Round 6: The Cappening

zslane

03 Jan 2018, 19:12

Sweet!

Could you perhaps do a little white balancing? Everything looks way too yellow...

phinix

04 Jan 2018, 10:19

zslane wrote: Sweet!

Could you perhaps do a little white balancing? Everything looks way too yellow...
Sorry, I know, these are mobile photos. My camera is packed in boxes, as we are refurbishing house, so don't have access to it just now.
I'll try to get nice photos this weekend, if sun goes out - in Scotland its a rare event :lol:

zslane

04 Jan 2018, 19:11

Well, there's this application called Photoshop, and with it you can fix photos and stuff...

phinix

04 Jan 2018, 20:55

zslane wrote: Well, there's this application called Photoshop, and with it you can fix photos and stuff...
never heard of it 8-)

Seriously, my PC is packed up as whole rooms are being refurbished :cry:
2 weeks before I'll come back to Blaskowicz and killing Nazis 8-)

nosage

21 Feb 2018, 02:09

Two years and two months later, they are here. Sadly the keyboard these keys were purchased for has long since been traded away, for now, they just are.

And they are beautiful. The white is a like a porcelain, the black, like looking into an empty abyss.

Being on a dark table, the black does not pop as much on this cell camera as it does in real life.

Sadly I went back to my order and realized I ordered the wrong numpad, it does not have the superior flat top '3'. Maybe I can find one from a grab bag. Actually, I would rather have a numpad 3 that matches the numrow and F row 3.

Maybe someday I will find a WKL so I can rock the webwits.

The large font and '1' sarifs used on the F row is vastly superior to the legacy font used by SP.

My apologies for the photography, it does not do this set justice.

To me this is a special set, the amount of people who have this exact color scheme is very small, it's a little club we have. My thanks to 7bit and all of the contributors/collectors who helped make this group buy a success.

zslane

04 Mar 2018, 18:43

I finally finished painting the case top of (one of) my Realforce RGB boards white, and now after two and a half years I finally have my Round 6 Honeywell keyboard:
topre_honeywell.jpg
topre_honeywell.jpg (315.15 KiB) Viewed 7610 times
The key elements that make this "Honeywell" are the tall, spherical caps, the BoW alphas, the all-gray F-row keys (with bits of red), and the all-black numpad. Only 7bit's Round 5/6 kits make this possible. Don't be fooled by any of the other sets out there calling themselves "Honeywell"; they are poor approximations that fall short in nearly all of the above categories.

Menuhin

04 Mar 2018, 21:38

zslane wrote: I finally finished painting the case top of (one of) my Realforce RGB boards white, and now after two and a half years I finally have my Round 6 Honeywell keyboard:
Spoiler:
topre_honeywell.jpg
The key elements that make this "Honeywell" are the tall, spherical caps, the BoW alphas, the all-gray F-row keys (with bits of red), and the all-black numpad. Only 7bit's Round 5/6 kits make this possible. Don't be fooled by any of the other sets out there calling themselves "Honeywell"; they are poor approximations that fall short in nearly all of the above categories.
Congrats!

What an achievement in 7bit's marathon group buy!

Lalufu

05 Mar 2018, 20:40

IMG_20180305_200623.jpg
IMG_20180305_200623.jpg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 7528 times
On top, a Filco TKL with round 6 phase 1 (the alphas are the "wrong" size caps that got produced by error, they look better than the "proper" sized ones IMVHO).
On the bottom a Rosewill with round 6 phase 2.

Menuhin

06 Mar 2018, 00:35

I could have put my mind to rest if I decided to get the "wrong" legend-size caps - various examples of them look all good in photos, but just not as perfect as 7bit wanted them to be.
Now the time I can get those is a real big unknown.

janvkn

06 Mar 2018, 17:53

Inspiration:

Dream:

Reality:

Dingster

06 Mar 2018, 18:03

janvkn wrote: Inspiration:

Dream:

Reality:
The dream and reality are pretty close ;)

Menuhin

06 Mar 2018, 18:19

@janvkn

The reality is not so different from your dream setup, but your "inspiration" sucks - I mean, to say it in a polite way, Amtrak has lots of rooms to improve their service:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/amtrak.html

It's far behind Europe, and it's now starting to lag behind the Asia region.

janvkn

06 Mar 2018, 18:25

Menuhin wrote: @janvkn

The reality is not so different from your dream setup, but your "inspiration" sucks - I mean, to say it in a polite way, Amtrak has lots of rooms to improve their service:

The inspiration is not Amtrak but the Control Data Corporation terminal in the picture.

See also: photos-f62/control-data-corporation-cc6 ... 11496.html

Menuhin

06 Mar 2018, 18:43

janvkn wrote:
Menuhin wrote: @janvkn

The inspiration is not Amtrak but the Control Data Corporation terminal in the picture.

See also: photos-f62/control-data-corporation-cc6 ... 11496.html
All right, it's not a system tailored only for Amtrak.
I wonder who manufactured those thick caps for the Control Data Corp. terminal.

zslane

06 Mar 2018, 18:45

The first terminal I ever owned was an old, used CDC-713 that looked a lot like that. I was thinking of doing a CDC colorway with my Round 6 keycaps too. I need another BLACK numpad to do that though. Grrrrrr....

profanu429

07 Mar 2018, 21:13

Woohoo, 90% of my keys showed up :) Now just waiting for some tiny left over ones (SHIFT175/GREY I'm looking at you). Tonight I'll actually get the put them on a board!
Attachments
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG (194.39 KiB) Viewed 7426 times

profanu429

08 Mar 2018, 04:02

And mounted :) I love these caps, worth the wait I think. I also noticed my cat contributed a nice hair on the side of the G key too, woops.
Attachments
viper.jpg
viper.jpg (752.37 KiB) Viewed 7405 times

janvkn

08 Mar 2018, 21:34

This is my second creation with Round5/6 keycaps:

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2018, 21:41

Bliss. That front one almost looks like a beamspring.

Menuhin

08 Mar 2018, 22:43

janvkn wrote: This is my second creation with Round5/6 keycaps:

Was almost drooling but slurped back up midway as a I remind myself:

That Cherry board is probably a PCB-mounted build.
It is still a nice board (just for my taste) if it has some vintage blues, or for some other also some vintage browns.

I like Cherry's vintage blacks, but probably not in a PCB-mounted build.

janvkn

09 Mar 2018, 00:38

Menuhin wrote: Was almost drooling but slurped back up midway as a I remind myself:

That Cherry board is probably a PCB-mounted build.
It is still a nice board (just for my taste) if it has some vintage blues, or for some other also some vintage browns.

I like Cherry's vintage blacks, but probably not in a PCB-mounted build.
It's actually a pretty flimsy modern G80 with mx clears. It's indeed PCB mounted, and weighs next to nothing. It's alright to type on, but I mainly use it to showcase keycaps because it's the only MX keyboard I have with old fashioned big bezels.

Griffy

09 Mar 2018, 11:51

jacopods

09 Mar 2018, 19:22

Finally finished my first handwired build. Thanks to 7bit who allowed to make it real.ImageImage

zslane

10 Mar 2018, 17:59

That looks pretty sweet jacopods!

Here's my CDC-713 inspired Plum Nano:
cdc7_nano.jpg
cdc7_nano.jpg (407.53 KiB) Viewed 7342 times
I had an old CDC-713 terminal when I was in high school, and it had a tan enclosure, which makes my decision to paint one of my Plums tan all the more satisfying! :ugeek:

jacopods

10 Mar 2018, 20:34

zslane wrote:That looks pretty sweet jacopods!

Here's my CDC-713 inspired Plum Nano:
cdc7_nano.jpg
I had an old CDC-713 terminal when I was in high school, and it had a tan enclosure, which makes my decision to paint one of my Plums tan all the more satisfying! :ugeek:
Beautiful. Out of curiosity how do you manage without the deep dish j?

zslane

11 Mar 2018, 00:04

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand the question.

jacopods

11 Mar 2018, 00:11

zslane wrote:Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand the question.
You have a left arrow on your j key. I guess the keycap has no deep dish and I wonder how does it work without that. I would be pretty lost without a homing key

zslane

11 Mar 2018, 18:33

Oh, I don't really need homing keys. I do like the look of deep-dished homing keys, mostly because its a very vintage thing, but I touch type accurately without any homing cues. I could just as easily put a non-deep-dished F on there for consistency's sake, I suppose, but it's not something I think that much about, to be honest.

Griffy

19 Mar 2018, 10:39

On a leopold:

In Action:

On a winkeyless:

Because no black numnums...

zslane

19 Mar 2018, 18:12

Very cool! HONEY keycaps always look awesome.

Return to “Gallery”