Modern SKCM Blue Alps

Taeha Types

05 Mar 2018, 18:32

Am new to this forum but know people here are more into vintage keyboards, so thought this might be relevant!

Started a YouTube channel about a month ago that's been focusing on typing sounds on modern high end customs as of now (any future content idea would help!) and here is my latest video of my LZ CLS that is built with some pretty neat vintage parts. Details are in the description of the video! And of course sub if you like :)
Last edited by Taeha Types on 05 Mar 2018, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

Chyros

05 Mar 2018, 19:35

Ah man, you can practically TASTE the sound of those blue Alps :D .

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 19:36

Chyros wrote: Ah man, you can practically TASTE the sound of those blue Alps :D .
They must taste like caviar, but I don't even know how that tastes like (unlike you).

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Mar 2018, 19:45

I thought the title meant a modern reproduction of Blue Alps. :roll:

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 19:48

Blaise170 wrote: I thought the title meant a modern reproduction of Blue Alps. :roll:
We can only dream. Matias get in on this shit and you will do gangbusters I promise.

E3E

05 Mar 2018, 19:51

Chyros wrote: Ah man, you can practically TASTE the sound of those blue Alps :D .
Yo.

*pout*

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Mar 2018, 19:53

E3E wrote:
Yo.

*pout*
Yo do you have any Lime Alps? That's practically the only Alps switch I still don't have! I'd be willing to trade you a Cherry MX Orange for it. :D

Dingster

05 Mar 2018, 19:54

I actually prefer capacitive buckling spring sound over this. Dont know about the feel ;)
Amazing board tho :)

E3E

05 Mar 2018, 19:55

Blaise170 wrote:
E3E wrote:
Yo.

*pout*
Yo do you have any Lime Alps? That's practically the only Alps switch I still don't have! I'd be willing to trade you a Cherry MX Orange for it. :D
I habe every Alps SKCL/SKCM switch that we know of except for the SKCL heavy greys, but the SKCM Greens I have are all in their respective keyboards. None of them are loose, sorry!

Also, I should also say that I'm not an individual switch collector and prefer bigger batches for my hotswap boards. I'd not be very interested in Cherry stuff though. The Hirose oranges are cool nonetheless.

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 20:11

#BlueMatias2018

Get him in on this: https://twitter.com/matiasblog
Attachments
alpff.png
alpff.png (51.09 KiB) Viewed 7430 times

Taeha Types

05 Mar 2018, 20:55

OOF huge fan of your videos!

Taeha Types

05 Mar 2018, 20:56

Blaise170 wrote: I thought the title meant a modern reproduction of Blue Alps. :roll:
LOL sorry to disappoint, although I too would like that :(

Wodan
ISO Advocate

05 Mar 2018, 21:03

So far, Matias switches have been clones of simplified Alps

Now we're hoping they revive something from the best days of the complicated "pine" Alps era?

Still nice to see some blue Alps put into an REAL keyboard.

juryduty

05 Mar 2018, 21:30

From what board were the switches harvested? Also from the Focus board?

macboarder

05 Mar 2018, 22:14

That sound is a banquet for the ears.

Chyros

05 Mar 2018, 22:16

FeelgHoodMuzik wrote:
Had to tweet that video, the sound is just too sweet ^^ .

@Ethan; your Focus sounds amazing. Frankly not sure why you'd want a modern build with that masterpiece in house :D .

Taeha Types

05 Mar 2018, 22:17

juryduty wrote: From what board were the switches harvested? Also from the Focus board?
Couldn't tell you as I unfortunately cannot pride myself as the creator of this :(

Taeha Types

05 Mar 2018, 22:19

Chyros wrote:
FeelgHoodMuzik wrote:
Had to tweet that video, the sound is just too sweet ^^ .

@Ethan; your Focus sounds amazing. Frankly not sure why you'd want a modern build with that masterpiece in house :D .
Dang even a tweet from chyrosran22 haha, means a lot!
LOL gg

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Mar 2018, 23:13

This is all very nice, but please spare a moment for the poor keyboard that was killed for this, its carcass tossed aside and all forgotten.

Brett MacK

06 Mar 2018, 00:29

Those sound nice, but you can't beat the sound in the original case. The one in this video sounds almost a bit high pitched compared to blues in a kb101, or an omnikey. Ir'a crazy how case construction changes the sound of a keyboard.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

06 Mar 2018, 01:47

This sounds amazing. Thanks for making a video, man!

consolation

06 Mar 2018, 01:50

@Brett MacK -I don't know - these are machined out of a solid chunk of metal. Some of the old boards sound loud because they are so hollow, but it's not always a better sound, just louder. The heavy duty CNC'd cases (eg. Norbauer's, LZ etc) definitely make switches sound pretty sweet, but they do cut down the volume a lot. I think you might be hearing Youtube's postprocessing there as well.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

06 Mar 2018, 01:58

E3E wrote: I habe every Alps SKCL/SKCM switch that we know of except for the SKCL heavy greys
liar... I say as I hoard all the SKCL heavy cream for myself

Brett MacK

06 Mar 2018, 02:15

consolation wrote: @Brett MacK -I don't know - these are machined out of a solid chunk of metal. Some of the old boards sound loud because they are so hollow, but it's not always a better sound, just louder. The heavy duty CNC'd cases (eg. Norbauer's, LZ etc) definitely make switches sound pretty sweet, but they do cut down the volume a lot. I think you might be hearing Youtube's postprocessing there as well.
You are definitely right. Not all of the older cases sound better at all. Look at the dell at101 for an example. Whatever switch you put in there sounds pingier and more hollow. I think some of the cases do add a lot to the sound though, amplifying it in a good way.

digital_matthew

06 Mar 2018, 04:48

Dingster wrote: I actually prefer capacitive buckling spring sound over this. Dont know about the feel ;)
I feel that blue Alps are for people that would like the sound of capacative buckling springs, but without the "ping". I happen to love the sound of capacative buckling springs, as I am typing this on a Model F. :)

Chyros

06 Mar 2018, 07:20

webwit wrote: This is all very nice, but please spare a moment for the poor keyboard that was killed for this, its carcass tossed aside and all forgotten.
Very true. What poor keyboard bit the dust for this project?

derzemel

06 Mar 2018, 07:25

Chyros wrote:
webwit wrote: This is all very nice, but please spare a moment for the poor keyboard that was killed for this, its carcass tossed aside and all forgotten.
Hopefully it was a keyboard that couldn't be modified to work with modern computers.

Dingster

06 Mar 2018, 10:02

digital_matthew wrote:
Dingster wrote: I actually prefer capacitive buckling spring sound over this. Dont know about the feel ;)
I feel that blue Alps are for people that would like the sound of capacative buckling springs, but without the "ping". I happen to love the sound of capacative buckling springs, as I am typing this on a Model F. :)
Ding ding ding!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Mar 2018, 12:36

mike52787 wrote:
E3E wrote: I habe every Alps SKCL/SKCM switch that we know of except for the SKCL heavy greys
liar... I say as I hoard all the SKCL heavy cream for myself
I have heavy creams!
derzemel wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Hopefully it was a keyboard that couldn't be modified to work with modern computers.
Any keyboard can be converted, but not all can be repaired. I found some junk Blue Alps boards a year ago with decent switches but missing case, keycaps, etc.

E3E

06 Mar 2018, 13:04

I'm not going to remove an SKCM Green from an intact keyboard for an SKCL Heavy Cream. Daniel or Chryos might be able to help you get a loose one.

Return to “Keyboards”