Hi-Profile PBT Dye-sub (the time has come)

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

18 Feb 2018, 00:13

I just finished building out my newest keyboard. A QFR, with Kailh box jade switches, and /dev/tty key caps. Definitely my favorite Cherry keyboard ever. I was apprehensive about the return speed of the box jade switches with heavy PBT caps, but it's perfect. Light touch and hugely tactile. I used a box pale blue under the space bar, for a little extra oomph of the heavier spring.Image

Laser
emacs -nw

18 Feb 2018, 15:10

Looks pretty cool! :)

consolation

18 Feb 2018, 23:46

Looks good, the red dye in these caps really plays havoc with colour balance on cameras... maybe it's reflecting lots of infra-red?

consolation

19 Feb 2018, 00:00

Slom wrote: I occasionally fly DCS, the MIG 21 in there has this beautiful colour.

There is a successor to ROF in the works, based on the current IL2:BOx series.

@consolation: No hate from my side, promise :) In other news, my replacement int kit arrived at the local tax office, if all goes well I will report to be a happy customer on Monday.
We're good :)

And, I definitely don't think that MD is problem free; they made some seriously dubious decisions. I just think that, by and large, they do try their best.

DHL seems intent on trying to make my replacement kit circumnavigate the planet, no idea why...

andrea-i

19 Feb 2018, 09:21

Using the tty for my industrial tkl project, loving it and looking forward to put this awesome keycaps on some proper switches.
Photo 19-02-2018, 09 17 22.jpg
Photo 19-02-2018, 09 17 22.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 5813 times

Dingster

19 Feb 2018, 10:26

andrea-i wrote: Using the tty for my industrial tkl project, loving it and looking forward to put this awesome keycaps on some proper switches.
Photo 19-02-2018, 09 17 22.jpg
DOOO ITTTT (they deserve better than MX blue :D )
What switches did you have in mind ;)

Slom

19 Feb 2018, 13:03

8.JPG
8.JPG (518.36 KiB) Viewed 5732 times

Laser
emacs -nw

19 Feb 2018, 14:04

Did you receive replacements?

caligo

19 Feb 2018, 14:24

I doubt anyone has had proper word from Massdrop abour replacements. The last semi-official statement we got was this:
We'll be sending out emails to everyone that's affected by the kit issues found on Dvorak / Colemak + the International Kits.
That's six days ago, and still no email. In other words, it's still amateur hour back there. ;)

They might of course be busy scrambling to get a production slot, but I doubt the people doing customer support are the ones dealing with the manufacturer. My guess is the talk about doing reprints was premature – maybe the next avaliable production slot is way down the line, or maybe the cost of a limited re-run is hard to justify. It might work out just fine in the end for all I know, but being given the silent treatment like this makes me somewhat sceptical.

hansichen

19 Feb 2018, 14:45

At the moment most stuff is closed due to spring festival, therefore massdrop has probably a tough time to communicate with the factory about replacements

caligo

19 Feb 2018, 15:48

hansichen wrote: At the moment most stuff is closed due to spring festival, therefore massdrop has probably a tough time to communicate with the factory about replacements
Oh, right, the lunar new year – I had completely forgotten about that. Still doesn't explain the lack of a statement though, as there's nothing preventing them from sending out something along the lines of "there will be reprints but we're waiting for word from the factory, more info to come within x weeks."

Slom

19 Feb 2018, 18:33

Laser wrote: Did you receive replacements?
Yes, that are the replacements I got. And they have the bold fonts.

They were shipped to me on February 2nd, which is before the comments from YanboWu about reprinting all the international kits. The result is not to surprising in that case I think, even though I had a little bit of hope ;)

Guess I will send them a nice note, to make sure I am still on the "will need a reprinted set" list, and then just forget about this and be happy once the real replacement arrives.

caligo

19 Feb 2018, 19:15

Wait, what, they actually sent keycaps with the same issue as replacements for the bold ones? :lol: That's almost as good as that time they sent someone four left-hand Ergodox PCBs and zero right-hand ones. I would be kind of pissed if they sent me a 'replacement' like that though, since I'd probably have to pay customs and VAT for it.

Laser
emacs -nw

19 Feb 2018, 19:22

It would have been harder to infer other explanations from that picture, hence my question.
I'm pretty sure I read in MD comments for other drops that the same thing happened before - replacements sent were identical to the original faulty products. The complain to MD was actually "MD doesn't make the producers remake their products". Hopefully it isn't true, and I'll stop here, since I'm not in the affected group.

FSund

23 Feb 2018, 07:11

I'm guessing everyone affected have received this email, but I thought I'd post it here for everyone to see.
Seems like all international and Colemak/Dvorak sets were affected by the issue with bold legends.
Hi,

We are reaching out regarding your order for the Massdrop x Matt3o /dev/tty MT3 Custom Keycap Set.

Thanks to those of you who brought the issues with the legends on the International and the Colemak & Dvorak sets. After looking into this with the vendor, we know that all units in these kits were affected by this issue. We sincerely apologize for this and we are doing everything possible to make this right.

We are producing replacements sets for everybody and expect to have inventory ready by the end of March or beginning of April.

Kindly have in mind that there is no need to reach out to us and place a request for replacement as we will ship replacements to all members that ordered either of these kits.

If you have any questions or need us to update your address please reply to this email and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Feb 2018, 12:56

A new drop will come sooner than I anticipated...

FSund

23 Feb 2018, 15:57

matt3o wrote: A new drop will come sooner than I anticipated...
You don't say!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x ... keycap-set

Laser
emacs -nw

23 Feb 2018, 16:22

Just entered again, this time for a Triumph kit. My wallet is crying.

lossendae

23 Feb 2018, 20:06

Anychance to see more international ISO kits this time around ?

DarKou

23 Feb 2018, 23:06

Any chance to see a cyrillic version again? :D

Laser
emacs -nw

23 Feb 2018, 23:42

1000 orders in :)

Loligagger

24 Feb 2018, 00:22

I suppose it's too late to ask for a triumph color ergodox set? :P

Either way I'm glad to see that it's there.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Feb 2018, 08:40

We will be adding more kits in the coming days.

I'm pushing for a French kit too, but nobody seems to care :P

FSund

24 Feb 2018, 09:57

This is a long shot, but does the molds for concave 1u or 2u keys exist? It would be great for space/lower/raise keys for Planck-like keyboards.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Feb 2018, 10:02

we have 2u (not 1u)

Phenix
-p

24 Feb 2018, 13:52

matt3o wrote:We will be adding more kits in the coming days.

I'm pushing for a French kit too, but nobody seems to care :P
May i ask if there is hope for either Russish or (to me more important) Sindarin/Elvish? That had be endgame for me. :)
Would appreciate triumph ergodox as well.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Feb 2018, 14:50

Maybe Sindarin. Definitely not Cyrillic anymore.

Phenix
-p

24 Feb 2018, 15:00

matt3o wrote:Maybe Sindarin. Definitely not Cyrillic anymore.
Is there hope that Sindarin kits will be added to the still running massdrop?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Feb 2018, 18:15

Phenix wrote:
matt3o wrote:Maybe Sindarin. Definitely not Cyrillic anymore.
Is there hope that Sindarin kits will be added to the still running massdrop?
yes

Luna
Alt255

25 Feb 2018, 00:20

I see there’s a 6U spacebar as well so I was considering this set for a Leopold FC660C with NovaTouch sliders. Will these caps work with that?
No Topre stem set planned by any chance?

Return to “Workshop”