What old switch would you love to bring back?

☃☃☃

01 Mar 2018, 14:17

Keytronic Butterfly switches, before the foam deteriorates.

Chyros

01 Mar 2018, 14:50

☃☃☃ wrote: Keytronic Butterfly switches, before the foam deteriorates.
That's when they're at their worst xD .

Barrel

01 Mar 2018, 15:37

Honeywell's Hall-Effect switches... which is why I'm trying to make something that feels more like them than the Ace Pad Tech stuff :P

Brett MacK

01 Mar 2018, 15:41

I would bring back space Hi-Tek 725s, their linear and clicks switches are my favorite. It would be nice to have a board in a somewhat normal layout. I haven’t tried new ones, I imagine they would be so smooth.

Daniel Beardsmore

01 Mar 2018, 21:59

Chyros wrote: I'd very much like to try out Marquardts. I own some loose switches, and they feel excellent.
Retouch the photos of them using Adobe, and write about them using Microsoft …

Elrick

02 Mar 2018, 10:41

FXT wrote: Definitely beamspring. Modern layout with beamsprings would be great. Or a reproduction 3279.
YES, indeed a decent, newly minted Beamspring in a traditional 104 or dare I dream, a 108 key layout.

Would indeed pump my blood around this old body to see a well built Beamspring Keyboard for sale to us all here on DT.

All my kids would hate me using it but hey, you only live ONCE ;) .

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

02 Mar 2018, 12:43

Hahaha I'd never be able to use one at work, they can barely stand my almost silent Green Alps! But I would gladly spend some good coin on a proper reproduction.

Sup

02 Mar 2018, 13:40

Alps SKCM Blue,Brown,Orange if those get produced again i know what my main board would be.

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

02 Mar 2018, 19:38

I've watched far too many of Thomas' keyboard reviews on YouTube and now all I can think of is the beauty that is the IBM beamspring switch. The switches are really simple. They only have eight pieces to them. Please-oh-please Chinese factory owners, hear my plea: Make ripoff 1-to-1 identical switches to the original beamspring switches and sell them to wealthy westerners at a sweet profit. We'll figure the keyboard out later. First, we need the switches, lots of them, in bulk.

Slom

02 Mar 2018, 20:33

Wintermute1974 wrote: I've watched far too many of Thomas' keyboard reviews on YouTube and now all I can think of is the beauty that is the IBM beamspring switch. The switches are really simple. They only have eight pieces to them. Please-oh-please Chinese factory owners, hear my plea: Make ripoff 1-to-1 identical switches to the original beamspring switches and sell them to wealthy westerners at a sweet profit. We'll figure the keyboard out later. First, we need the switches, lots of them, in bulk.
I count only 6 separable pieces (7 if you include the key cap). Micro Switch SD has only 4 ... and still they tend to be scratchy binding suckers ... :D :D :D

I think you should not talk about switches in isolation like that: THE thing about micro switch for example are the key caps and they have influence on the switch design. Like you can not easily have those ultra thick caps and still have low profile switches. There can be only one thing at one place at a time, switch or key cap ...

Elrick

03 Mar 2018, 07:21

Slom wrote: Like you can not easily have those ultra thick caps and still have low profile switches. There can be only one thing at one place at a time, switch or key cap ...
This is DT Central and who's talking about "low-profile switches" :o ?

This is BEAMSPRING, they can NEVER be low-profiled and who would want that to begin with? These are large and they should stay that way FOREVER.

All we want here is someone who can faithfully re-manufacture these unique babies and put them into a fully functional, present day keyboard design.

Maybe Ellipse should start developing a future Beamspring Keyboard because I would sure hand down my money again for another unique purchase from him.

Return to “Keyboards”