Designing a custom Topre board

codemonkeymike

05 Dec 2017, 23:50

cookie wrote: I feel like the women of my dreams gave me her number, I texted here and never got texted back.
He'll be back, they all come back...

cookie

06 Dec 2017, 11:46

I fear this one not... this one not.

III

18 May 2018, 12:37

Looks amazing!

Regarding the PCB, have you looked at the Dactyl keyboard and how they solved the problem?

nuclear_wizard

21 Jun 2018, 17:41

Man, this is a beautiful project. Hope to hear more soon!

drkeyb

22 Mar 2019, 20:41

Any updates? This look really amazing.

DMA

31 Mar 2019, 23:34

Oh, btw. I have a topre on my table with controller replaces by CommonSense. I mean, _completely_. No active components from original keyboard.

The only problem is you need to get switch mechanisms from somewhere.

Sangdrax

01 Apr 2019, 02:07

Yep. Your gear works with any capacitive anything I've ever come across. You just need to source the physical switches from somewhere and stuff like Topre, Tall Keytronic or Model F having discrete switches means all you really need is a custom plate and PCB with the pads for whatever you want.

Hell you can even mix switch types since you included that wonderful individual threshold feature. That's how I got the blue switch hooked up on my 3178.

squizzler

06 Apr 2019, 11:36

Sangdrax wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 02:07
Yep. Your gear works with any capacitive anything I've ever come across. You just need to source the physical switches from somewhere and stuff like Topre, Tall Keytronic or Model F having discrete switches means all you really need is a custom plate and PCB with the pads for whatever you want.

Hell you can even mix switch types since you included that wonderful individual threshold feature. That's how I got the blue switch hooked up on my 3178.
If the over-riding desire is to use capacitive switches, a much simpler option is the new range of EC from Varmilo which are Cherry pattern units. This might open the door for those smitten by the feel of Topre to build individual PCB for those and the EC provides a more cost conscious option for the rest of us, using the same controller for both.

Laser
emacs -nw

06 Apr 2019, 13:18

How are the EC switches from Varmilo? I don't know how these totally went under my radar. (OK, I did a search and found Hasu's post at GH - smooth linears, no domes, potential problems with any future tactile variant)

Return to “Workshop”