to PM the author(s) of that page? They should see this and the content is otherwise documented like you say.

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Nov 2017, 20:46

PS Pretty much nobody (except me) reads Talk pages. I find Talk pages obnoxious as they hang around like a bad smell, and it's just people talking to themselves. It may work better on Wikipedia, but here it's pretty useless. A few people will remember the Macintosh concept of a worksheet, a sort of "command prompt on a whiteboard" — talk pages are like trying to run a forum on a whiteboard, using permanent markers …

As for the gallery pages, I never knew they were there.

PS as for some of the missing categories you're creating, think twice about creating them, as many of them are just guesswork and don't fit in with current practice, and/or would require recategorising everything else to match. If you really want to categorise keyboards by individual Cherry MX switch model, be my guest …

Just because you see a redlink does not mean that it should exist. It could be a poor or wrong choice of page name or category, ignorance of the existing page under a similar but not exactly identical name, or a plain typo.

tactica

23 Nov 2017, 20:59

Thank you all for the feedback.

@Daniel Beardsmore

That's a good point re: redlinks. Currently I'm trying to clear the list of wanted categories, but I'm not sure what to do with some of them so they will stay in limbo. I tend to check if you edited a given page after the wanted category was added and assume that if you didn't change it or delete it, you agree it should exist. Dunno, maybe I give you too much credit 8-)
Last edited by tactica on 23 Nov 2017, 21:06, edited 3 times in total.

seebart

23 Nov 2017, 20:59

As you can see a few people read this one so this is more than "bad smell" Daniel...I have a few keyboards on my personal list that I'm not sure where to add in the wiki so I'll use the wiki talk for a change. I guess this is amost like a private closed area because most just aren't interested.

tactica

23 Nov 2017, 21:05

@seebart

You can keep using your personal page for that. You can even create separate pages, like User:seebart/keyboards, User:seebart/keypads or whatever to keep it all nice and tidy and still avoid using the main namespace if you aren't sure of where to put stuff.

seebart

23 Nov 2017, 21:14

tactica wrote: @seebart

You can keep using your personal page for that. You can even create separate pages, like User:seebart/keyboards, User:seebart/keypads or whatever to keep it all nice and tidy and still avoid using the main namespace if you aren't sure of where to put stuff.
Hmm if you say so but something like this NCR branded Cherry G80-0624 shouldn't be seperate from other Cherry keyboards IMO. A better example is my Olympia People Microcomputer keyboard because thats pretty unique although it's really "only" a Fujitsu Leaf Spring.

keyboards-f2/ncr-h0150-std1-10-17-t1065 ... %2010%2017

keyboards-f2/olympia-people-microcomput ... it=olympia

tactica

23 Nov 2017, 21:43

@seebart

Well, there are both "Cherry OEM keyboards" and "Fujitsu OEM keyboards" categories that would apply here IMO. The latter would also go into "Keyboards with Fujitsu Leaf Spring switches" and so on. If you're afraid they will feel lonely afar from their kin, you can always add a "See also" section or use some cheap excuse to link to their relatives. Now get on with it :)

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Nov 2017, 22:26

seebart wrote: As you can see a few people read this one so this is more than "bad smell" Daniel...
I'm not wholly sure what you mean — it's the Talk pages in MediaWiki itself that never get noticed. I've found Talk pages that were created six months or a year or more ago, and nobody ever responded to the comment. I keep pointing out not to use Talk pages, and people keep using them.

The forum is the place to discuss the wiki. Talk pages are a strange Wikipedia idea that may suit their needs better.

seebart

23 Nov 2017, 22:36

tactica wrote: Now get on with it :)
:o :? :mrgreen:
Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
seebart wrote: As you can see a few people read this one so this is more than "bad smell" Daniel...
I'm not wholly sure what you mean — it's the Talk pages in MediaWiki itself that never get noticed. I've found Talk pages that were created six months or a year or more ago, and nobody ever responded to the comment. I keep pointing out not to use Talk pages, and people keep using them.

The forum is the place to discuss the wiki. Talk pages are a strange Wikipedia idea that may suit their needs better.
I understand, but even here it is a "limited" audience as it were...not automatically a bad thing.

tactica

23 Nov 2017, 22:42

The main problem with talk pages in main namespace is that they don't trigger an email notification like editing an user (talk) page does, hence unless you don't have better things to do than staring at the recent changes list hitting F5 every now and then, you don't notice those edits. A bit of a shame, but I agree with Daniel, this is something that works better on Wikipedia - here, it is like asking people to drop Facebook and return to Usenet... Ah, those were the times :D

Findecanor

24 Nov 2017, 09:41

I'd take Usenet News over Facebook any day ...

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”