Stuff you just bought

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

22 Mar 2018, 07:15

IMG_20180320_122905.jpg
IMG_20180320_122905.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 5210 times

Iggy

22 Mar 2018, 10:37

Nice key-cap set hypkx, those look quite similar to this set I am awaiting.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

22 Mar 2018, 14:05

I've got a few wafers as well, but they aren't mounted in displays. I think mine are Pentium II wafers.

JP!

22 Mar 2018, 14:11

Blaise170 wrote: I've got a few wafers as well, but they aren't mounted in displays. I think mine are Pentium II wafers.
This is the first one I've bought. Also it was part of a display found in an IBM Research Lab that was in the process of being demolished. I don't necessarily plan to start a collection of silicon though.

rich1051414

22 Mar 2018, 16:48

Finished my SMK switch build, but waiting on my aftermarket case before posting picks. Currently in an old Quick Fire Rapid case, so it's nothing to look at.

nsmechkb

22 Mar 2018, 18:06

rich1051414 wrote: Finished my SMK switch build, but waiting on my aftermarket case before posting picks. Currently in an old Quick Fire Rapid case, so it's nothing to look at.
I like plastic cases. I'd love to see a couple of pics. If you don't want that to be our first impression, maybe you could include them after you post pics with the new case, please?

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

22 Mar 2018, 18:46

Iggy wrote: Nice key-cap set hypkx, those look quite similar to this set I am awaiting.
Thanks and this is also a very nice set.

green-squid

22 Mar 2018, 20:57

I didn't buy it, but I found a 'Datas' Monochrome CRT monitor on the curb today! It has a 9-pin MDA input. Can't connect it to any video source at the moment, but I'm glad I saved it! :D
Attachments
20180322_182159.jpg
20180322_182159.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 5081 times

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

23 Mar 2018, 16:33

green-squid wrote: I didn't buy it, but I found a 'Datas' Monochrome CRT monitor on the curb today! It has a 9-pin MDA input. Can't connect it to any video source at the moment, but I'm glad I saved it! :D
damn man, ttl monitors are getting rarer every day, nice find. I got mine at a surplus electronics store about 5 years ago for $5.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Mar 2018, 16:37

I got this a few weeks ago, goes along perfect with your monochrome CRT.

Elrick

24 Mar 2018, 03:51

Blaise170 wrote: I got this a few weeks ago, goes along perfect with your monochrome CRT.

Talk about authenticity :shock: .

Is this what has come to fruition here on Deskthority, where it's no longer good enough to just acquire any old keyboard BUT it must be connected to it's ORIGINAL PC.

You do know how almost lifeless it is, simply getting onto the web and conducting any business with it?

Although I have to give you a thumbs up for shear tenacity and outright commitment.

rich1051414

24 Mar 2018, 06:48

nsmechkb wrote:
rich1051414 wrote: Finished my SMK switch build, but waiting on my aftermarket case before posting picks. Currently in an old Quick Fire Rapid case, so it's nothing to look at.
I like plastic cases. I'd love to see a couple of pics. If you don't want that to be our first impression, maybe you could include them after you post pics with the new case, please?
Well, this keyboard was my 'first', and the case is cut up and has a poor paint job. You don't want to see it, take my word on that. It is why I picked up a new case for it in the first place(off mass drop), even before I knew I was going to go with SMK switches and a new PCB for them.

The only thing that will be left of my old rapid fire tkl will be the plate :P

Most of the switches are wore out in it as well, so not even going to save those.

As far as the modern stock SMK switches go, they are nice. They feel lighter than white alps, just as tactile, the click is not as loud, but also a bit less consistent sounding. Overall, they feel a bit 'delicate' in comparison, but the tactility is on the heavy side compared to the actual spring weight. There is very little pre-travel, and the tactility of the click leaf is immediate, like hitting a snag. Really sharp and immediate feeling. Overall though, I like the switch.

green-squid

24 Mar 2018, 10:19

Blaise170 wrote: I got this a few weeks ago, goes along perfect with your monochrome CRT.

Cool! Have you considered making it a Raspberry Pi terminal or something (BBS)? :)

y11971alex

24 Mar 2018, 12:22

Any info on this?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

24 Mar 2018, 12:26

green-squid wrote:

Cool! Have you considered making it a Raspberry Pi terminal or something (BBS)? :)
Honestly I don't really have any idea what to do with it. From my understanding these were typically used for print terminals, so there isn't actually much on the system itself.

green-squid

24 Mar 2018, 13:04

Look into making it a Raspberry pi terminal! It would be awesome!

Iggy

24 Mar 2018, 13:14

cables_f122.jpg
cables_f122.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 4931 times
Oh look what the mailman dropped off, some fancy cables.

Polecat

24 Mar 2018, 19:26

y11971alex wrote: Image

Any info on this?
Monterey K101/K102, possibly blue Alps SKCM but could be white SKCM:

keyboards-f2/identify-this-keyboard-thr ... ey#p382931

edit: sorry, just saw the replies in the Identify section...I didn't know these came with Mitsumi switches also.

BTW, one of these (blue Alps) just sold on ebay yesterday. Thought it was the same one, but apparently not.

JP!

25 Mar 2018, 00:37

Just bought this IBM 5160 for a good price. Comes with neat dust covers for the keyboard and drive bays, XT keyboard, a second mystery keyboard, misc accessories, cables, and an unopened copy of dos.
5160.jpg
5160.jpg (194.13 KiB) Viewed 4859 times

green-squid

25 Mar 2018, 14:35

JP! wrote: Just bought this IBM 5160 for a good price. Comes with neat dust covers for the keyboard and drive bays, XT keyboard, a second mystery keyboard, misc accessories, cables, and an unopened copy of dos.
5160.jpg
Fuck yeah JP MORGAN! Awesome find! You're very lucky to have the original computer it came with. :) :)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

25 Mar 2018, 15:55

First shipment from Japan has arrived! Two Alps SKCM Blue boards as well as an SKCL Green board. Most of the others are some kind of NEC switch (white, cream, and black NEC Ovals) as well as a few other interesting switch types. I'll explain more later once I'm able to spend more time on documenting them.

JP!

25 Mar 2018, 16:17

Dang, that's a haul.

Elrick

26 Mar 2018, 03:31

JP! wrote: Dang, that's a haul.
That's two large suitcases worth.

Talk about being committed to acquiring even more rare keyboards, good onya for doing it. Very few people do that nowadays but getting them ALL from Japan is a real coup.

We need someone to get a load of Korean Keyboards if that's at all possible.

Everything has to be documented here for our perusal :ugeek:.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

26 Mar 2018, 09:51

Something big is coming my way.

Luna
Alt255

26 Mar 2018, 10:03

Nice big connector!

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

26 Mar 2018, 10:04

Unfortunately, that is precisely the part that will go :D

Nuum

26 Mar 2018, 11:48

That looks to be in amazing condition. If I ever decide to get a Beamspring again, it has to be one of those Bigfoot 5251 or a 3279-style one. Provided I can find one of course.

Khers

26 Mar 2018, 22:06

I got this bag in the mail today:
Spoiler:
Hmm, it says TX on it?
A little unassuming, perhaps, but that means something quite special has shown up.

Well, well, look what we've got here
Do excuse the poor lighting and mediocre focus. I've tried to reproduce the shade of gray correctly (the second to last or the last are the best ones in that respect), but, as anyone who's tried acquiring a photo in my livingroom when the northern singularity has absorbed all light will tell you, it's nigh on impossible.

I've been eagerly anticipating this keyboard since I first heard word of it quite some time ago. I've long been an admirer of kin's work, but 60%, more specifically HHKB, is where it's at for me. Now that I've received it, I can tell you that the wait has been well worth it. It's a beautiful little number. Anodisation is second to no one, and, to my eyes at least, it just looks right (quite unlike the latest reddit hype that is the rama 60 something that just looks like a piece of crap).

I'll build it immediately with some aristotlios, or maybe some holy pandas.

No, I'm just kidding. I hate meme switches about as much as I loathe dry bread. This keyboard will get only the very best; perfectly, for my taste, tuned nixies.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Mar 2018, 22:10

Great stuff! I have admired it as well but had to skip due to too many keyboards. Looks like A+ build quality.

Khers

26 Mar 2018, 22:31

I can understand that given what you have in storage. Having said that, you're missing a real treat!

Return to “News”