School keyboard finds!

green-squid

22 Dec 2017, 18:03

It's the last day of school today and my old IT teacher, who's retiring next year, gave me some old keyboards he found in the school's storage!

Acorp International Soft key keyboard F-21S

Hey look' It's mechanical!
These are linear Alps switch clones from the looks of it, but they didn't use discrete switches or a PCB. the mount is probably Alps, but I don't have a keycap puller.
I will return to this project later, but I don't have a keycap puller atm. I ordered one, but it won't arrive until the middle of January.
Altrix Turbo-Jet KB-8801 B+

Despite the cool name, it's just a rubber dome. But it's pretty OK.
Hey look, it's an IBM!... Well, not the IBMs *you* own (they are too expensive, the recent keyboard craze drew the price up to the skies), but this is a space saving keyboard, and it's very good!
And I even own a computer to go along with it! Not something most of *you* can say! ;)

Volcano UT9800 - an interesting name for a keyboard..

It's a piece of crap. Interestingly, this is an AT plug keyboard made in October 2001.
What I do with crappy rubber domes is take them apart, take out the PCB (to salvage the capacitor and the LEDs) and the cable, keep the screws and trash the rest.
A Siemens keyboard!
I own the computer for this one! It came from the same place and I got the PC a year before already.

Hey look! A removable PS/2 cable!
Inside, it's a rubber dome keyboard, but it's an interesting one.

Last and probably least, the Hurricane KB-9810. Very tactile, but not worth keeping. This is an OEM keyboard. One of our school computer labs still has a black PS/2 or USB version of this, branded Chicony.
The name is cooler than the keyboard.
rubber dome. The cable and components are keepers, the rest are already thrown out (like with the Volcano) as I'm writing this.

So, that's it! I did pretty good in my opinion, especially that Acorp. Hopefully I can grab some more cool old tech before I finish primary school (next year september I'll be in High school, it's not like in America).

If you were expecting something better, here's something: our school used to have original IBM PCs back in the 80s. But one day they were *all* thrown out. Including the PCs, the lovely greensceen monitors and the keyboards! :(

What do you think of these?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

22 Dec 2017, 18:31

green-squid wrote: What do you think of these?
It's the start of a collection. Very cool. I also particularly like that they came out of a school (something that I like to collect). I have been eyeing the Siemens Scenic computers. There's something about that design that I like but I'm not sure I can place my finger on it. I am also happy to see that you have some of the matching computers for those keyboards. Great score!

green-squid

22 Dec 2017, 19:03

snuci wrote:
green-squid wrote: What do you think of these?
It's the start of a collection. Very cool. I also particularly like that they came out of a school (something that I like to collect). I have been eyeing the Siemens Scenic computers. There's something about that design that I like but I'm not sure I can place my finger on it. I am also happy to see that you have some of the matching computers for those keyboards. Great score!
Thank you! :D I've been collecting old computers since summer of 2016 if I recall correctly. Now I own a lot more stuff and my setup is completely different from what it was last year. I'm also different compared to last year. I'm less of a little shit now, but I still have a lot of room to improve ;) .

Problem is, I'm running out of space. So I may be selling some keyboard stuff, but not now, because I still have to ship something to a DT user, but life and the holidays found a way.

Also, I've seen you on /r/retrobattlestations!

tigpha

22 Dec 2017, 21:03

Hi, welcome :-)

The Acorp is a curious specimen. Are the metal leaf springs there to create a "click", or for a tactile feel? Or both? It's a pity that the matrix is mylar membrane. Only two-key-rollover, I suspect.

green-squid

22 Dec 2017, 21:34

tigpha wrote: Hi, welcome :-)

The Acorp is a curious specimen. Are the metal leaf springs there to create a "click", or for a tactile feel? Or both? It's a pity that the matrix is mylar membrane. Only two-key-rollover, I suspect.
It's probably a click. It's not tactile like rubber dome.

Daniel Beardsmore

22 Dec 2017, 23:32

Acorp: [wiki]Tai-Hao APC semi-mechanical keyboard[/wiki]

Funky PCB in the Siemens keyboard.

Chyros

23 Dec 2017, 02:01

It's a Razer Ornata! :D

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

24 Dec 2017, 00:13

My first computer at home was a Siemens Pro M5, which looked a lot like the one in the pics, but it was a tower version.

Can't remember what the keyboard was like (this was about 20 years ago), I'm pretty sure it didn't have win keys though.

tigpha

24 Dec 2017, 11:04

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Acorp: [wiki]Tai-Hao APC semi-mechanical keyboard[/wiki]
What encyclopaedic knowledge, monsieur Beardsmore!

Looks like green-squid scored a nice set of double-shot Alps-compatible key caps, at very least.

q11q11

25 Dec 2017, 23:27

> gave me some old keyboards he found in the school's storage!
And none of them are mech...

Yasu0

07 Dec 2020, 19:45

One day after everybody trashes 99% of the vintage rubber domes and mechs rule the world... the rubber dome keyboard will be valuable. Mark my words. :lol:

Return to “Gallery”