Have you ever met someone on Deskthority in real life?

green-squid

29 Mar 2018, 20:19

I'm curious!

samuelcable

29 Mar 2018, 20:27

I personally haven't but considering how widespread meetups are, it is very likely for a lot of people here :D

there's so many people I'd meet just to touch their keyboards

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Mar 2018, 20:30

I'm not sure about Deskthority, but I've definitely met Geekhack and Reddit users a few years ago. The community has changed a lot since then so I'm not even sure if a lot of those people are still around though.

green-squid

29 Mar 2018, 20:33

Blaise170 wrote: I'm not sure about Deskthority, but I've definitely met Geekhack and Reddit users a few years ago. The community has changed a lot since then so I'm not even sure if a lot of those people are still around though.
What meetups have you been to? I haven't been to any, but when I'm in my young adult years, I will be doing so much stuff, including going to meetups, moving out of Hungary, getting a job and a home and so much more (to avoid a midlife crisis)

hansichen

29 Mar 2018, 20:47

There are meetups from time to time, but they are cross plattform meetups. I've only met an artisan collector so far who is mainly active on gh and reddit and we had a fun time together.

Slom

29 Mar 2018, 20:49

I really wanted to join the frankfurt meeting last year, but then real life intervened :(

green-squid

29 Mar 2018, 20:52

hansichen wrote: There are meetups from time to time, but they are cross plattform meetups. I've only met an artisan collector so far who is mainly active on gh and reddit and we had a fun time together.
cool!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Mar 2018, 20:52

Blaise170 wrote: I'm not sure about Deskthority, but I've definitely met Geekhack and Reddit users a few years ago. The community has changed a lot since then so I'm not even sure if a lot of those people are still around though.
I went to the one in Kentucky back in 2015 (https://www.meetup.com/LVL1Hackerspace/events/223134882 ). Was a great time, but I've long since moved away. :|

PlacaFromHell

29 Mar 2018, 20:54

I meet people and then discovered that were part of Deskthority :lol: The inverse process is really fun

green-squid

29 Mar 2018, 21:06

Blaise170 wrote:
I went to the one in Kentucky back in 2015 (https://www.meetup.com/LVL1Hackerspace/events/223134882 ). Was a great time, but I've long since moved away. :|
Awesome! ;)

samuelcable

29 Mar 2018, 21:10

Blaise170 wrote:

i didnt know they had some in kentucky in the past :/ ive been waiting ages for one to come to kentucky

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Mar 2018, 21:33

samuelcable wrote: i didnt know they had some in kentucky in the past :/ ive been waiting ages for one to come to kentucky
There's been at least two that I know of - but then I was gone from the keyboard world from 2016 until just a couple of months ago so there could have been even more since then.

ShivaYash

30 Mar 2018, 00:17

Yes I have, once. i$ in Germany. A very very nice chap indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elecplus

30 Mar 2018, 00:25

I know at least 4 other users here in person :-)

Norman_

30 Mar 2018, 00:56

I was at the /r/MK newark meetup a month or two ago. Met quite a few members, was a good time. Most notably Ellipse, his new model Fs were incredible. Got to see some of the new keycaps in person, i can't wait for them.

codemonkeymike

30 Mar 2018, 01:06

Norman_ wrote: I was at the /r/MK newark meetup a month or two ago. Met quite a few members, was a good time. Most notably Ellipse, his new model Fs were incredible. Got to see some of the new keycaps in person, i can't wait for them.
I was there as well, most people just acted like normal humans and put their real names on their namecards so I am not sure who I met, other then Ellipse and that keycap maker from Geekhack

derzemel

30 Mar 2018, 09:09

I was in Italy with my fiancé 2 years ago. On a whim, I told @matt3o. He is a really really great guy and, together with his wife, showed us around Florence. I hope I can repay him some day.

Also, because I am from Bucharest, I have met gogusrl, DanielT and AdrianMan multiple times. Again, really great chaps, very helpful and selfless.
Last edited by derzemel on 30 Mar 2018, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

XCII

30 Mar 2018, 18:48

Since the danish subforum on Deskthority is basically dead, I'll ask here instead: Does anyone know of meetups taking place in Denmark? :-)

Chyros

30 Mar 2018, 20:03

Met Webwit and some Dutch members that are on here occasionally :) .

Findecanor

30 Mar 2018, 20:16

I have a memory that I once met Chyros and told him to **** off but that may have been a dream.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

30 Mar 2018, 20:40

Findecanor wrote: I have a memory that I once met Chyros and told him to **** off but that may have been a dream.
:lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

30 Mar 2018, 20:57

Tons of people! There‘s a bi-monthly DT gang bang at my place. Some members are regulars, others are waiting for the first event featuring a real chick.

PlacaFromHell

30 Mar 2018, 21:07

Wodan wrote: Tons of people! There‘s a bi-monthly DT gang bang at my place. Some members are regulars, others are waiting for the first event featuring a real chick.
Keyboard collectors we were made to die alone :cry:

Chyros

30 Mar 2018, 22:22

Findecanor wrote: I have a memory that I once met Chyros and told him to **** off but that may have been a dream.
Oh dear, what have I done now, was it a Cherry, a 60% or something ergonomic or whatever? :p

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

30 Mar 2018, 22:26

Chyros wrote:
Oh dear, what have I done now, was it a Cherry, a 60% or something ergonomic or whatever? :p
Yes. :lol:

Khers

30 Mar 2018, 22:39

I've met a couple locals, but they are mostly active on geekhack/reddit.

Chyros

31 Mar 2018, 12:34

Blaise170 wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Yes. :lol:
Ah, yes, I committed the ultimate sin again - not sharing someone's opinion! :lol:

wobbled

31 Mar 2018, 12:47

Chyros wrote: Ah, yes, I committed the ultimate sin again - not sharing someone's opinion! :lol:
You straight up savage

depletedvespene

01 Apr 2018, 19:25

Me? No one. Yet. Can't wait to get to travel to USA to, among other stuff, meet at least two of the regulars.

Darkshado

01 Apr 2018, 23:10

Maybe? Though the people at the last Montreal meetup were mostly from r/MK.

Return to “Off-topic”