Model M Screw mod - can you just use a regular drill?

green-squid

01 Mar 2018, 16:42

Hi! I want to do a Model M project with a broken M assembly and screw mod it. I will get some screws from the hardware store (Praktiker) and use a hand drill like this to drill the holes. But the videos I saw of this mod being done always involve drilling machine schenanigans. Can I just use something like this below with a small tip? :)

j0d1

01 Mar 2018, 17:10

You can use a regular drill but it is recommended to also use a solder iron to prepare the holes to drill.

I followed those instructions.

The gist of it:

1. Buy M2 screws (2mm) with a length of 8mm.
2. Prepare the barrels plate by making tiny holes with the solder iron tip. This help a lot to drill the holes.
3. Drill holes with a drill bit below 2mm (I think I used a 1/16", which is 1.58 mm).

The keyboard I repaired was not in mint condition: the barrels plate was horizontally split in two pieces.

Nevertheless, I'm currently typing on it and it works perfectly!

andrewjoy

01 Mar 2018, 17:40

If you gong to do that PLEASE don't use a decent soldering iron to melt plastic , and if you do make sure you clean the tip :)

green-squid

01 Mar 2018, 17:41

j0d1 wrote: You can use a regular drill but it is recommended to also use a solder iron to prepare the holes to drill.

I followed those instructions.

The gist of it:

2. Prepare the barrels plate by making tiny holes with the solder iron tip. This help a lot to drill the holes.
3. Drill holes with a drill bit below 2mm (I think I used a 1/16", which is 1.58 mm).

The keyboard I repaired was not in mint condition: the barrels plate was horizontally split in two pieces.

Nevertheless, I'm currently typing on it and it works perfectly!
Thanks bro!!

I will not use my main soldering iron for it! I have a shitty one I can use.

green-squid

01 Mar 2018, 18:11

j0d1 wrote: The gist of it:

Will I have to buy the round things ( 2nd one from left to right)

j0d1

01 Mar 2018, 18:27

That round thing is called a washer. ;)

I forgot to mention that you must buy M2 screws with a flat head.

I personally bought those because they were 10$ shipped, but it takes a month to arrive and the quality is not that great (they do the job really, they just feel a little bit cheap).

That said, no washers are needed with those screws (they are like 0.5 mm away of needing them though!)

green-squid

01 Mar 2018, 18:35

j0d1 wrote: That round thing is called a washer. ;)

I forgot to mention that you must buy M2 screws with a flat head.

I personally bought those because they were 10$ shipped, but it takes a month to arrive and the quality is not that great (they do the job really, they just feel a little bit cheap).

That said, no washers are needed with those screws (they are like 0.5 mm away of needing them though!)
I will make sure to order those from eBay as well!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/800pcs-M2-Cros ... 0005.m1851

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Mar 2018, 13:17

I prefer using a Dremel-style tool because it is easy to hold with 2 hands and control precisely. Also it can be set to turn slowly.

Washers are helpful if/when you can get enough screw threads exposed to get them on.

Using the smallest spherical burr head on the Dremel for starter divots is much easier and more productive than melting them.

I prefer pan head screws to flat head, but that is no big deal.

Dingster

02 Mar 2018, 22:20

Of course you can. But you have to be really careful that the holes are straight. Also take your time and drill slowly :)

Coco

11 Jun 2019, 04:50

To clarify, the only screw that you need for screw modding an IBM Model M is just a flat head M2 screw that's 8 mm long?

swampangel

11 Jun 2019, 15:05

The ones I have, which were linked somewhere in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9169, are 6.5mm long

Return to “Workshop”