Post your keyboard/keycaps!

shreebles
Finally 60%

28 Mar 2018, 10:46

hansichen wrote: For now I'll use the board to test 60% layouts so that I'm prepared for the case by Plastikschnittstelle. In future this board may purpose as a travel board. The silent blacks are really smooth and they are even more silent than expected, a perfect board for open workspaces.
I've used nothing but silent reds for the last 4 months. I haven't been active in any keyboard community.
They are great if you want an install-and-forget Switch, and (since I travel a lot) it's so quiet that it's the first keyboard I can actually use anywhere without attracting too much attention. If I could choose only one switch forever, it would be this one.

And they are great if you want to give yourself (and your wallet) a break from the hobby. You become allergic to clacking. Other mechs need not apply. Most Topres are louder.
DSC_16942.jpg
DSC_16942.jpg (624.25 KiB) Viewed 8153 times

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Mar 2018, 11:04

Your left Alt seems broken. ;)

shreebles
Finally 60%

28 Mar 2018, 11:08

ramnes wrote: Your left Alt seems broken. ;)
It's intentionally broken.
If you consider this broken, consider the shape of the human thumb broken. :D

(or, has others have already realized, regular keyboard design does not follow human ergonomics)

hansichen

28 Mar 2018, 11:41

shreebles wrote:
hansichen wrote: Most Topres are louder.
I didn't expect that but I have to agree. My unsilenced realforce is louder and the silenced one is probably around the same, the only "issue" on mx boards is the sound of the space bar and other stabilized keys but with some modification those keys are very silent too.

shreebles
Finally 60%

28 Mar 2018, 12:14

hansichen wrote: [...]the only "issue" on mx boards is the sound of the space bar and other stabilized keys but with some modification those keys are very silent too.
See the little translucent plastic bit under the space bar? That's a QMX Clip, designed to make PCB-mounted switches silent. It's far less amazing than the MX silent switches but both can be combined to make a rather quiet space bar (since the space bar is the only PCB-mounted switch on this keyboard)
As for the stabilizers, the metal bars should be lubed where they clip into the plastic, use a thick lube to eliminate rattle.

thokir

28 Mar 2018, 12:40

shreebles wrote: See the little translucent plastic bit under the space bar? That's a QMX Clip, designed to make PCB-mounted switches silent. It's far less amazing than the MX silent switches but both can be combined to make a rather quiet space bar (since the space bar is the only PCB-mounted switch on this keyboard)
As for the stabilizers, the metal bars should be lubed where they clip into the plastic, use a thick lube to eliminate rattle.
How does a qmx clip make a silent switch even more silent? I mean, basically the silent switches should be silent and dampened, the only thing I could imagine the qmx clip does in addition is reducing the wobble a little bit.

On my kbd75 with silent blacks and strongly greaded stabs there is no way to get anything (beside of the little scratchy sound of the switches) quieter... pcb mounted stabs, plate mounted switches. My planck with plate mount blacks and qmx clips is very loud when comparing them next to each other :)

hansichen

28 Mar 2018, 12:43

A qmx clip should reduce the travel so you can't really bottom out those switches. So maybe you don't push the stab all the way down with qmx clips and therefore the sound of the stab is reduced. On the switch itself it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

thokir

28 Mar 2018, 12:49

hansichen wrote: A qmx clip should reduce the travel so you can't really bottom out those switches. So maybe you don't push the stab all the way down with qmx clips and therefore the sound of the stab is reduced. On the switch itself it shouldn't make that much of a difference.
Hmm, good point. Though I didn't notice my stabs being loudest on bottom out... I guess I have to try the qmx clip on my g80 later. The stabs can be heard like 3 rooms away currently.

shreebles
Finally 60%

28 Mar 2018, 12:54

I cannot say why, as I am unfortunately no longer very interested in keyboard science due to a lack of time.
But I can say that I compared the sound of my silent red space bar with and without the clip and found the sound more pleasant with the clip.

davkol

28 Mar 2018, 14:09

hansichen wrote: A qmx clip should reduce the travel so you can't really bottom out those switches. So maybe you don't push the stab all the way down with qmx clips and therefore the sound of the stab is reduced. On the switch itself it shouldn't make that much of a difference.
The clip reduces travel and dampens bottoming out only with Cherry keycaps or other caps that have a noticeable crossbar. It doesn't do anything with tall keycaps without such a crossbar, e.g., SA.

It's kind of like o-rings on keycaps and unlike internal switch dampeners (a "trampoline" ball under the stem or a cushion on the stem).

It does, however, always dampen the upstroke.

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

29 Mar 2018, 12:28

Desktop upgrade:
From
Spoiler:
Cherry:
To Siemens:

Khers

31 Mar 2018, 19:47

Easter meant some time to build this thing that arrived earlier this week:

Laser
emacs -nw

31 Mar 2018, 23:24

Latest build, Tada68 with Aliaz switches 60g (silent, tactile) and Dasher SA keycaps.
tada68_01.jpg
tada68_01.jpg (252.68 KiB) Viewed 7905 times
tada68_02.jpg
tada68_02.jpg (275.45 KiB) Viewed 7905 times
tada68_03.jpg
tada68_03.jpg (262.58 KiB) Viewed 7905 times

zslane

01 Apr 2018, 01:10

That looks hot!

I'm really curious what typing on it sounds like.

Laser
emacs -nw

01 Apr 2018, 13:14

It doesn't sound like ... much, i.e. the keys are pretty silent, and all you can hear is some kind of hhhhrrrrffffffffffrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhrrrrr punctuated by the sound of the spacebar (which is somewhat louder due to the stabilizers), or, rarely, by those of the other stabilized keys (left shift, enter etc.).

Khers

05 Apr 2018, 20:05

One layout to rule them all

Love grows where my function key goes

Etcetera

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Apr 2018, 17:36

Wingnut @ Varmilo VA69M:
IMGP7909.JPG
IMGP7909.JPG (939.04 KiB) Viewed 7624 times
IMGP7913.JPG
IMGP7913.JPG (769.98 KiB) Viewed 7624 times

chzel

16 Apr 2018, 17:43

Look who's showing off! First one is nice! What's that under the keyboard?

seebart

16 Apr 2018, 17:49

chzel wrote: Look who's showing off! First one is nice!
Thanks, sure why not it's not like I've been posting anything.
chzel wrote: What's that under the keyboard?
I set the Varmilo on my Ducky acrilic wrist rest because I like the height better. The MX reds are nice in that metal case!

seebart

18 Apr 2018, 12:23

Enjoying my XT...
IMGP7915.JPG
IMGP7915.JPG (943.63 KiB) Viewed 7537 times

pr0ximity

18 Apr 2018, 12:48

Quite like this one, enjoyPBT Cyrillic and the artisan that came with Hammer's GMK Red Alert set, snow day in the background:

Flickr

seebart

18 Apr 2018, 12:52

pr0ximity wrote: Quite like this one, enjoyPBT Cyrillic and the artisan that came with Hammer's GMK Red Alert set, snow day in the background:
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

18 Apr 2018, 16:38

pr0ximity wrote: Quite like this one, enjoyPBT Cyrillic and the artisan that came with Hammer's GMK Red Alert set, snow day in the background:

Flickr
I dont know why... but I just cant get on with the legends on the mods that epbt uses. The rest of the set looks nice, but the mods totally kill it for me.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

18 Apr 2018, 18:18

Mountain Dew Escapism (Alps). Unfortunately the stem snapped a couple of years ago so I'll have to try and repair it with another stem at some point.

seebart

18 Apr 2018, 18:22

Oh nice, I own a Matias mini tactile pro also. Havn't used it in along time though.

enrique.aliaga

19 Apr 2018, 00:12

My beloved HHKB with some KBDFans blanks for the “arrow keys”. This is the board I currently use at work (I’m constantly switching).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pr0ximity

19 Apr 2018, 03:00

mike52787 wrote:

Flickr
I dont know why... but I just cant get on with the legends on the mods that epbt uses. The rest of the set looks nice, but the mods totally kill it for me.
Really? Never heard that before. They're the same (or extremely similar) to original Cherry legends. I quite like them for that reason.

cookie

19 Apr 2018, 17:30

enrique.aliaga wrote: Image

My beloved HHKB with some KBDFans blanks for the “arrow keys”. This is the board I currently use at work (I’m constantly switching).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are the KDBFans blanks compared to the original ones?
I am totally into the arcade font set, seems they will release mods for it soon.

enrique.aliaga

19 Apr 2018, 17:44

They are slightly more textured. I like that, though.

Also, they produce a significantly louder sound as compared with the stock caps. I don't really know why this is, since the KBDFans caps appear to be the exact same thickness as stock.

Beware with the spacebar, though. My KBDFans spacebars feel mushy, that's why I had no other choice but to keep using the stock ABS one that you see in the picture, which doesn't have this undesirable trait.

Any idea of what to do to make it feel right?

In conclusion, I really like these keycaps, except for the spacebar.

Iggy

19 Apr 2018, 18:11

photo_9.jpg
photo_9.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 7407 times
My RealForce RGB.

Return to “Gallery”