//gainsborough's IBM collection

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

21 Mar 2018, 00:34

//GAINSBOROUGH'S IBM COLLECTION

Inspired by many of the fantastic collection albums on DT, I decided to do my own - kinda. This iteration of my collection will feature the IBM keyboards that I have!

Most of you probably know me best by my love for alps keyboards, which are definitely my favorite vintage boards, but I also really love the build quality and keyfeel that IBM buckling springs bring to the table as well! Since this collection is substantially smaller than my alps collection, I thought it would be a great place to start!

Enjoy!

THE CLASSICS----------------------

First I'll talk about what I call "the classic" IBM keyboards. The main 3 model Fs and the classic model M.

IBM Model F XT----------------------

This board was the first of my capacitive buckling springs boards. My wife bought it for me off eBay for my birthday a few years ago - as such, I'll never get rid of it.

The barrel plate is painted red, which is why I used the red DT logo and red escape keys!

IBM Model F122----------------------

This board was restored and modified by wingpad! I helped him out a bit before I was interested in the board by going to a local sandblasting place and getting two F122 plates sandblasted for him. In a neat turn of events I ended up buying one of those f122s - he painted the barrel plate blue for me - hence the blue DT logo and escape keys!

IBM Model F AT (NIB)----------------------

This board I've never opened up, so I can't say what it's like to use it - but it's one of my most coveted in this classic collection! I picked it up for $150 off of eBay =P

IBM Model M (1986)----------------------

This is the only model M I kept after buying a bunch of them when I first got into the hobby. It's in fantastic shape, and is the best model M I've ever typed on.

THE ALPS BOARDS

These next three boards are the corss between IBM and Alps Electric - my two favorite vintage brands! Because of that, they are pretty special to me.

IBM Pingmaster

Purchased from Mike52787 and converted by macboarder - this board features SKCC switches that are super smooth! I love typing on this thing, so thanks, dudes, for making this board part of my useable collection.

IBM CHINESE MULTISTATION----------------------

I thought it would be fitting the end the post on my two favorite boards from the collection - the first being this chinese multistation board. I bought it from a user named terrycherry here on DT. This board is practically NOS, but it's packaging was pretty destroyed. Still though, the SKCL green alps feel ooustanding, and the spherical doubleshot caps with blue lettering is pretty much unrivaled by any other alps caps I've seen. They are simply stunning.

I can't use it, unfortunately, so I'm really hoping a greater mind comes up with a way to convert this thing (lookin' at you, orihalcon =P)

IBM JX

It's hard to pick a favorite between the multistation and this JX - but I think right now I would have to pick the JX - maybe because I'm super happy that I got it! I bought this board a little under the radar from webwit's Wild Duck Exotics Boutique (TM) and just picked it up this morning. This board was on my wishlist, and to be honest, I never thought I'd have one - it's kind of surreal for me still. I absolutely love everything about this board. The feel of new skcl greens, the typing sound, the quirky layout, the japanese doubleshot caps, the fact that it's IBM - everything. Getting this board inspired me to post my most recent [WTB] post for the Panasonic Business Partner, which is another board on my wishlist and another board I figured I'd never get - but after getting this one - I figured the post is worth a shot! Anyway, here are the pics and typing vid!

Thanks for reading! Sorry if the post takes a while to load since there are so many pictures >_< It took most of the day, but I had fun writing this post! I actually had to rewrite the second half twice since my power went out and I hadn't saved the draft in Microsoft word recently enough...

I do want to post the rest of my collection at some point... maybe a project for the summer.

またね。
//gains.
Last edited by //gainsborough on 21 Mar 2018, 03:21, edited 2 times in total.

JP!

21 Mar 2018, 00:43

Good stuff. I am jealous of that Model F AT. I've never seen an AT new in box like that. Now you just need a beamer ;)

Myoth

21 Mar 2018, 00:47

woah.

oh.

my.

god.

that's such a nice collection, I mean, I'm biased as much as one can be because it's IBM but hnnngggg this is beautiful.

though I wonder why you don't have a F107 or even a beamspring ! with this luck (that F AT :o ) you surely came across cheap beamers didn't you ? and for the F107, do you just feel like they're not worth it or have you had one but didn't like it ?

sorry for the questions I'm just surprised, I didn't think you were into IBM as well :)) more people to share the love for such a brand !!

anyway, nice collection !!

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Mar 2018, 00:49

jesus christ that multistation is so ugly.... you should totally get it out of your collection. I will help you take that thing out to the trash :P

In all seriousness nice collection bro, you just need a ssk!

JP!

21 Mar 2018, 01:00

Also missing is that awesome AT you painted in an industrial grey which I believe you sold.

Brett MacK

21 Mar 2018, 01:46

Wow I never knew you had such a great collection! I love all of the little custom touches to all of your boards. Good luck finding that business partner, if I see one I will for sure nab it for you.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

21 Mar 2018, 02:11

Myoth wrote:
though I wonder why you don't have a F107 or even a beamspring ! with this luck (that F AT :o ) you surely came across cheap beamers didn't you ? and for the F107, do you just feel like they're not worth it or have you had one but didn't like it ?

sorry for the questions I'm just surprised, I didn't think you were into IBM as well :)) more people to share the love for such a brand !!

anyway, nice collection !!
Thanks, dude!! I haven't run across any cheap beamsprings =( I've pretty much conceded defeat with ever having the opportunity to try, let alone own, one of those boards. I do want an f107 as well, but again, I haven't run across any of them. As far as IBM goes, like Mike said, an SSK would be awesome... I would like to own an unsaver as well - like everyone else, hahaha.
JP! wrote: Also missing is that awesome AT you painted in an industrial grey which I believe you sold.
Yeah, haha. I did indeed sell that one. It went to a loving home, though =)
Brett MacK wrote: Wow I never knew you had such a great collection! I love all of the little custom touches to all of your boards. Good luck finding that business partner, if I see one I will for sure nab it for you.
you're the man!

j0d1

21 Mar 2018, 03:06

I have the IBM Pingmaster on my eBay wish list for a while now but I feel like I'll never use it, as I prefer tactile switches. This photoshoot is tempting me again.

Very nice collection!

depletedvespene

21 Mar 2018, 03:09

Great-looking collection! You and Mike's posts are inspiring me to bump up in my TO DO list the making of a similar post of mine.

I got a good laugh out of the F AT's typing test (in spite of the wrong title screen). Speaking of which...
//gainsborough wrote: As far as IBM goes, like Mike said, an SSK would be awesome...
……
Is it a faux-pas if I offer a trade, an SSK for an F AT? :mrgreen:

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Mar 2018, 03:12

depletedvespene wrote: Great-looking collection! You and Mike's posts are inspiring me to bump up in my TO DO list the making of a similar post of mine.
join the club buddy, collection posts are a good way to feel better about your life choices for a few days

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

21 Mar 2018, 03:14

depletedvespene wrote: st (in spite of the wrong title screen).

goddamnit....

Fixed it!
depletedvespene wrote: Is it a faux-pas if I offer a trade, an SSK for an F AT? :mrgreen:
Not at all, but I would have to politely decline :)

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

21 Mar 2018, 16:05

Very nice!

The DT caps are a nice touch too

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

21 Mar 2018, 16:39

The IBM JX looks like a lot of SHARP boards from that time period (such as the X1 and X68K series, both of which I own and which are verifiably made by Alps when looking at the PCB), so there's a faint possibility that it could have been a collaboration between SHARP, IBM, and Alps Electric. On the other hand, it could just be Alps' preferred layout for the time given that these were designed for the Japanese market where JIS is common. In any case, it's a cool board!

In the next few days I'm going to attempt to get a collection post going, but I have other more pressing matters to attend to right now.

Taeha Types

21 Mar 2018, 19:38

you hoarder :)

JP!

21 Mar 2018, 19:54

FeelgHoodMuzik wrote: you hoarder :)
The best kind of hoarding. This seems like a respectable and organized collection to me rather than a hoard.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

21 Mar 2018, 20:19

JP! wrote:
The best kind of hoarding. This seems like a respectable and organized collection to me rather than a hoard.
Thanks, JP!

I will admit that my collection in general is kinda hoarding a little bit...especially the alps boards that I have multiple of... Luckily I don't have duplicates of any of these IBM boards =)

Taeha Types

21 Mar 2018, 21:58

//gainsborough wrote:
JP! wrote:
Thanks, JP!

I will admit that my collection in general is kinda hoarding a little bit...especially the alps boards that I have multiple of... Luckily I don't have duplicates of any of these IBM boards =)
haha definitely agree, great to see (part of) your collection after having you telling me about it on reddit :)

nsmechkb

22 Mar 2018, 05:09

Such a beautiful album and collection. Thanks for sharing!

The F AT typing video was my favourite. :D

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

22 Mar 2018, 07:03

nsmechkb wrote: Such a beautiful album and collection. Thanks for sharing!

The F AT typing video was my favourite. :D

Hahahaha =P Thanks, dude!

lucar

23 Mar 2018, 00:28

The Chinese multistation and the Jr are priceless!!!!!

Mind-blowing keyboards!

Great

Brot

25 Mar 2018, 15:45

Looks awesome!

Return to “Gallery”