[IC] SKBXX solid bent alu case made in Germany (60%+75%)

Menuhin

28 Mar 2018, 19:50

PlastikSchnittstelle wrote:
kokokoy wrote: Looks great man. Btw, did you do a 75% sample?
as much as i would have liked to, this would have been too expansive.
I got five pieces of the same parts as sample:
5x plate-a
5x bottom
5x top (though top parts are 3x standard and 2x hhkb)

It is basically the same price if i do just one case or five. setting up the machines is what costs so much. adding different parts would require a different machine setup again. more of the same part instead doesn't require any new setup.
Does it mean that you may not work on any sample and go straight to production for the 75%?
It sounds a bit risky right? Perhaps you can also offer to sell the samples, like how some other GB did, and I hope this can lower the cost to make sure most of the configurations are all right.

hansichen

28 Mar 2018, 20:04

The 75% board is more a less just a bigger version of the 60% version, there shouldn't be too much that can go wrong. Stuff like spacing, USB-cutout, screw hole positions, the finish etc has been tested in this prototype now so there shouldn't be too much that can go wrong (as long as there is not a major design issue which is normally not the case). Prototypes are more expensive than normal boards so even if he sells the current ones at a loss it'll result in a higher kit price, that's why I think it's a good compromise the way he did it.

Menuhin

28 Mar 2018, 20:27

hansichen wrote: The 75% board is more a less just a bigger version of the 60% version, there shouldn't be too much that can go wrong. Stuff like spacing, USB-cutout, screw hole positions, the finish etc has been tested in this prototype now so there shouldn't be too much that can go wrong (as long as there is not a major design issue which is normally not the case). Prototypes are more expensive than normal boards so even if he sells the current ones at a loss it'll result in a higher kit price, that's why I think it's a good compromise the way he did it.
I agree, prototypes are expensive.
I'll press my thumbs to have the productions all run well and as expected; and hope PlastikSchnittstelle can have the possibility to keep a closer eye at the production (esp. 75%) when they start.

kokokoy

29 Mar 2018, 06:09

Got it. Thanks PlastikSchnittstelle. So far in for a 60%.

duoshock

02 Apr 2018, 00:40

I'm in for a 75%. does it compatible with standard 75% plate?

hansichen

02 Apr 2018, 00:43

duoshock wrote: I'm in for a 75%. does it compatible with standard 75% plate?
This case design is top mount so the plate is directly attached to the case. Therefore this case needs special plates which support these mounting points, you can see the 60% version of these plates in this build log: https://imgur.com/a/70J4e

PlastikSchnittstelle

02 Apr 2018, 12:19

duoshock wrote: I'm in for a 75%. does it compatible with standard 75% plate?
you don't need a plate, since it comes with one. look here.
If you mean PCB, all the standard/popular ones fit.

duoshock

02 Apr 2018, 20:13

Thanks guys,

I like split spacebar layout, like kbdfans 75%. I read the earlier comments about supporting that board, so no worries there.

On the other hand, I prefer coast stabilizing over cherry one and also I love bluetooth(wireless) keyboard, that required a plastic plate.

I could easily get a plate made if it's standard plate, but I'm willing to compromise all that for an awesome case!

I know it's a big ask, will you be happy to share the exact measure of the plate(just the plate :) ) when the GB is finished?

PlastikSchnittstelle

02 Apr 2018, 21:38

duoshock wrote: Thanks guys,

I like split spacebar layout, like kbdfans 75%. I read the earlier comments about supporting that board, so no worries there.

On the other hand, I prefer coast stabilizing over cherry one and also I love bluetooth(wireless) keyboard, that required a plastic plate.

I could easily get a plate made if it's standard plate, but I'm willing to compromise all that for an awesome case!

I know it's a big ask, will you be happy to share the exact measure of the plate(just the plate :) ) when the GB is finished?
Sorry, costar stabilizers are not supported by the provided plate, only cherry PCB-mount stabilizers.

Regarding Bluetooth. Yes, an all metal case would block the signal. You think a plastic (or do you mean acrylic?) plate would help the signal to get out? I wouldn't be so sure about that, since it is a high profile case. It may work but I doubt it.

Asking for the plate data is not a big ask at all, others had asked before. At a later point I can provide you with the plate data. Then you could make a plate that supports costar stabs. Be aware: if you make a plate thicker than 1.5mm, you would also need longer screws.

duoshock

02 Apr 2018, 22:56

duoshock wrote: Thanks guys,

Sorry, costar stabilizers are not supported by the provided plate, only cherry PCB-mount stabilizers.

Regarding Bluetooth. Yes, an all metal case would block the signal. You think a plastic (or do you mean acrylic?) plate would help the signal to get out? I wouldn't be so sure about that, since it is a high profile case. It may work but I doubt it.

Asking for the plate data is not a big ask at all, others had asked before. At a later point I can provide you with the plate data. Then you could make a plate that supports costar stabs. Be aware: if you make a plate thicker than 1.5mm, you would also need longer screws.
That's great news! Thanks for sharing the plate data. :)
I have 2 bluetooth keyboards with aluminium case, everything works as normal apart from the range is being shortened. Hope it will work with this case too.

Komodowaran

03 Apr 2018, 06:33

Hey guys,

can u give me a nearly price perception. I just want to know which price dimension we are talking about for this really really wonderful project. Keep going on dude !!!

kokokoy

03 Apr 2018, 09:35

It would be more than the estimated pricing written on the bottom of the original post. But GB to happen end of this week anyway (as PlastikSchnittstelle said on GH) so I guess you can just wait for that.

thokir

03 Apr 2018, 09:39

kokokoy wrote: But GB to happen end of this week anyway (as PlastikSchnittstelle said on GH).
Ugh, I need to get my shit sold for this one... I expected to have a few more weeks to do that.

Btw, I have no idea if it got talked about that (but I think so), the plate doesn't support alps, does it?
E: No, at least the design doesn't support alps.

PlastikSchnittstelle

06 Apr 2018, 23:40

thokir wrote:
kokokoy wrote: But GB to happen end of this week anyway (as PlastikSchnittstelle said on GH).
Ugh, I need to get my shit sold for this one... I expected to have a few more weeks to do that.

Btw, I have no idea if it got talked about that (but I think so), the plate doesn't support alps, does it?
E: No, at least the design doesn't support alps.

sorry for letting you wait.
and sorry again, no alps support.
yet another sorry for this external link - there I explained why no alps support.

PlastikSchnittstelle

06 Apr 2018, 23:41

one more small note. I had stated some while back that I would hope the cutouts in the plate were large enough to remove the PCB-mount stabs although assembled - now I know why this is such a difficult thing. once it's built you can't get them out. just like with all other plates for PCB stabs. I think I know now what I would have to change but this is something for another project.

so like always with pcb stabs: make sure you get them lubed and perfect before you put everything together ;)

the steel plate is supersolid btw. probably due to the big surface area around the side of the plate. especially I am super happy with the feeling vs the aluminium plate that I have in the prototype (65%). with every bottom out the alu plate reflected vibration back into my fingers, just very slightly but still noticeable. not so with the steel plates now, absolutely enjoy typing on it.
also, yes, soundtest/typingdemo still coming. got the mount for my phone yesterday.

damn, preparing everything for the GB takes so much time! hope I can start it by sunday.

PlastikSchnittstelle

10 Apr 2018, 19:05

IC phase ended

GB here

RealityCavesIn

10 Apr 2018, 19:59

Nice! Placed my order. Really looking forward to this one :D

Franzl

11 Apr 2018, 08:20

FSund wrote: Any chance that it will be possible to have a arrow key cluster in the lower right of the 60% boards?

Something like this (ISO version):
keyboard-layout (2).jpg
The highligted keys are the most important, the layout of the rest of the bottom row is not that important for me. But standard 1.25u caps on the left side and 6.25u space is nice for keycap compatibility though.
yes, as of now that is supported!
please look at "SKB PLATE DZ60/YAS/BANANA-UNI", lower right. That just has the split spacebar but of course it could be a normal 6.25U instead. again, the pictures don't show every single possible option.
Is this standard plate b?

Return to “Group buys”