Hi-Profile PBT Dye-sub (the time has come)

Slom

03 Feb 2018, 09:17

Slom wrote:
matt3o wrote: In the meantime it is my understanding that if you request a replacement you'd get a fixed kit.
They offered me a refund or a wait, so I would say this information is incorrect.
Or, as it turns out, I was just not explicit enough in asking for new key caps :oops:.

Saying I need these and these key caps is not enough. Using "want", "international kit", and "replaced" in one sentence seems to do the trick. I just got a message that they will dispatch me a new kit ... so in like 2 weeks we shall know whether I'm the new proud owner of a bold ZYZY :)

caligo

04 Feb 2018, 12:11

The sun is out (at least as much of it as we get here in Sweden in early february…). Hence some photos. I haven't messed around that much with the white balance, but it looks fairly decent on my screen at least.

…and the ÅÄÖ keys, of course. :shock: What's weird is that the international numrow keys are all okay. Maybe the international set was divided into batches, and only one of them got messed up? I've written support a message, but as of yet no response.

Laser
emacs -nw

04 Feb 2018, 17:48

Thanks for the beautiful pics!

The bold font really (and literally!) "adds some character" as you say; but otherwise, it looks really really nice.
Are you mapping the /dev/tty key to some special action?

(I think I'll map it to the Super+Enter combo, which opens the terminal in my Stump WM).

gogusrl

04 Feb 2018, 18:42

So glad I got the blue mods. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

caligo

04 Feb 2018, 19:50

Laser wrote: Thanks for the beautiful pics!

The bold font really (and literally!) "adds some character" as you say; but otherwise, it looks really really nice.
Are you mapping the /dev/tty key to some special action?

(I think I'll map it to the Super+Enter combo, which opens the terminal in my Stump WM).
I haven't decided what to do with the /dev/tty key so far. The Leopold FC660M it sits on isn't programmable, so it will have to be something done in software. But it felt like that keycap had to live somewhere on the board, and then it was down to either Insert or Escape. Launching the terminal would be the obvious choice if it wasn't for the fact this is going with me to work, and our laptops there (sadly) run Win10 where the terminal is of much less use to me. Maybe I should configure it as a panic button or something. :D

Laser
emacs -nw

05 Feb 2018, 13:02

caligo wrote: The Leopold FC660M it sits on isn't programmable, so it will have to be something done in software.
Ah, I think I thought it's a FC660C, which is now programmable using Hasu's new alternative controller.
A a panic button is a good idea for Windows :D

My turn! Keycaps arrived, I like the profile and also the texture under the fingers. The only visibly misaligned key is 'M' (there are more with some small inclination, but it's not too visible); I can live with that. Sorry for the phone quality pics (the keyboard is a Plum with Topre domes swapped in):
001.jpg
001.jpg (374.85 KiB) Viewed 6137 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (311.7 KiB) Viewed 6137 times
003.jpg
003.jpg (347.73 KiB) Viewed 6137 times
EDIT: Also, I have to say, after some hours of programming, it's a joy to type on these keycaps.

zslane

05 Feb 2018, 18:58

Man, I want mine so badly! Supposed to arrive tomorrow...

victorruiz

05 Feb 2018, 21:01

Thanks Matt3o!!

I specialy bought a Leopold FC750R PD White just for this set : D and it looks and feel amazing.
DSC00343.jpg
DSC00343.jpg (523.58 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
DSC00345.jpg
DSC00345.jpg (408.03 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
DSC00344.jpg
DSC00344.jpg (360.55 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
DSC00347.jpg
DSC00347.jpg (321.86 KiB) Viewed 6036 times
DSC00351.jpg
DSC00351.jpg (327.5 KiB) Viewed 6036 times

DarKou

05 Feb 2018, 22:04

Really nice caps <3

pdc

06 Feb 2018, 21:00

My kbd
My kbd
fullsizeoutput_31d1.jpeg (3.43 MiB) Viewed 5923 times
This is my work keyboard after its transformation.

Since my keyboard is ANSI I did not use the ISO Enter keys, so they are being borrowed by a couple of my colleagues.
Ethan's kbd
Ethan's kbd
fullsizeoutput_31d6.jpeg (668.25 KiB) Viewed 5923 times
Kim's kbd
Kim's kbd
fullsizeoutput_31d5.jpeg (500.84 KiB) Viewed 5923 times

kokokoy

07 Feb 2018, 14:14

Got mine yesterday. And man, it’s just pure joy to type on!
2AC1033F-D7E9-4C06-803D-AFA159102F1F.jpeg
2AC1033F-D7E9-4C06-803D-AFA159102F1F.jpeg (905.82 KiB) Viewed 6081 times

gogusrl

07 Feb 2018, 18:41

what keyboard is that ?

SirHobo

07 Feb 2018, 19:01

It appears to be this model:
https://www.feenixcollection.com/autore.html

On a more related note: I've got my set in, but alas I didn't bring my filco with me to college. I'm quite excited to see how the caps feel on a board, as I find that PBT is quite hit or miss for me.

kokokoy

08 Feb 2018, 02:08

SirHobo wrote: It appears to be this model:
https://www.feenixcollection.com/autore.html
Yup. This is the one. The board only supports oem or taller due to deeper bezel so its just perfect for this profile.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Feb 2018, 08:50

guys I'm glad you like them! and thanks for posting pictures. More please!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

08 Feb 2018, 08:52

My second shipment will arrive today - including the international kits - and I am praying for nice legends :)

cookie

08 Feb 2018, 15:24

I think I've missed something :(

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Feb 2018, 13:31

Just built a TX1800v2 and put some dev-titty caps on it:

codemonkeymike

09 Feb 2018, 13:55

That's a bit of a funny typo Wodan ^

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Feb 2018, 14:02

Oh yes sorry I still have to fix some of the key mappings!!!

Laser
emacs -nw

09 Feb 2018, 14:54

Heh, dev-titty :lol:

My problem now is that I would like to have a 2nd set, so that I'd have one for work, one for home :( Anybody up for a trade? :D

Ah, and thanks Matt3o for making this!

zslane

09 Feb 2018, 19:13

I know what you mean, Laser. I anticipated that very need and bought two sets, one beige and one triumph. I currently have the triumph set on my white Norbatouch and it is pretty amazing. These MT3 keycaps feel a lot like Topre Hi-Pro keycaps, which I never really cared for, but I am going to see if I can get used to them.

j0d1

09 Feb 2018, 20:09

For me, the first 10 minutes of use was awkward and I had a hard time touch typing.

But after that, holy cow! I love the awesome PBT texture and the edges of those keycaps.
I use them with Cherry MX Clear switches.

zslane

10 Feb 2018, 18:49

Space Station White Norbatouch (silenced) + Plum Numpad w/ MT3 /dev/tty keycaps:
dev_tty_norbatouch.jpg
dev_tty_norbatouch.jpg (384.57 KiB) Viewed 5674 times
I'm still getting used to the Hi-Pro dishing, but overall I have to say that this is the best feeling and sounding keyboard I own at this point. It's a match made in keyboard heaven.

caligo

11 Feb 2018, 08:45

Having used these for some time now, I'm already curious about what the next MT3 keyset will bring to the table. Other than the issues with the legends, these are truly awesome. Also everyones' photos look great, makes me wish I'd gotten a beige set as well.

However, since MD will probably be running the GBs for this profile for the foreseeable future I'm also somewhat anxious about the prospect of another run. Their whole operation just comes of as amateurish, which is ironic considering that was presumably the thing about GBs MD was meant to get rid of. Apparently they're reprinting messed up kits. That's awesome. But we only know this because some community manager mentioned it in a comment, and they're yet to make anything resembling an official statement. Some people still seem to get the canned responses that simply offer them a refund when they email support about one or two keycaps missing from the order – that's just silly.

A question to those more familliar with these things: Is this how MD typically runs their keycap drops? I've bought some small things from them in the past and never really had any problems. Well, small things and a Whitefox in a drop that went without a hitch for me, but where they messed up the shipping order and batches so that some people didn't get the limited and numbered keyboards they had paid for. Is the MassDrama worthy stuff the norm, or just outliers?

Phenix
-p

11 Feb 2018, 16:47

Is there hope that you will run Sindarian in /dev/tty profile, @matt3o?

Had be sweet af

zslane

11 Feb 2018, 18:31

I'm looking forward to seeing this profile expend into double-shot territory.

Khers

11 Feb 2018, 21:20

caligo wrote: Having used these for some time now, I'm already curious about what the next MT3 keyset will bring to the table. Other than the issues with the legends, these are truly awesome. Also everyones' photos look great, makes me wish I'd gotten a beige set as well.

However, since MD will probably be running the GBs for this profile for the foreseeable future I'm also somewhat anxious about the prospect of another run. Their whole operation just comes of as amateurish, which is ironic considering that was presumably the thing about GBs MD was meant to get rid of. Apparently they're reprinting messed up kits. That's awesome. But we only know this because some community manager mentioned it in a comment, and they're yet to make anything resembling an official statement. Some people still seem to get the canned responses that simply offer them a refund when they email support about one or two keycaps missing from the order – that's just silly.

A question to those more familliar with these things: Is this how MD typically runs their keycap drops? I've bought some small things from them in the past and never really had any problems. Well, small things and a Whitefox in a drop that went without a hitch for me, but where they messed up the shipping order and batches so that some people didn't get the limited and numbered keyboards they had paid for. Is the MassDrama worthy stuff the norm, or just outliers?
From my experiences with MD they come off as an incredibly amateurish bunch. They've handled simple things well for me, but as soon as there has been some complexity involved (like say a keycap GB that is not GMK), they have screwed up. Having said that, they have set things straight in the end, it's just taken a while due to their incompetence.

Laser
emacs -nw

11 Feb 2018, 21:50

I don't have much experience with Massdrop, and got lucky so far and had no problems with the few drops I got from them either. But, I did read about screwed up drops and issues that keep coming up. They probably stretch more than they can handle, but manage to get a pretty buck in the process ... The thing is, they afford to do it, because they offer what a single person dreads the most: the handling of the groupbuy itself. If, in the process, they take the idea and make it their own, and manage to screw up the difficult things, that's the price to pay for allowing them to run the groupbuy. The price of convenience.

So, for me, the thing is: if somebody has a new idea and wants to make a groupbuy, what other choice does he/she has? Run it alone, it's a big headache, and it does have its risks. With Massdrop, you have somebody *else* to blame.

Ideally, for Deskthority, a similar, smaller, entirely-keyboard-oriented entity, based in Europe, would be ideal. But who would take on such a burden?

zslane

11 Feb 2018, 22:03

I'm located in the US, so for me MassDrop is the most reliable and trustworthy source of GBs I know of. Plus, they push through more projects than anyone else. They have a dedicated customer support department that is larger than one person, which puts them far ahead of anyone in the community who tries to run GBs themselves.

From what I can tell, most of the disdain for MassDrop comes from the EU community, and for reasons that are sometimes understandable and other times irrational.

Return to “Workshop”