Post the ugliest keyboards you've seen!

RobOSX

12 Apr 2018, 20:19

Brett MacK wrote: Am I the only one that hates artisans?
ugly keb.jpg
While my dislike from them is abundant, my teenage daughter loves them. To each their own.

Elrick

13 Apr 2018, 04:59

purdobol wrote: What are you guys talking about?
Horrid key-set as pictured, simply beyond words of decency or logic.
purdobol wrote: It's beautiful and full of personality and character.
Visual ROADKILL but perhaps worthy of arousing teenagers ONLY.
purdobol wrote: Not to mention it's worth some serious dough so typing on it must feel like heaven.
So is a Can of Piero Manzoni Shit - http://livehopething.blogspot.de/2015/0 ... 00000.html. But would you really want to type with it? Anything can be worth something but those key-caps which are ugly as crap fits in with the crass and useless categories. Would never pollute any of my keyboards with this junk.
purdobol wrote: Jelly much?
Only at the naivety and stupidity of younger humans that still don't know what good taste is. Maybe they will mature at the later end of their lives but who knows. Bad taste seems to envelope some people more than others.

samuelcable

13 Apr 2018, 05:27

Elrick wrote:
purdobol wrote: What are you guys talking about?
Horrid key-set as pictured, simply beyond words of decency or logic.
purdobol wrote: It's beautiful and full of personality and character.
Visual ROADKILL but perhaps worthy of arousing teenagers ONLY.
purdobol wrote: Not to mention it's worth some serious dough so typing on it must feel like heaven.
So is a Can of Piero Manzoni Shit - http://livehopething.blogspot.de/2015/0 ... 00000.html. But would you really want to type with it? Anything can be worth something but those key-caps which are ugly as crap fits in with the crass and useless categories. Would never pollute any of my keyboards with this junk.
purdobol wrote: Jelly much?
Only at the naivety and stupidity of younger humans that still don't know what good taste is. Maybe they will mature at the later end of their lives but who knows. Bad taste seems to envelope some people more than others.
are you ok?

purdobol

13 Apr 2018, 09:07

green-squid

13 Apr 2018, 09:10

samuelcable wrote: are you ok?
He's an interesting fellow

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Apr 2018, 10:00

Well, guys, you've got to live with the fact that most adults shake their heads when you write "keeb" or "keebs" or drool over bling-bling keyboard stuff.
The positive aspect, though, is that it gives you a feeling of belonging to a cool minority.

Which, after all, is probably exactly what you're after :lol:

purdobol

13 Apr 2018, 11:59

Nothing new. Same old generational conflict as always. Old geezers look for practical, while youngsters experiment with new ideas gathering knowledge and having fun in the process. Icronically one can get the impression of wanting to "fit in" from the other side too. The elite club with impeccable sense of style. Which isn't excactly mature. But hey this is the case in every hobby.

Audio enthusiast buying cables for thousand of dollars, and hearing the difference.
Radio amateurs bitching about SDR, that it's nothing more than cheap toys, while praising the newest product costing 2k based on same technology.
Don't have to mention people buying blue alps or beamers for ridiculous prices am I? :lol:

In other words, no matter where you look. You can always find young and naive, and adult "boys".
One is more embarassing than the other to be honest.

Laser
emacs -nw

13 Apr 2018, 12:13

I wish you were right, but I very much doubt that they "experiment" and "have fun in the process". It's rather more like just copying what is deemed as "cool" by commercials and colleagues who already brainwashed themselves, in order to integrate, to fit amongst the others. If you want to see experiments, hop to the "workshop" subforum.
Last edited by Laser on 13 Apr 2018, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

Dingster

13 Apr 2018, 12:44

At least the caps are reusable on modern topre boards, also isnt that ulgy at least imo 8-)

zool

13 Apr 2018, 12:57

That is fine imo, HMI's kinda live in their own space. Colour grouping like that is very useful for operators. If its practical it has a beauty of its own.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

13 Apr 2018, 15:02

purdobol wrote: Nothing new. Same old generational conflict as always. Old geezers look for practical, while youngsters experiment with new ideas gathering knowledge and having fun in the process. Icronically one can get the impression of wanting to "fit in" from the other side too. The elite club with impeccable sense of style. Which isn't excactly mature. But hey this is the case in every hobby.

Audio enthusiast buying cables for thousand of dollars, and hearing the difference.
Radio amateurs bitching about SDR, that it's nothing more than cheap toys, while praising the newest product costing 2k based on same technology.
Don't have to mention people buying blue alps or beamers for ridiculous prices am I? :lol:

In other words, no matter where you look. You can always find young and naive, and adult "boys".
One is more embarassing than the other to be honest.
I wouldn't call it a generational conflict at all. I know plenty of people in this hobby younger than 30 who can't stand "keebs", artisans, etc. I'd describe it much more as a matter of taste, as I don't think a keyboard with 30 artisans on it is good taste. I like practicality and that's exactly what (most of) my keyboards are.

samuelcable

13 Apr 2018, 15:03

Laser wrote: I wish you were right, but I very much doubt that they "experiment" and "have fun in the process". It's rather more like just copying what is deemed as "cool" by commercials and colleagues who already brainwashed themselves, in order to integrate, to fit amongst the others. If you want to see experiments, hop to the "workshop" subforum.
a lot of younger people are looking for some kind of status to fit in, which may lead them to forcing themselves to enjoy something they don't because their friends or people online say its good, which is honestly pretty sad

purdobol

13 Apr 2018, 17:14

Blaise170 wrote: I'd describe it much more as a matter of taste, as I don't think a keyboard with 30 artisans on it is good taste. I like practicality and that's exactly what (most of) my keyboards are.
Sure I understand that. The thing is. I don't see the picture painted here (by some) of young people flooding their boards with artisans. Quite the opposite really. The common theme seems to be 60% with minimal case design. Bright colours and mandatory rgb lighting. And comparing keebs to shoes apparently... browsing reddit right now :lol:

just_add_coffee

13 Apr 2018, 17:17

You guys will probably hate this ...

Probably not a lot of love from you all for this either ...

... or this (same keyboard, different plates and keyset) ...

A lot of you all will probably start yelling for a Downvote button here ...

And someone is going to lose their mind over this ...
:evilgeek:

Dingster

13 Apr 2018, 17:33

just_add_coffee wrote: You guys will probably hate this ...

Probably not a lot of love from you all for this either ...

... or this (same keyboard, different plates and keyset) ...

A lot of you all will probably start yelling for a Downvote button here ...

And someone is going to lose their mind over this ...
Any info on that 1st one :o
Are those nixie light indicators holy fk...

hansichen

13 Apr 2018, 17:35

Those boards are reason enough to learn touch typing

digital_matthew

13 Apr 2018, 17:38

Vacuum tubes on anything equals totally awesome looking.

just_add_coffee

13 Apr 2018, 17:44

Dingster wrote: Any info on that 1st one :o
Are those nixie light indicators holy fk...
Here's what it looked like at the beginning ...

I removed the PCB and the Cherry MX black switches, handwired it, put in Kailh Box Navy switches, and installed an Xwhatsit. And those are just vacuum tubes with amber LEDs underneath. I wanted something that looked appropriate and fun with the SA 1965 keyset, which didn't come with an ISO Enter and spacebar that would fit the stabilizers.

just_add_coffee

13 Apr 2018, 17:46

digital_matthew wrote: Vacuum tubes on anything equals totally awesome looking.
AMEN! :D

Aer Fixus

13 Apr 2018, 17:58

If you had put blue LEDs under the vacuum tubes, then I'd be absolutely repulsed :P

Those tubes gives me an idea: Nixie tubes that light up "°C" "n" and "S" (for caps, num and scroll lock respectively. Of course limited by the available symbols in Nixies).

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

13 Apr 2018, 17:58

Honestly it's not that bad. I wouldn't like the giant lights on it myself but at least it has a consistent theme (e.g. steampunk).
just_add_coffee wrote: Probably not a lot of love from you all for this either ...
Again it's not that bad. I actually kind of like it.
just_add_coffee wrote: ... or this (same keyboard, different plates and keyset) ...
Terrible choice of color scheme (orange, cyan, and red do not match) but otherwise not that bad.
just_add_coffee wrote: A lot of you all will probably start yelling for a Downvote button here ...
I don't understand backlighting with non-backlit caps, but okay.
just_add_coffee wrote: And someone is going to lose their mind over this ...
I find it of poor taste but at least the colors match and the paint was done well.

wobbled

13 Apr 2018, 18:20

Wow I actually use those keycaps on my HHKB, i think they are awesome

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Apr 2018, 18:28

just_add_coffee wrote: […] Here's what it looked like at the beginning ...
Image […]
Do you still have the caps?
At least they could be given a decent final resting :mrgreen:

Findecanor

13 Apr 2018, 18:28

It looks like someone forgot to tear off the protective plastic sheets before assembling the keyboard ... :lol:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

13 Apr 2018, 18:35

That one would actually look really interesting with UV LEDs. :o

just_add_coffee

13 Apr 2018, 18:45

kbdfr wrote: Do you still have the caps?
At least they could be given a decent final resting :mrgreen:
I have 'em. Still using the Spacebar. But if you want them, they're yours for the cost of shipping.

fohat
Elder Messenger

13 Apr 2018, 18:47

Was that a metal space bar on that blue Model M?

just_add_coffee

13 Apr 2018, 18:55

Blaise170 wrote: Terrible choice of color scheme (orange, cyan, and red do not match) but otherwise not that bad.
You're right, though the top plate is more pinkish in real life than it photographs. Probably not much of an improvement to you however.

So how about red chrome?

just_add_coffee

13 Apr 2018, 18:57

fohat wrote: Was that a metal space bar on that blue Model M?
No. It was an experiment in vinyl wrapping keys.

Return to “Keyboards”