2017 end of year teaser

Chyros

04 Dec 2017, 20:32

I didn't post the last few teasers on here, but this one is quite special, so I'm making an exception for this one.

lancre

04 Dec 2017, 20:34

Holy crap is that a Space Cadet?

...And are you typing it on a Lisp machine?

depletedvespene

04 Dec 2017, 20:37

The first ~40 seconds of the video are quite probably Chyros' 5155's screen.

Lustique

04 Dec 2017, 21:02

Did you break into webwit's? Is it duck for Christmas? :duck:

purdobol

04 Dec 2017, 21:24

I'll give you 100$ for it. And consider yourself lucky for getting that much!
Can add some 60% booze to sweeten the deal.

Ir0n

04 Dec 2017, 21:29

purdobol wrote: I'll give you 100$ for it. And consider yourself lucky for getting that much!
Can add some 60% booze to sweeten the deal.
$150.
Don't deal with these low balling chumps. :lol:

Chyros

04 Dec 2017, 21:42

depletedvespene wrote: The first ~40 seconds of the video are quite probably Chyros' 5155's screen.
Bingo! I was looking into vintage computer terminal simulators to do the video with, but couldn't find any, and then I remembered I had the 5155 which is even better :D .

Slom

04 Dec 2017, 22:05

font.png
font.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 8871 times

Lustique

04 Dec 2017, 22:16

Chyros wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: The first ~40 seconds of the video are quite probably Chyros' 5155's screen.
Bingo! I was looking into vintage computer terminal simulators to do the video with, but couldn't find any, and then I remembered I had the 5155 which is even better :D .
Did you see this one?

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

04 Dec 2017, 22:41

Jesus, you actually managed to put your hands on one of those

Findecanor

04 Dec 2017, 22:55

Is that a loan from webwit? His is also caseless and you are both in the Netherlands, if I'm not mistaken ...

wobbled

05 Dec 2017, 09:46

I fail to see why an overrated linear board is referred to as the 'holy grail'

Starck

05 Dec 2017, 09:57

I read the title on Youtube wrong and it gave me a little scare, i thought Chyros was announcing his last (for ever) review. :/

But luckily i was wrong :)

Daniel Beardsmore

05 Dec 2017, 09:59

Lustique wrote: Did you see this one?
Almost there! My beef with it is that it depicts sharp, almost square pixels. They've way overdone the glow around the letters, but left all the pixels sharp and clear. Maybe CRTs looked better when new — I've never had a new CRT in my life. I certainly never saw the individual pixels like that on any 80s CRT, which is why 2 bpp dithering was almost practical.

Not only that, but when I switched to LCD I got far better colour, too …

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

05 Dec 2017, 09:59

wobbled wrote: I fail to see why an overrated linear board is referred to as the 'holy grail'
Because it's the holy grail of rareness, not feelings.

wobbled

05 Dec 2017, 10:04

ramnes wrote:
wobbled wrote: I fail to see why an overrated linear board is referred to as the 'holy grail'
Because it's the holy grail of rareness, not feelings.
It isn't though, there are probably custom made keyboards out there that were built in extremely small batches for the military or government that are just as rare if not more so. Some beamspring variants are probably just as rare as well. The whole hype behind these is completely ridiculous tbh.

purdobol

05 Dec 2017, 10:17

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
Almost there! My beef with it is that it depicts sharp, almost square pixels. They've way overdone the glow around the letters, but left all the pixels sharp and clear. Maybe CRTs looked better when new — I've never had a new CRT in my life. I certainly never saw the individual pixels like that on any 80s CRT, which is why 2 bpp dithering was almost practical.

To properly simulate CRT screen, very high resolutions are needed. 4K and up.
This term reminds me one of those old plasma displays more than CRT. It's still cool though.

Chyros

05 Dec 2017, 11:41

Lustique wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Did you see this one?
Yes, but unlike what I presume to be everyone else here, I'm not a programmer, so I use Windows, and neither Swordfish nor Cathode (another one) is available for normal operating systems :p .
Starck wrote: I read the title on Youtube wrong and it gave me a little scare, i thought Chyros was announcing his last (for ever) review. :/

But luckily i was wrong :)
Originally I intended to stop at the end of this year, actually :p . But then again, I thought the same last year xD .

Lustique

05 Dec 2017, 12:57

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Almost there! My beef with it is that it depicts sharp, almost square pixels. They've way overdone the glow around the letters, but left all the pixels sharp and clear. Maybe CRTs looked better when new — I've never had a new CRT in my life. I certainly never saw the individual pixels like that on any 80s CRT, which is why 2 bpp dithering was almost practical.

Well, to be honest, I don't think I have ever seen a monochrome CRT IRL, apart from old TVs. The oldest CRT I can remember using was already a colour CRT with at least 800×600 resolution, I think. I guess I'm too young for this, so I have no idea how accurate that representation is. :oops:

I do think that it looks better in use than in the screenshots, though.
Chyros wrote: Yes, but unlike what I presume to be everyone else here, I'm not a programmer, so I use Windows, and neither Swordfish nor Cathode (another one) is available for normal operating systems :p . […]

No wonder you couldn't find any terminal simulator.

I'm not a programmer, either, by the way, although I somehow did presume you used either Linux or Mac OS.

I still try to avoid Windows whenever I can. I only have a Linux-Windows 7 dual-boot setup because of a couple of games that don't run on Windows. Luckily, except for AAA stuff that I'd probably ignore either way, most (to me) interesting games today seem to be getting released for Linux, as well as Windows (and Mac OS), so I hope I'll never have to bother with a newer version of Windows again. But to each their own, I guess.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Dec 2017, 13:37

Lustique wrote: […] Well, to be honest, I don't think I have ever seen a monochrome CRT IRL, apart from old TVs. The oldest CRT I can remember using was already a colour CRT with at least 800×600 resolution, I think. I guess I'm too young for this, so I have no idea how accurate that representation is. :oops: […]
off-topic-f10/keyboard-enthusiast-age-s ... 13274.html :mrgreen:

andrewjoy

05 Dec 2017, 15:04

Lustique wrote:
The oldest CRT I can remember using was already a colour CRT with at least 800×600 resolution, I think. I guess I'm too young for this, so I have no idea how accurate that representation is. :oops:

Check out you and your fancy pants high resolution display!

The thing is, at that time the consumer CRT monitors got pretty terrible with crappy tubes from china, and early on they also sacrificed colour for resolution. So you could have high res OR high colour. But this is for digital CRTs like PC monitors, they fall short in clarity of low resolution text and images in the same way as LCDs do.

Real analog CRTs do not have a pixel to pixel mapping the "resolution" of a CRT is in scanning lines and TV lines ( or lines of horizontal resolution). The more TV lines you have the higher your horizontal resolution, so say a consumer grade TV is going to have about 300 TVL and look also pretty terrible where ass high end video monitors have 600-900 TVL, in fact sonys incredible BVM-A32E1WU and BVM-A24E1WU are 1000TVL !

So CRTs are not terrible, just most people had terrible CRTs

Lustique

05 Dec 2017, 16:37

kbdfr wrote:
Lustique wrote: […] Well, to be honest, I don't think I have ever seen a monochrome CRT IRL, apart from old TVs. The oldest CRT I can remember using was already a colour CRT with at least 800×600 resolution, I think. I guess I'm too young for this, so I have no idea how accurate that representation is. :oops: […]
off-topic-f10/keyboard-enthusiast-age-s ... 13274.html :mrgreen:
Yay, part of the 20% (barely)! :mrgreen:
andrewjoy wrote: […]
Check out you and your fancy pants high resolution display!

The thing is, at that time the consumer CRT monitors got pretty terrible with crappy tubes from china, and early on they also sacrificed colour for resolution. So you could have high res OR high colour. But this is for digital CRTs like PC monitors, they fall short in clarity of low resolution text and images in the same way as LCDs do.

Real analog CRTs do not have a pixel to pixel mapping the "resolution" of a CRT is in scanning lines and TV lines ( or lines of horizontal resolution). The more TV lines you have the higher your horizontal resolution, so say a consumer grade TV is going to have about 300 TVL and look also pretty terrible where ass high end video monitors have 600-900 TVL, in fact sonys incredible BVM-A32E1WU and BVM-A24E1WU are 1000TVL !

So CRTs are not terrible, just most people had terrible CRTs
Yeah, I think at first I liked my last CRT better than my first LCD (colours, contrast, etc.). But at the time I got my first LCD, I had visited some kind of occupational safety exhibition with my school, where I learned that apparently CRTs give you eye cancer. So when I told my parents about this, knowing how much time I spen{d,t} in front of those things, my father got his third LCD and I got his second. :D

This last CRT was also not exactly small and so heavy that the top metal plate of my old computer desk at my parents' still has a dent/dents from the monitor's base…

kbdfr
The Tiproman

05 Dec 2017, 16:50

Lustique wrote: […] at the time I got my first LCD, I had visited some kind of occupational safety exhibition with my school, where I learned that apparently CRTs give you eye cancer. […]
This was (and still is) a widespread but wrong belief. Not CRTs, but what they display, cause eye cancer,
and this of course equally applies to other visual devices.

Lustique

05 Dec 2017, 16:55

kbdfr wrote: […]
This was (and still is) a widespread but wrong belief. Not CRTs, but what they display, cause eye cancer,
and this of course equally applies to other visual devices.
Looking at the size of her head, she probably has more than just eye cancer. :mrgreen:

purdobol

05 Dec 2017, 17:00

andrewjoy wrote: But this is for digital CRTs like PC monitors, they fall short in clarity of low resolution text and images in the same way as LCDs do.
They do?
What is digital CRT exactly?

andrewjoy

05 Dec 2017, 17:10

i was talking more about displaying analog low res images on high res CRTs with digital processing

purdobol

05 Dec 2017, 17:24

That's down to digital processing part though. If done correctly even very low res can be displayed without any issues (lowest I've tested was 200p).

Sad part is CRTs were superior in every way except size and power consumption, to displays we have today...

andrewjoy

05 Dec 2017, 17:37

I am a firm believer that content should be displayed on the display it was designed for .

a modern video shot on a red 8k and scaled down for even the best CRT is going to look terrible.

But an old game on the megadrive is going to look terrible on your OLED.

The, inaccuracy of a CRT was an advantage to older content stored at lower res on low quality media .

Take VHS , everyone plugs that old VHS player into a modern flatscreen via composite or even component and wonder why it looks like utter shite when it scaled up to a 60 inch 4k screen. But play that exact same content on a CRT over RGBs or Y Pb Pr component and the story would be different.

TuxKey
LLAP

19 Dec 2017, 11:58

oeeee almost there looking forward to it..hahhaa

Return to “Off-topic”