HHKB - BT

ShivaYash

04 Jul 2017, 11:13

Hello chaps,
I finally have got the BT version of my favourite keyboard. I am pleased to report, at this early stage, it is exactly what I wanted. Sure its not a type S but Mr Hypersphere will be able to lend a hand in this regard. The BT works very smoothly, I can see almost no difference between the wired and wireless versions. The battery life (published) is meant to be very good, but I'll report back in due course. Interesting to note, it did not like my Sanyo Eneloops, I got an orange light upon insertion versus a blue light, with the factory supplied Fujitsu ones.
I travel a fair bit for work now and this will be my companion on the German trains, until I got told off.
I hope in the future PFU release a white casing, I think its nicer than the black.
Now I have the difficult task of parting with my wired unit :-(
Advert to follow.

ShivaYash

06 Jul 2017, 13:28

Very happy with my wireless setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShivaYash

10 Jul 2017, 14:30

Hello chaps,

As you can all tell, I'm really enjoying my new BT keyboard. I am a little puzzled that my thread has not received any interest. Are BT KBs not a hot topic?

I've been using it for a few days now, its usually in my bag and set up a mobile desk at my place of work. I'm an academic and at the moment teaching at a summer school in London. I can say that the ease of wireless means I am more likely to use the HHKB even for the smallest of typing tasks. The connection is super fast, I've even say faster than the wired version. The key feel is identical to the wired version, but I am minded to try out @hypersphere's pads, and see if that improves things. But honestly, it feels great out of the box.

If you are searching for a BT KB I think your options are limited, the Filco MINILA sports a very strange layout. I appreciate the HHKB BT is only a JP available product, but it works nicely for my application. And the battery bulge really isn't an issue. I like the fact it has easy to replace batteries. Carrying AAs isn't an issue at all.

subcat

10 Jul 2017, 14:40

In my experience, Hyperspheres reduce travel and tactility - something to keep in mind before taking the plunge. They do a great job when it comes to silencing, though.
I've heard good things about the full-size Filco bluetooth models, too.

wobbled

10 Jul 2017, 14:52

What about the silencing rings from kbdfans / aliexpress? I've heard they don't reduce tactility as much as hyperspheres do. Plus they're not a complete and utter rip off like hyperspheres are.

ShivaYash

10 Jul 2017, 14:54

wobbled wrote: What about the silencing rings from kbdfans / aliexpress? I've heard they don't reduce tactility as much as hyperspheres do. Plus they're not a complete and utter rip off like hyperspheres are.
Could you send me a link please? I agree the HS ones are £££
Like I said, the feel out of the box is good, I like the HHKB wired, and this one feels exactly the same. I never modded my wired one so perhaps its not needed. But if the price is good, I'd be willing to try. Are they are faff to fit?

wobbled

10 Jul 2017, 14:58

ShivaYash wrote:
wobbled wrote: What about the silencing rings from kbdfans / aliexpress? I've heard they don't reduce tactility as much as hyperspheres do. Plus they're not a complete and utter rip off like hyperspheres are.
Could you send me a link please? I agree the HS ones are £££
Like I said, the feel out of the box is good, I like the HHKB wired, and this one feels exactly the same. I never modded my wired one so perhaps its not needed. But if the price is good, I'd be willing to try. Are they are faff to fit?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KBDfans ... 84682.html

These are the ones I keep getting tempted to buy, literally just a ring you slide on, probably less fiddley than hyperspheres.

ShivaYash

10 Jul 2017, 15:08

Thanks! I'll take a look. To be honest, I not had more joy with such O-ring mods in the past. I used a similar thing for my Cherry boards, and just, it had an effect, but I did not really like it.

On a more interesting point, does anyone know where I can obtain a metal HHKB BT sticker??

With best,

wobbled

10 Jul 2017, 15:17

ShivaYash wrote: Thanks! I'll take a look. To be honest, I not had more joy with such O-ring mods in the past. I used a similar thing for my Cherry boards, and just, it had an effect, but I did not really like it.

On a more interesting point, does anyone know where I can obtain a metal HHKB BT sticker??

With best,
Topre mods work differently though, on cherry mx the o rings prevent you from bottoming out and cushion the landing sound. On topre they prevent the upstroke 'thwack' sound which sometimes completely drowns out the thocks.

Also looking for a HHKB metal sticker, I wish the people that run these projects would release design files and the name of the companies that made the stickers so we can request them from the creators themselves

TuxKey
LLAP

10 Jul 2017, 17:39

As a fc660c fan i have to admit it does look nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPX-926

10 Jul 2017, 21:30

Hello ShivaYash. Thank you for sharing your experiences of the Bluetooth HHKB. I am very interested in this keyboard. I enjoy this layout and I am happy to have it available in a wireless form.

Would you be able to share more photos of this keyboard in use? It is hard to find lots of user photos of this keyboard.

Which operating system do you use? I am specifically interested in its compatibility with Linux or the BSD family. I am also keen to hear how it works on Windows if you use that. I have to use a Windows PC at work and would like to begin using a HHKB.

ShivaYash

23 Mar 2018, 23:06

BPX-926 wrote: Hello ShivaYash. Thank you for sharing your experiences of the Bluetooth HHKB. I am very interested in this keyboard. I enjoy this layout and I am happy to have it available in a wireless form.

Would you be able to share more photos of this keyboard in use? It is hard to find lots of user photos of this keyboard.

Which operating system do you use? I am specifically interested in its compatibility with Linux or the BSD family. I am also keen to hear how it works on Windows if you use that. I have to use a Windows PC at work and would like to begin using a HHKB.
The HHKB will I'm sure work on a Windows machine but you must bear in mind, it was designed, so far as I can tell, for Mac users. I say this because it has two command keys and also several other Mac related shortcuts.

Return to “Keyboards”