SKB75 / SKB65 / SKB60 - GB CONCLUDED

Franzl

11 Apr 2018, 19:01

PlastikSchnittstelle wrote:
Franzl wrote: I ordered 2 cases yesterday (60% standard plate a and 75%). Is is possible to get an additional 60% standard plate b, so i get 2 cases and 3 plates at all?

Edit: I also got no confirmation mail.
when I have I will add it to the form. until then you can just write it as comment in the form. will not be forgotten.
as i wrote, i ordered already.
can you change my order and add an extra "60% standard plate b" to the comment? if not possible, please cancel the actual order and i will make a new one.

thank you :)

btw.: you should add the info about sepa and the extra plates to the first post.

PlastikSchnittstelle

11 Apr 2018, 21:40

IchiBalzac wrote: What do you think the chances are of a plate option for mounting an XD75RE into one of these? With the hot-swap sockets it is hard to get a good fit in a regular 60% case but in this being top mount, I think it would be perfect! I'd be in for 2 if there was a plate for us ortho users.
you mean this one? WOW, an ortho user you are?! my respect to you!

well, obviously that wont work. plate A nor B for SKB60 are ortho. if you just mean any 60% pcb with hot swap sockets: depends on how thick those sockets are. at the lowest 6degree angle they would certainly hit the bottom, so it won't work, higher angles should be good, but I can't confirm that.
personally I'm not a big fan of hot-swap sockets. I like to properly solder my boards, if I want other switches, then I build a new one :)

looks like there are just some chinese tray-mounts available for this ortho XD75RE - thats saad. the only offer I can make you is the following: if you finde at least 10 others then I will make you an ortho plate that you can use instead of the standard one. I just can't make less then 10 of one piece, would be way too expensive.

IchiBalzac

11 Apr 2018, 22:12

I agree on the the hot swap being kind of lame - I solder most of my boards as well. The only reason I ask is there are quite a few people using them and they don't like to play well with most 60% cases - they work but you have to use risers and it brings the whole assembly up higher than it should sit. There is also a non hot swap version of the board but I don't think it was as popular.

I'll make this deal with you - add it to your list of plate options. I'll help you advertise the board as an option for XD75RE users. If you don't sell at least 10, I'll buy however many are missing to make it 10. Only have to sell 8 more because I plan on buying 2 for myself.

PlastikSchnittstelle

11 Apr 2018, 22:29

IchiBalzac wrote: I agree on the the hot swap being kind of lame - I solder most of my boards as well. The only reason I ask is there are quite a few people using them and they don't like to play well with most 60% cases - they work but you have to use risers and it brings the whole assembly up higher than it should sit. There is also a non hot swap version of the board but I don't think it was as popular.

I'll make this deal with you - add it to your list of plate options. I'll help you advertise the board as an option for XD75RE users. If you don't sell at least 10, I'll buy however many are missing to make it 10. Only have to sell 8 more because I plan on buying 2 for myself.
i would call this a deal, but give me time till tomorrow. it is late here and i have to check the calculation again tomorrow when i'm not tired, but it should be good. then I'll also update the form tomorrow. cause there seem to be only these cheap chinese cases for ortho this might find more then 10 easily.
there is also this non-swappable version btw, but i think you know already.

also regarding the swap-sockets. you can always get shorter standoffs for my SKB case. now the plate is hold by 5mm standoffs wich makes the caps sink in by 2mm. you can just use 4mm standoffs instead or even 3mm and you would certainly have no trouble with swap-socket-PCBs at any angle.

blighty

11 Apr 2018, 22:51

Popping out of lurker status to say thanks for running this! Until I saw this buy pop up, I had no idea that kbdfans new 75% PCB had a split space option. Hopefully I'm able to decide exactly what layout I want before this ships. Given the 3 or 4 month lead time, I have faith. :)

IchiBalzac

12 Apr 2018, 01:11

Ok I'll wait to hear back from you about the additional plate before I start pushing it to other potential customers. You're right though, there are really only 3 cases designed for that board and none of them are great. The best we have is this one which works but isn't end game by any means.

This board is basically a Preonic with 3 extra columns - I don't use them much but it lets me spread my hands like a split while keeping it all together in a 60% layout. There aren't a lot of great cases for split boards either so if I want ortho + end game, a case like yours is just what the doctor ordered.

rominronin

12 Apr 2018, 04:29

blighty wrote:Popping out of lurker status to say thanks for running this! Until I saw this buy pop up, I had no idea that kbdfans new 75% PCB had a split space option. Hopefully I'm able to decide exactly what layout I want before this ships. Given the 3 or 4 month lead time, I have faith. :)
I too am interested in a split+space 75% option. Does the plate support that?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

kokokoy

12 Apr 2018, 05:08

In for a 75%.

blighty

12 Apr 2018, 07:18

rominronin wrote:
blighty wrote:Popping out of lurker status to say thanks for running this! Until I saw this buy pop up, I had no idea that kbdfans new 75% PCB had a split space option. Hopefully I'm able to decide exactly what layout I want before this ships. Given the 3 or 4 month lead time, I have faith. :)
I too am interested in a split+space 75% option. Does the plate support that?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
(taken from the OP)

I normally like 1.5 mods, but I might settle for 1.25u just to have the split spacebar.

PlastikSchnittstelle

13 Apr 2018, 03:27

sorry for not keeping you updated today. I did a third build today, took some time. pictures tomorrow. I also didn't forget the typingdemo, just wanted to wait till i have another build.

regarding 75% split spacebar: yes, like shown in the plate/layout picture.
after I realized that KBDfans made a second version with split support I updated the plate to make that possible as well. now all three plates do support split spacebar in some way.

will add the ortho option to the start post and form over the weekend (need to make renderings for this).

we are at exactly 60 orders at the moment.

IchiBalzac

13 Apr 2018, 04:19

Awesome dude, once the form is updated I'll place 2 orders and then start hawking your board on r/mm and all over Discord, if thats OK with you. I'm happy to help as I would like to see another board with this sort of ortho support - there are a lot of ortho users that would love some great cases but just don't have many options.

PlastikSchnittstelle

13 Apr 2018, 15:32

PlastikSchnittstelle

14 Apr 2018, 19:41

Finally the typing demonstration. Why did it take me so long to do that? Three reasons tbo:
a) I'm super slow at typing, not nice for a typing demo video I thought.
b) I don't have nice hands and fingers :(
c) My office room has blank concrete floor and ceiling and a lot of windows/glas, which makes it a suboptimal soundstage for this.

That's why I had hoped to finde someone else and another location. I got that opportunity yesterday at a small meetup. But I totally screwed up, accidentally I didn't record the typing but instead in between the few typing tries. Was also wrong orientation and chatting in the back. Only realized this today.

So now you do get my slow typing, ugly hands and the suboptimal soundstage, here is the youtube video.

Board with RGB-mods:
- Gateron blacks, lubed
- EnjoyPBT keycaps
- angle at 10 degree

Board with HHKB layout:
- Cherry MX silent blacks, lubed
- old cherry HAD keycaps with HADapter
- angle at 12 degree

depletedvespene

15 Apr 2018, 19:29

As "suboptimal" as it might be, I enjoyed this video. I'm getting more and more tempted to participate in this GB.

PlastikSchnittstelle

15 Apr 2018, 20:58

added the ortholinear option to the form. If you have placed your order already but want the ortholinear plate instead or added, then please PM me. I will update this information in the start post soon and bring ortholinear renders as well.

PlastikSchnittstelle

15 Apr 2018, 21:00

also new, if you want a YAS version and don't have a PCB from the GB or the extra sale jet, then you might get a chance to get it combined with the SKB. If at least 10 want it, silentreader will send me the PCBs and I will bundle it for you. less then 10 wouldn't make sense, in that case you can still get the PCB directly from silentreader.

PM me if you would like to get the YAS PCB with the SKB combined from m

depletedvespene

15 Apr 2018, 21:03

Quick question: IF PlastikSchnittstelle decides to make a plate for an ortholinear layout on this GB, which PCB (60%, 15×5, etc.) would be the best suited for this case?

EDIT: strikethrough. :-D
Last edited by depletedvespene on 15 Apr 2018, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

PlastikSchnittstelle

15 Apr 2018, 21:08

depletedvespene wrote: Quick question: IF PlastikSchnittstelle decides to make a plate for an ortholinear layout on this GB, which PCB (60%, 15×5, etc.) would be the best suited for this case?
I just updated the section "PCBs, plates and layouts", there you can now find the ortholinear plate, as well as a link to a PCB.

ortholinear option now available in the form now.

PlastikSchnittstelle

15 Apr 2018, 21:09

here are new pictures. outdoor lighting helps to get much nicer pictures, i think :)

SKB outdoors

FSund

16 Apr 2018, 13:05

PlastikSchnittstelle wrote: also regarding the swap-sockets. you can always get shorter standoffs for my SKB case. now the plate is hold by 5mm standoffs wich makes the caps sink in by 2mm. you can just use 4mm standoffs instead or even 3mm and you would certainly have no trouble with swap-socket-PCBs at any angle.
I haven't really studied the construction of the case, but is it possible to use even longer standoffs, to get the keycaps/switches to sink even deeper into the case? That could look interesting, at least with taller keycaps like SA.

PlastikSchnittstelle

16 Apr 2018, 13:19

FSund wrote: I haven't really studied the construction of the case, but is it possible to use even longer standoffs, to get the keycaps/switches to sink even deeper into the case? That could look interesting, at least with taller keycaps like SA.
the caps already sink in deeper compared to most other "high-profile" cases. 2mm. theoretically what you suggest would be possible but if you lower the plate even more (by using longer standoffs) the pcb will touch the bottom of the case. there is some clearance but minimal (at the lowes 6 degree angle). let's assume you use the case at a higher angle, then you get more clearance therefore could let the plate sink in more. then i guess you could use 6mm standoffs which would make your caps sink in 3mm.

I'm excited to see results of "mods" like this :idea:

nuclear_wizard

16 Apr 2018, 21:33

In for a YAS one (hopefully there are still PCBs left to buy...). This is an incredibly sexy board.

PlastikSchnittstelle

16 Apr 2018, 21:54

nuclear_wizard wrote: In for a YAS one (hopefully there are still PCBs left to buy...). This is an incredibly sexy board.
yes, there are. if enough want to get the skb-yas together with the pcb, then i will get them sent to me and forward them as combo. but there have to be a few request at least. please PM silentreader over at GH and let him know you want the combo shipping.

nuclear_wizard

16 Apr 2018, 22:15

Oh, does the YAS ship from EU as well? If that's the case, then yeah, I'll message him to let him know so I can save on shipping.

PlastikSchnittstelle

16 Apr 2018, 22:35

nuclear_wizard wrote: Oh, does the YAS ship from EU as well? If that's the case, then yeah, I'll message him to let him know so I can save on shipping.
exactly, silentreader and me want to offer this. wrote it here.

PlastikSchnittstelle

17 Apr 2018, 21:59

UPDATE regarding YAS PCB:

sorry for the back and forth regarding the YAS PCB. We now decided that I will get a shipment of YAS PCBs so all who want the SKB60-YAS but don't have a YAS-PCB jet can get it from me together. The price is 37 Euro for one YAS-PCB.

I added the option to the order form.

If you have filled out the form already and want the PCB as well, please PM me and I will delete your order so you can fill out the form again and add the PCB this time.

Franzl

17 Apr 2018, 23:19

Franzl wrote:
PlastikSchnittstelle wrote:
Franzl wrote: I ordered 2 cases yesterday (60% standard plate a and 75%). Is is possible to get an additional 60% standard plate b, so i get 2 cases and 3 plates at all?

Edit: I also got no confirmation mail.
when I have I will add it to the form. until then you can just write it as comment in the form. will not be forgotten.
as i wrote, i ordered already.
can you change my order and add an extra "60% standard plate b" to the comment? if not possible, please cancel the actual order and i will make a new one.

thank you :)

btw.: you should add the info about sepa and the extra plates to the first post.
@PlastikSchnittstelle
I don't want to bother you, but did you add the extra plate to my order?

PlastikSchnittstelle

17 Apr 2018, 23:25

Franzl wrote: @PlastikSchnittstelle
I don't want to bother you, but did you add the extra plate to my order?
no problem!
it is easier for me if you just fill out the form again. i just deleted your form submission so you can do it again, this time with the extra plate, thanks!

snoopy

23 Apr 2018, 11:03

Just ordered one. Looking forward to it.

(and free bump for this great project)

LightningXI

26 Apr 2018, 00:43

I wish I could enter this, but the timing doesn't work out for me for the order period, unfortunately. Perhaps I will see and try it at a meetup, or have someone pass a sample/case through a build commission with me.

It looks and sounds great. I wish you luck and success in the group-buy, PlastikSchnittstelle!

Return to “Group buys”