Hi-Profile PBT Dye-sub (the time has come)

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

30 Jan 2018, 00:21

zslane wrote: It is possible that the "inspectors" in the New Jersey warehouse are not sufficiently educated on what to look for in terms of problems; what seems like an obvious font mismatch to us may not even register on a (largely) uninformed inspector's radar.
This seems very likely to me. I'll bet they were looking to make sure every set had the right letters/symbols in it, and the right modifier colors, not what the font was on each individual key, nor how well the legends were centered.

Petch

30 Jan 2018, 01:47

Honestly the bold international kits are more excusable than the off-centre and skewed legends. At least for the inconsistent font there's a plausible, albeit a bit silly, excuse (different font revisions). But how did legends all over the place happen? Just seems like blatant cheaping-out on the dye sub process and QA, which is a shame because the plastic itself seemed decent quality - even if the beige and teal were nothing like the renders.

It's going to be interesting to see how it's handled by MD.

On another note, does anyone else find the home row to feel a little too scooped? Like the default is more like what the homing F/J keys should be, and the rest should be slightly less scooped than they are?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Jan 2018, 08:51

I have no NDA stopping me from telling my opinion :) So the rant is coming.

In the meantime it is my understanding that if you request a replacement you'd get a fixed kit.

Laser
emacs -nw

30 Jan 2018, 13:28

matt3o wrote: [...] the rant is coming.
This asks for a meme. Where's @seebart?

FSund

30 Jan 2018, 16:04

Just received my set yesterday, and here is another example of what the bold international set looks like:
01305222 (Large).JPG
01305222 (Large).JPG (225.79 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
The "Ø" legend also pretty off-center. I haven't had a chance to inspect at all the other keys, but so far it seems like most of them are acceptable, even if some of them are a bit crooked.

zslane

30 Jan 2018, 19:04

Dye-sub alignment can be difficult with spherical keycaps with such pronounced dishing. Especially if the manufacturer is new at this. I can't say I'm surprised by the alignment issues. Even SP warns designers of the margin of error to expect from this process, and it isn't zero.

Slom

30 Jan 2018, 21:47

matt3o wrote: In the meantime it is my understanding that if you request a replacement you'd get a fixed kit.
They offered me a refund or a wait, so I would say this information is incorrect.

Slom

30 Jan 2018, 21:50

zslane wrote: MassDrop is investigating what happened, but the current theory seems to be that keycaps from previous prototype stages got accidentally mixed in with final keycaps by the manufacturer.
Bad excuse is my guess. Note that NO correct int. kits have popped up by now.

zslane

30 Jan 2018, 21:52

Not an excuse, bad or otherwise, since it was only a theory.

Slom

30 Jan 2018, 21:56

Petch wrote: Honestly the bold international kits are more excusable than the off-centre and skewed legends.
Says the British guy who doesn't actually need any of the bold keys :roll:

Also dye sub on spherical caps is difficult, so I am actually not surprised by tiny barely visible misalignment. And you shouldn't either if you had done some research before buying. But those bold font key caps, that's simply not acceptable.

Laser
emacs -nw

30 Jan 2018, 22:49

I guess he meant "excusable" from the point of view of "how could that have happened", not as in "acceptable or not" (as a result, for the user).

seaworthy

31 Jan 2018, 06:43

Sorry for the trouble you all are having with the international font bolding and poor alignment.

My sets (no international) look great other than a dye-sub skew on a few keys. But the profile feels very comfortable, sounds fantastic and looks spectacular. Wish I would have bought additional sets.

FSund

31 Jan 2018, 14:37

https://matt3o.com/the-cost-of-perfection/
Thank you for sticking with me up to this point. I can tell you that we are already working on a second release and this time we are making sure that everything is in place… At least so I am told.
Will the new set also be produced via MassDrop?
Is this a new colorway, or just a "fixed" version of the previous one?

Shihatsu

31 Jan 2018, 14:56

Massdrop ain't the producer. The question is: will the next GB be done by MD or not. I hope it won't. MD just did too much shit. The last two megafails (Fox and Halo) where just too much. If you want to act like a megacon, you will be judged like a megacon, and i vote with my wallet.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Jan 2018, 15:17

FSund wrote: Will the new set also be produced via MassDrop?
yes, massdrop. There will be a fixed version and a new colorway (I don't know which one first)

Petch

31 Jan 2018, 16:38

Laser wrote: I guess he meant "excusable" from the point of view of "how could that have happened", not as in "acceptable or not" (as a result, for the user).
Yes, that's what I meant
matt3o wrote:
FSund wrote: Will the new set also be produced via MassDrop?
yes, massdrop. There will be a fixed version and a new colorway (I don't know which one first)
Is this fixed version going to be a new group buy, or just for people who ordered back in April? I cancelled my huge order after seeing a set in person before my own shipped - I didn't know they would be producing replacements

Wodan
ISO Advocate

31 Jan 2018, 16:48

Shihatsu wrote: Massdrop ain't the producer. The question is: will the next GB be done by MD or not. I hope it won't. MD just did too much shit. The last two megafails (Fox and Halo) where just too much. If you want to act like a megacon, you will be judged like a megacon, and i vote with my wallet.
I understood that Massdrop actually financed these molds and "own" them or have exclusive access to them for a while. Don't expect this profile to pop up elsewhere in the near future ... Unless I:C finds a way to hakko out something VERY similair again ;)

Shihatsu

31 Jan 2018, 17:05

I would be VERY glad if it came to be... but I fear the worst :(

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Jan 2018, 17:30

Petch wrote: Is this fixed version going to be a new group buy, or just for people who ordered back in April?
new group buy

andrewjoy

31 Jan 2018, 17:30

ooo new group buy ..... do tell.

sgtpopwell

01 Feb 2018, 02:22

Does anyone know if there's going to be any kind of leftovers sale? I need a winkeyless kit that I did not order with the original drop.

TIA

TastyNico

01 Feb 2018, 05:03

matt3o wrote:
Petch wrote: Is this fixed version going to be a new group buy, or just for people who ordered back in April?
new group buy
Tell us more! :)
Is there already a scheduled drop date? Q1 (Probably not, lol), Q2, Q3, Q4 or even 2019?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Feb 2018, 08:50

I'm pretty sure it's 2018, don't know when yet.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

01 Feb 2018, 11:35

matt3o wrote: I'm pretty sure it's 2018, don't know when yet.
- Ellipse

Petch

01 Feb 2018, 11:39

matt3o wrote: I'm pretty sure it's 2018, don't know when yet.
Any plans to change the moulds slightly? There are quite a few complains about the stems being tight and the home row feeling a bit too scooped

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Feb 2018, 13:06

the stems look pretty good to me, we may add a nippled homing key though

arrowplum

01 Feb 2018, 22:10

matt3o wrote: the stems look pretty good to me, we may add a nippled homing key though
I think you probably answered this somwhere but are you ever going to make that profile with alps stems?

arrowplum

01 Feb 2018, 22:11

[duplicate]

caligo

02 Feb 2018, 21:15

Finally recieved my set today. The profile itself feels great so far, as does the individual caps. I did not get anything too egregious on the alignment front, so I got lucky there I guess. I'm really digging the teal color – my keyboard now looks like som prop from a Wes Anderson movie, which is a good thing in my book. It's way to dark to take decent pictures here, but I might break out the DSLR sometime during the weekend if I find the time.

Comparing /dev/tty/ to my Round 5 SA keycaps, the difference is quite profound. Sure, they're booth sculptured – but that's where the similarities end. The M3 keycaps are way grippier, being more deep dished and lacking that smooth ABS texture. I haven't used it long enough to say whether its better than SA, but it has a very distinct and quite nice feel to it. I can, however, see how some people might feel them to be to sharp and angular – something that really sets them apart from SA.

I did, however, also get the bold international kit alphas, and boy do they look silly. Sure, it adds some character. But it also makes the whole thing look kind of like a frankenboard, like someone got an almost complete set and then found some ersatz keys that were kind of similar and used them to fill the remaining spots. Having seen the set IRL and actually typed on it, I'm leaning towards keeping the keycaps and just learn to live with the quirks. But it would be nice to see it remedied somehow, as it really detracts from an otherwise excellent set.

Laser
emacs -nw

02 Feb 2018, 22:38

Cool! No misaligned fonts is still good news.

My set reached the local customs - I have to wait till Monday to get it (and pay the taxes ...). Can't wait to see how the profile feels.

Return to “Workshop”