mec.Numpad - Homemade Keypad

Afferscheim

30 Dec 2017, 17:16

Hi All,

I mad a small keypad as a first build:

You can check out the full post there https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93226.0

Let me know what do you think !

chuckdee

30 Dec 2017, 17:26

#dta2018

Early Nomination for Best "other" input device or Best Project depending on how the categories fall.

Afferscheim

30 Dec 2017, 17:31

chuckdee wrote: #dta2018

Early Nomination for Best "other" input device or Best Project depending on how the categories fall.
Thanks! Do you enjoy the knob sound ? https://youtu.be/bEPTY0YaYSE

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

30 Dec 2017, 18:04

I really like the retro feel this has. Very nice! The two keycaps on the bottom row look off, but I'm sure you're already fixing that :)
How much does the whole thing cost you? And, would it be possible and easy to do this in a macropad version, with a 5 by 4 cluster of 1u keys?

Afferscheim

30 Dec 2017, 18:11

DustGod wrote: I really like the retro feel this has. Very nice! The two keycaps on the bottom row look off, but I'm sure you're already fixing that :)
How much does the whole thing cost you? And, would it be possible and easy to do this in a macropad version, with a 5 by 4 cluster of 1u keys?
Thanks ! Correct, the keycaps are not made for this row, indeed trying to fix them - by buying others :mrgreen:

To produce this prototype probably cost something like 300USD, completely unoptimized supply chain, I had most of my costs in transport fees...

The macropad idea sounds great! In case of upgrade of the project I will remember this idea!

TuxKey
LLAP

30 Dec 2017, 18:55

You made this !! impressive ass hell looks good my compliments :ugeek:

looks like the "Microsoft's Surface Dial "

you mentioned the four switches on the right.. i would turn does keys in to toggle switches for the knob..
don't know if that's what you mean when you say "rotary encoder".

So the default behavior for the knob would be volume control.
But pressing the left key and turning the knob turns it in to vertical scrolling.
And right key would adjust brightness.
lower left zoom..
and lower right don't know yet. haha so many options..

where did you learn to do this ???? Electrical engineering ?
i would call this an improvement on the "Microsoft's Surface Dial " like 100 times better hahaha.

Vecktrex

30 Dec 2017, 19:51

I like the simple, clean aesthetic. Looks like the perfect mini-macro board. My brother was complaining about the absence of a volume knob on his new keyboard, might point him to one of these builds.

Afferscheim

30 Dec 2017, 20:17

TuxKey wrote: You made this !! impressive ass hell looks good my compliments :ugeek:

looks like the "Microsoft's Surface Dial "

you mentioned the four switches on the right.. i would turn does keys in to toggle switches for the knob..
don't know if that's what you mean when you say "rotary encoder".

So the default behavior for the knob would be volume control.
But pressing the left key and turning the knob turns it in to vertical scrolling.
And right key would adjust brightness.
lower left zoom..
and lower right don't know yet. haha so many options..

where did you learn to do this ???? Electrical engineering ?
i would call this an improvement on the "Microsoft's Surface Dial " like 100 times better hahaha.
Thanks for the good words!

The four switches on the right are programmable (as all the switches and the knob features) for now I can change the behavior of the knob switching layers - there are 4 layers on this one. For now I use the four keys as media control (start/pause - stop - previous - next), but surely the brightness control is a good idea :idea:

I never thought about the scrolling feature - I am not so familiar with the Microsoft Dial - but I will definitely try to configure scrolling on the knob - thanks for the great idea :idea: - I will keep you up to date.

Electronic is my main skill so I can design such circuit but my main challenge was the enclosure and mechanical design was quite a challenge for me :mrgreen:

Afferscheim

30 Dec 2017, 20:19

Vecktrex wrote: I like the simple, clean aesthetic. Looks like the perfect mini-macro board. My brother was complaining about the absence of a volume knob on his new keyboard, might point him to one of these builds.
Thanks! glad that you like the look of the board 8-)

Scarpia

30 Dec 2017, 21:39

That is a gorgeous build, Afferscheim. The case is particularly nice, clearly custom yet sleek and top-of-the-line with what looks like tight tolerances and the anodized finish - so cool! And as someone who owns a Griffin PowerMate, I applaud the style of your rotary encoder.

With those skills, I suspect you could make a solid living designing custom keyboard kits.

The Griffin PowerMate:
Spoiler:

mecano

30 Dec 2017, 22:49

The powerMate can be pushed/clicked though.
You should try to replace that rotary encoder with a momentary push rotary encoder so the encoder behaviour could be switched by it own.
Did you use tmk or qmk?

Afferscheim

30 Dec 2017, 23:15

Scarpia wrote: That is a gorgeous build, Afferscheim. The case is particularly nice, clearly custom yet sleek and top-of-the-line with what looks like tight tolerances and the anodized finish - so cool! And as someone who owns a Griffin PowerMate, I applaud the style of your rotary encoder.

With those skills, I suspect you could make a solid living designing custom keyboard kits.

The Griffin PowerMate:
Spoiler:
Thanks Scarpia, appreciate your comments about the enclosure!

I did not know about the Griffin PowerMate, it's quite a nice peripheral.

Laser
emacs -nw

30 Dec 2017, 23:17

mecano wrote: The powerMate can be pushed/clicked though.
From the OP Features List description on geekhack:
3. clicky programmable rotary encoder from Alps with a huge knob (can be pushed down too)

Afferscheim

30 Dec 2017, 23:21

mecano wrote: The powerMate can be pushed/clicked though.
You should try to replace that rotary encoder with a momentary push rotary encoder so the encoder behaviour could be switched by it own.
Did you use tmk or qmk?
Hi mecano, the knob can be pushed down too - it behaves like a pushbutton. You can check this out : https://youtu.be/bEPTY0YaYSE

What do you meant by tmk / gmk ?

Thanks for the suggestion anyway 8-)

mecano

30 Dec 2017, 23:39

Oh… if the OP is lazy enough to not copy/paste full features here, don't blame me of being too lazy to not have cross reading through boards to understand what is happening here :mrgreen:
So what is this running with? teensy, arduino? Can we see the insides?
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard
https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware

Afferscheim

30 Dec 2017, 23:47

mecano wrote: Oh… if the OP is lazy enough to not copy/paste full features here, don't blame me of being too lazy to not have cross reading through boards to understand what is happening here :mrgreen:
So what is this running with? teensy, arduino? Can we see the insides?
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard
https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware
nobody is blaming you :mrgreen: - none of these - I built this board around a SK5126 - if you are interested, you can learn more there : http://sprintek.com/products/SK5126.aspx

However, If I would produce a batch of these, I would re-design the board to use a different controller, an ATMEGA would do fine as example.

mecano

30 Dec 2017, 23:59

Ehehe, was my way of blaming you :P
Yup go atmega and tmk/qmk, you will feel the fresh air of freedom and almost limitless possibilities considering that sk5126 FlexMatrix Programmer interface ;)

Afferscheim

31 Dec 2017, 00:08

mecano wrote: Ehehe, was my way of blaming you :P
Yup go atmega and tmk/qmk, you will feel the fresh air of freedom and almost limitless possibilities considering that sk5126 FlexMatrix Programmer interface ;)
I have to agree with you, I will update this thread with my future decisions for sure 8-)

depletedvespene

11 Jan 2018, 02:21

Afferscheim wrote: Let me know what do you think !
First things first: colour me very impressed. This device is in the "shut up and take my money!" category.

Second things second: what follows are my opinions, so feel free to tell me to sod off. Now...

I can already imagine myself using this... but I would be rotating the knob with my annular (ring) finger (this with the numpad either located to the right or to the left of the main keyboard). It therefore follows that the knob should be smaller (and lighter). How about making it 2U wide, to coincide with the small 2×2 pad below it, and only a little taller than the keys themselves, so moving the hand from the keys to the knob and back is more natural?

The knob sound is perfect. Keep it like that.

This kind of device also screams to have "left-handed" and "right-handed" versions.

I definitely look forward to seeing more of this!

derzemel

11 Jan 2018, 16:01

depletedvespene wrote: How about making it 2U wide, to coincide with the small 2×2 pad below it, and only a little taller than the keys themselves, so moving the hand from the keys to the knob and back is more natural?
I was thinking the same. Also I think that adding a dimple in the top of the knob would make it easier to spin with one finger. Something like this:
Spoiler:

Afferscheim

13 Jan 2018, 18:43

depletedvespene wrote:
Afferscheim wrote: Let me know what do you think !
I can already imagine myself using this... but I would be rotating the knob with my annular (ring) finger (this with the numpad either located to the right or to the left of the main keyboard). It therefore follows that the knob should be smaller (and lighter). How about making it 2U wide, to coincide with the small 2×2 pad below it, and only a little taller than the keys themselves, so moving the hand from the keys to the knob and back is more natural?

The knob sound is perfect. Keep it like that.

This kind of device also screams to have "left-handed" and "right-handed" versions.

!
Thanks for suggestions! I appreciate all the feedbacks! I like the idea of making it lighter and a little bit smaller as well.

The left handed model will for sure be available in case of a group buy !

Afferscheim

13 Jan 2018, 18:45

derzemel wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: How about making it 2U wide, to coincide with the small 2×2 pad below it, and only a little taller than the keys themselves, so moving the hand from the keys to the knob and back is more natural?
I was thinking the same. Also I think that adding a dimple in the top of the knob would make it easier to spin with one finger. Something like this:
Spoiler:
Thank you for the suggestion! I like this idea a lot!

A320mech

18 May 2019, 12:42

Hi Everyone, new guy here. Found this thread while googling for the SK5126 controller.
First of all, cool keypad, I'm a fan!
The reason I was Googling the SK5126 is because I need to buy a couple of them and (since I'm in Germany), the shipping price from the Manufacturer is prohibitively expensive. Does anyone know how I can get a couple of these chips shipped here without having to sell a kidney please?

(For those of you curious enough to ask what I'm doing: I'm a fan of Blackberry's Physical keyboards, especially the later ones which also double as a trackpad. I'm trying to hook up a keyboard off a BB Priv as a low-power USB output with a plan to later hook that up to whatever smartphone I'll buy next. (Long story))

Return to “Keyboards”