Split space bar and programmable?

benbenben

07 Dec 2017, 23:36

Hi all,

I'd appreciate any help with these two questions. For background, see below.

1. I'm interested in a Filco Minila Air, but I don't know if there's any way to get it programmed the way I want, using AutoHotKey. Basically, I want the left Function button, between Alt and the space bar, to access a bigger function layer than the default function layer. See the layout image below for what I need in my function layer (fronts of keycaps). I'd need to make it so, for example, Fn+U sends an underline. But that seems impossible with AutoHotkey, because the minila air sends NOTHING when you press Fn+U, correct?

2. If it can't be done with a Minila Air, does anyone know of a programmable 60%-68% keyboard with a split or small spacebar, so I can access the function layer with my left thumb? Even just a PCB/kit would be OK. I've never soldered anything in my life but my pinky is weak and aching, and my thumb really wants to help!

BACKGROUND:

I have been using what I THOUGHT was the keyboard I'd be buried with, a Poker 3, for about 6 months now. It's fantastic. I programmed it so that all my special characters ( ! @ # $ % ^ _ - + \ * ( ) { } [ ]) are accessible via Function + a button closer to the home row. The only problem is that I'm getting some emacs pinky, using it for all of the special characters, plus navigation, plus it's regular heavy duty of winkey, ctrl, shift, and tab. Other placements of the Function key have not worked for various reasons.

So the keyboard I will marry would be more or less like a poker 3, but with a split space bar, so that I can use my left thumb for Function. Or maybe just a shorter spacebar with room for a 1.5u button on the left. Wireless capability is a plus, but I doubt that will happen.

Thanks for any advice!

Findecanor

07 Dec 2017, 23:58

2: KBDfans' DZ60 PCB supports a split space bar and it is programmed with the popular QMK firmware.
You would have to use a 2.25 and a 2.75 key for the two space bars with a 1.25 key in the middle, and with regular spacing/location of modifiers on the left and right sides. Costs $35 + s/h without switches.

benbenben

08 Dec 2017, 02:39

I just bought two of those! I hope that wasn't a horrible mistake. I got the 67g zealios switches. Thanks for the tip.

Zobeid Zuma

11 Dec 2017, 18:32

You might take a look at what I did with my first build using a DZ60 PCB --> http://zobeid.zapto.org/misc/zo64.html

Nuum

11 Dec 2017, 19:56

For the spacebar 2.25u - 1.75u - 2.25u should also be possible, the 1.75u key would then use the pads for the 6.25u spacebar. I use this configuration on my BananaSplit and it looks more symmetrical than the other split spacebar options and the middle 1.75u key is almost centered on B.

benbenben

15 Dec 2017, 17:42

Zobeid Zuma wrote: You might take a look at what I did with my first build using a DZ60 PCB --> http://zobeid.zapto.org/misc/zo64.html
Wow, your layout is strikingly similar to my plans! I'll put the navigation cluster in the same spot as you. The main difference is that I made Ctrl and Alt a little more accessible because i do lots of keyboard shortcuts with those. Also I moved all the Shift+Number symbols off of the number buttons to make them closer. (This is how my pok3r is right now.) My only problem is I have a few keys I don't know what to do with:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... 47a7633bdf

benbenben

15 Dec 2017, 17:45

Nuum wrote: For the spacebar 2.25u - 1.75u - 2.25u should also be possible, the 1.75u key would then use the pads for the 6.25u spacebar. I use this configuration on my BananaSplit and it looks more symmetrical than the other split spacebar options and the middle 1.75u key is almost centered on B.
I actually want the space bar on the right to be a little bigger because I naturally place my right thumb between B and N. With the right at 2.75u I won't have to adjust much at all.

Return to “Keyboards”