Round 5 and Round 6 kits for sale!

zslane

21 Jan 2018, 23:34

I don't use Blender, nor do I have any desire to install it on my computer. But I'm sure there must be a common geometry format that is compatible with both Houdini and Blender (e.g., .OBJ or something). Saving out the models in that format would be pretty straightforward, if someone familiar with Blender can tell me what that is.

jacopods

22 Jan 2018, 03:36

zslane wrote:I don't use Blender, nor do I have any desire to install it on my computer. But I'm sure there must be a common geometry format that is compatible with both Houdini and Blender (e.g., .OBJ or something). Saving out the models in that format would be pretty straightforward, if someone familiar with Blender can tell me what that is.
Obj should be fine

rominronin

22 Jan 2018, 09:24

zslane wrote:
caligo wrote: Believe me, I have done the whole "stay zen" bit...
Can confirm.
zslane wrote:
caligo wrote: complete silence is absolutely unnecessary (and extremely discourteous).
Agreed.

Now on to baseless speculation (because that's really what the internet is for).

PS. Has anyone tried SA on box switches? Can you comment on how wobbly they are to regular MX style stems (specifically with SA)?

mecano

22 Jan 2018, 10:04

I'd say more in a subtle way.

7bit

22 Jan 2018, 16:43

These oreders are all packed and will ship within the next few days:
:roll:

Sorry for the delay, but I had no money to pay for shipping.
:-(

Packing the next orders will go faster as stocks shrink down.
:-)

LightningXI

22 Jan 2018, 16:52

Oh boy, so close. Fingers crossed for 1152 (it's a leftovers order). :-)

saboy

22 Jan 2018, 17:02

Great news! Thanks 7bit!

lukenukum

22 Jan 2018, 17:12

7bit wrote: Sorry for the delay, but I had no money to pay for shipping.

BOOM! the man's back! :D

mecano

22 Jan 2018, 17:14

Yup and walking on eggs…

Am I right to hold my order? I mean will there be more leftovers in a short time or I have missed all greys??

Or should I pay now to help you fund shipping?

scl

22 Jan 2018, 18:28

7bit wrote: These oreders are all packed and will ship within the next few days:
:roll:

Sorry for the delay, but I had no money to pay for shipping.

off by 1. :(

zslane

22 Jan 2018, 19:17

caligo wrote: And if there was not enough money for shipping for some reason, 7bit would probably have been all over the thread with pleas to buy more leftovers just like last time. In other words, everything is most likely fine.
Looks like my instincts were dead on and everything was not fine. Now we have a new claim of shipment "in a few days". Color me skeptical, but (foolishly) hopeful.

caligo

22 Jan 2018, 19:47

zslane wrote:
caligo wrote: And if there was not enough money for shipping for some reason, 7bit would probably have been all over the thread with pleas to buy more leftovers just like last time. In other words, everything is most likely fine.
Looks like my instincts were dead on and everything was not fine. Now we have a new claim of shipment "in a few days". Color me skeptical, but (foolishly) hopeful.
Well, to be fair you also talked about a scenario where nothing had been shipped, packed, or even sorted. I'm not trying to be a cheerleader here, but things were obvously not as bad as you speculated they might be. In other words, I guess my optimism was about as misplaced as your pessimism. :)

Also, lack of communication is kind of par for the course when it comes to this GB. Outright miscommunication is something we haven't really seen that much of, though. I'm somewhat sceptical of how we can go from no money for shipping to 45 orders being shipped within the next few days, but I'm willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt for now. I guess we'll know soon enough, once tracking numbers start popping up in people's inboxes.

zslane

22 Jan 2018, 20:57

caligo wrote: Well, to be fair you also talked about a scenario where nothing had been shipped, packed, or even sorted.
I misspoke when I included sorting earlier, and I corrected myself pretty quickly. My ultimate point was that in the absence of information, there was no way to know if any packing or shipping had occurred. I didn't say that neither had occurred, only that we had no evidence to support any belief that it had, and plenty of evidence to suggest that at least no shipping had occurred (and mind you, many of the same reasons for lack of shipping can result in lack of packing as well).

The fact remains, I could tell something was wrong and we weren't being told about it. Everyone who assumed that everything was just "fine" may want to recalibrate their internal problem detectors a bit.

zslane

22 Jan 2018, 20:59

caligo wrote: Also, lack of communication is kind of par for the course when it comes to this GB.
To the contrary. When 7bit is in shipping mode, updates with lists of packed and/or shipped orders come pretty fast and furious. The lack of such updates for so long was a distinct departure from the norm for this phase of his GBs, and was most definitely not par for the course.

caligo

22 Jan 2018, 21:39

zslane wrote:
caligo wrote: Also, lack of communication is kind of par for the course when it comes to this GB.
To the contrary. When 7bit is in shipping mode, updates with lists of packed and/or shipped orders come pretty fast and furious. The lack of such updates for so long was a distinct departure from the norm for this phase of his GBs, and was most definitely not par for the course.
Fair enough, and I should probably have been more specific – I was referring to your scepticism of 7bits claim that those 45 listed orders will ship in the coming days. Updates of what had shipped where indeed quite frequent during the R5 days, if I recall correctly.

zslane

22 Jan 2018, 22:57

caligo wrote: ...your scepticism of 7bits claim that those 45 listed orders will ship in the coming days.
Well, also to be fair, this recent hiccup due to insufficient funds is enough to make anyone who has been through all the drama of this GB more than a little twitchy. Review my posts from last Fall when SP finally got around to manufacturing phase 2 and lots of folks were celebrating as though the last meaningful hurdle had been vaulted. Between the $10k that 7bit needed to clear phase 2 through German customs, and the I-forget-how-much needed to ship everything out to us, there was more than ample reason to be concerned that this very situation would arise and impose further delays.

With everything this GB has been through, a healthy skepticism is well-earned by all of us. Even so, I would much prefer to be very guardedly optimistic instead. But it's not that easy. After all, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I don't relish the thought of all the (self-directed) shame that would accompany being fooled a second time... ;)

caligo

23 Jan 2018, 07:23

zslane wrote:
caligo wrote: ...your scepticism of 7bits claim that those 45 listed orders will ship in the coming days.
Well, also to be fair, this recent hiccup due to insufficient funds is enough to make anyone who has been through all the drama of this GB more than a little twitchy. Review my posts from last Fall when SP finally got around to manufacturing phase 2 and lots of folks were celebrating as though the last meaningful hurdle had been vaulted. Between the $10k that 7bit needed to clear phase 2 through German customs, and the I-forget-how-much needed to ship everything out to us, there was more than ample reason to be concerned that this very situation would arise and impose further delays.

With everything this GB has been through, a healthy skepticism is well-earned by all of us. Even so, I would much prefer to be very guardedly optimistic instead. But it's not that easy. After all, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I don't relish the thought of all the (self-directed) shame that would accompany being fooled a second time... ;)
"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." ;)

Griffy

23 Jan 2018, 10:11

Im on the list woho. Hoping for a package soon.

These were probably the biggest orders, mine was a kilogram so smaller orders will cost less, but will offcourse be more in number but hopefully for everyone they wil start to ship out in bunches.

zslane

23 Jan 2018, 18:48

caligo wrote: "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." ;)
:D

Thanks, caligo...I needed a chuckle!

Lalufu

23 Jan 2018, 21:00

7bit wrote: These oreders are all packed and will ship within the next few days:
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

jedmund

26 Jan 2018, 06:01

hoo boy, i'm not going outside tomorrow so i don't get hit by a truck

flopix

26 Jan 2018, 11:05

looks like my 0640 wasn't big enough to be worthy of this iteration :)

saboy

26 Jan 2018, 16:00

I'm confused... if 7bit needs 1 month to pack and ship aprox 45 orders, means that, that he will need approx 26 months to prepare all 1200+ orders :shock: :?:

Ywg

26 Jan 2018, 16:10

He handles the biggest order first: fulfillment time is not linear.

zslane

26 Jan 2018, 20:38

saboy wrote: I'm confused... if 7bit needs 1 month to pack and ship aprox 45 orders, means that, that he will need approx 26 months to prepare all 1200+ orders :shock: :?:
I think there are two factors at play here:

1. Sorting and packing all the keycaps into the kits is very time consuming. It is tedious, meticulous work, and it is very easy to make mistakes. 7bit rarely makes mistakes in sorting, and that's because he takes his time. Honestly, I don't blame him for putting in the time on this phase of things because having to deal with corrections is logistically painful (on his end).

2. 7bit ran out of money to pay for shipping at the end of last year. It took another three weeks before he had to funds to continue making shipments. This sort of thing is likely to occur throughout the fulfillment of phase 2, which means shipments will come in inconsistent, unpredictable fits and spurts.

saboy

27 Jan 2018, 22:39

zslane wrote: ...
2. 7bit ran out of money to pay for shipping at the end of last year. It took another three weeks before he had to funds to continue making shipments. This sort of thing is likely to occur throughout the fulfillment of phase 2, which means shipments will come in inconsistent, unpredictable fits and spurts.
What do you think about if each one pay his shipping cost :?:
I mean, we put a lot of money for keycaps and I think that it will not be a problem to pay few more bucks for delivery.
This will solve the problem with collecting money for shipping and will speed (probably) the entire process.

Menuhin

28 Jan 2018, 00:39

saboy wrote:
zslane wrote: ...
What do you think about if each one pay his shipping cost :?:
I mean, we put a lot of money for keycaps and I think that it will not be a problem to pay few more bucks for delivery.
This will solve the problem with collecting money for shipping and will speed (probably) the entire process.
I second this suggestion but with a twist - because each of us who joint the GB have already paid in full the shipping cost and it won't be fair to those who have to pay more.
What I am I suggesting is for those who are in the queue of having their caps shipped, they can pay 7bit the lacking shipment to have their caps shipped first to enjoy "priority handling" - in return, 7bit can give those who pay for such "priority handling" a good non-expiring voucher in the form of "caps equivalent of certain amount of money" or a great discount for purchase in Round 7 or leftovers or other kits 7bit is going to offer (I hope). For those who are not interested in buying caps from 7bit's Rounds in the future, these vouchers (with unique codes) can be sold and transferred to those who are interested to having them.
This can be a remedy to the crisis but I guess 7bit doesn't have the thick skin to suggest that.

zslane

28 Jan 2018, 01:37

7bit won't go for that because it is too complicated. His usual remedy is to wait until funds from future sales come in and then use them to ship out current orders. This is how he has always done it, and I guarantee it will be the way he will continue to do it.

caligo

28 Jan 2018, 09:18

Also, such vouchers would just be more of the thing that got us to this spot in the first place – borrowing money from future GBs, which then start out with a negative balance. I don't think anyone wants that.

At the moment, there's always the option to just buy leftovers. This will result in an inflow of cash, which 7bit can use to pay for shipping. What could be done is a deal where 7bit creates grab-bag kits that one can buy to finance the shipping of one's order. Buy the 'shipnow' kit, and you pay for the shipping of your package plus a bag of random keys. This would be kind of the same thing as the 'buy more leftovers and hope for the best best' approach, but somewhat more direct. Shipping would be paid, 7bit would get rid of the leftovers, and anyone who wanted to speed up the process would have a direct and transparent way of doing so.

I guess the downside is that anyone not willing to essentially pay for shipping a second time would be relegated to the back of the line. On the other hand, the whole process would probably move along faster so it might not even matter in the end.

Anyway, this is all academic. It's up to 7bit how he runs his operation, and he has a setup that has worked for him in the past. I doubt any amount of armchair quarterbacking is going to make him change his mind.

mecano

28 Jan 2018, 09:49

caligo wrote: armchair quarterbacking handballing
Fixed :mrgreen:

Return to “Group buys”