IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

24 Mar 2018, 14:23

kbdfr wrote: A shame someone virtually destroyed that board just for a few caps.
The real issue here is the broken caps lock key, I have no idea why someone would do that

y11971alex

24 Mar 2018, 14:36

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

24 Mar 2018, 14:38

y11971alex wrote: Image
monterey k101, either alps skcm blue or mitsumi miniature yellow (the latter seems less common than the former)

y11971alex

24 Mar 2018, 16:01

Hoping for blue alps then. :P

Polecat

24 Mar 2018, 19:33

Pwner wrote: Had a friend send me this board recently, no badges/labels that I've seen. I'm assuming a G80-04XX but I am not sure.
Wow, that was part of a portable case setup, it fit into the front of the case and locked in place with two sliding catches. I think I still have one here with a 386 motherboard inside. It was sold as a case/keyboard/power supply unit and you added your own motherboard and cards to make it a system.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

24 Mar 2018, 19:36

Polecat wrote:
Pwner wrote: Had a friend send me this board recently, no badges/labels that I've seen. I'm assuming a G80-04XX but I am not sure.
Wow, that was part of a portable case setup, it fit into the front of the case and locked in place with two sliding catches. I think I still have one here with a 386 motherboard inside. It was sold as a case/keyboard/power supply unit and you added your own motherboard and cards to make it a system.
yup, that's how I originally got it. I would have loved to have gotten the whole systems but shipping would have been too much. I got the seller to remove the boards.

cml

24 Mar 2018, 22:16

It's a Zenith Data Systems keyboard.

What switches could it have?
196899907_0.jpg.jpg
196899907_0.jpg.jpg (70.77 KiB) Viewed 4886 times

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Mar 2018, 22:40

Honeywell rubber dome it seems:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54174.0

Not to be mistaken for the Silitek rubber dome version:

keyboards-f2/zenith-sk-2000re-t8236.html

(Different shape case)

cml

24 Mar 2018, 22:41

Thanks.

Pwner

25 Mar 2018, 01:00

kbdfr wrote:

A shame someone virtually destroyed that board just for a few caps.
Pwner wrote:
hansichen wrote: Good luck trying to restore this board, he pretty much only took unique caps which are not easy to replace. You can probably just buy a new board instead of investing time into this one...
I have plenty of other boards so it's not a big deal. It will probably just sit on my shelf and collect dust until I figure out what to do with it.
Well, I happen to have one of those unique keycaps: the PrtSc *.
Plus the F keys (correct profile) but missing F9, and the numrow 0 key but with non-striked 0 (and perhaps different hue).
Please PM me if you are interested AND if you intend to somehow restore the board :!:
I appreciate that offer and I will certainly be sending you a PM.

Polecat

25 Mar 2018, 01:11

This may be an XT-only board (no SysRq key), and from the connector photo one that may require a reset connection. That would explain why it wouldn't work on most converters. Just thinking out loud. I believe mine was XT/AT with a slide switch, but they sold these for several years and probably more than one version.

Pwner

25 Mar 2018, 01:14

Polecat wrote:

This may be an XT-only board (no SysRq key), and from the connector photo one that may require a reset connection. That would explain why it wouldn't work on most converters. Just thinking out loud. I believe mine was XT/AT with a slide switch, but they sold these for several years and probably more than one version.
That wasn't this board. I picked up a G80-0693 from Mike a few weeks or so ago and that one wouldn't work for him. This one should be relatively simple to convert.

Elrick

25 Mar 2018, 03:31

y11971alex wrote: Image
LOVE the Model-M style casing, superb on every level :D .

I hope you get an all Alps type switch with it, so you get a slight feeling of what old IBM iron feels like ;) .

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

25 Mar 2018, 03:53

Polecat wrote:

as I said above the board does not work reliably, even under genuine xt class hardware. the real issue is the board I believe.

PlacaFromHell

25 Mar 2018, 08:03

Somebody know something about the second one from up or if it matchs with this board?

Ivalop750

25 Mar 2018, 18:05

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

25 Mar 2018, 18:07

$0

it's maxi switch dome with slider, noone wants that

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

26 Mar 2018, 21:14

Can anyone identify the teal switches in this image? Looks like they might be some kind of Omron B3G-S clones but don't remember ever seeing them before.

P.S. Anyone know where the orange SMK switches come from? I don't think I've ever seen a keyboard with them.

Myoth

26 Mar 2018, 21:18

I think the teams are KPT but I'm not sure I never remember

the orange SMK are found on AliExpress and Taobao easily though I'm not sure I've ever seen them in a board before :/

Noobmaen

26 Mar 2018, 21:36

Blaise170 wrote: Can anyone identify the teal switches in this image? Looks like they might be some kind of Omron B3G-S clones but don't remember ever seeing them before.
Spoiler:
P.S. Anyone know where the orange SMK switches come from? I don't think I've ever seen a keyboard with them.
The teal switches should be Dai-Ichi_CL-1145_Green

Keybug

26 Mar 2018, 22:47

Hey. Am I right in assuming that keyboard is Cherry made and will almost certainly have MX blacks? Nice spherical caps, eh? Still trying to convince the owner to sell / send it to me without that monster of a printer, though...
Attachments
VintageLabelMaker.JPG
VintageLabelMaker.JPG (56.64 KiB) Viewed 4744 times

Nuum

26 Mar 2018, 22:51

I'm almost certain it has Cherry M8 switches, see: wiki/Cherry_G80-0662

Noobmaen

26 Mar 2018, 22:51

I would guess it has M8 instead of MX, seems to be the same layout as G80-0662

hansichen

26 Mar 2018, 22:53

Most likely that's Cherry M8. These keycaps look like the flat cherry caps and Cherry liked to use those with M8 switches (eg the G80-0662). Also this is a laptop so it would make sense to use low profile switches, there are some other laptops which use M8 + these caps too.
As far as I know these style of caps can come with mx black too but there is a low profile and a medium profile version of the caps, I would expect that the medium profile version comes with MX but I don't have personal experience in that regard.
The laptop with the printer is still a nice thing due to its absurd color, lovely piece of computer hardware

Keybug

26 Mar 2018, 22:59

M8 - I see, thanks a lot. I'll pass then. Seller in Germany is only asking for 20€, but it might be tough to convince him to mail it. Here is the URL: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... pp_android

Ivalop750

27 Mar 2018, 00:06

Can it be like a fujitsu FKB4725? I can buy it for € 5, what do you think?

Daniel Beardsmore

27 Mar 2018, 00:30

For $5 I would be very tempted, as those switches (Peerless) are really interesting, and that one has proper 105-key ISO layout (mine's only 102-key, which is a deal-breaker for me). Be careful about cleaning though as the space bar has a weird little spring around the stabiliser wire for stiffness (mine's around the wrong way and it's jammed the space bar solid) and the wide keys may need lubricating after cleaning otherwise they can become too stiff to use. (I've never tried to resurrect mine.)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

27 Mar 2018, 02:52

I have what appears to be a black version of NEC oval switches, but unlike the others I have, it uses Futaba inverse mount keycaps. Have these been documented anywhere before?

I've also got some other stuff to go over, but this is all for now.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

27 Mar 2018, 05:35

Blaise170 wrote: I have what appears to be a black version of NEC oval switches, but unlike the others I have, it uses Futaba inverse mount keycaps. Have these been documented anywhere before?

Hmmm, I had a loose switch of one of these in the past, I believe I gave it to chyros.

Chyros

27 Mar 2018, 07:56

mike52787 wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: I have what appears to be a black version of NEC oval switches, but unlike the others I have, it uses Futaba inverse mount keycaps. Have these been documented anywhere before?

Hmmm, I had a loose switch of one of these in the past, I believe I gave it to chyros.
Yes, I've got one. It's linear.

Return to “Keyboards”