Wiki passwords

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

17 Apr 2018, 20:32

Have no idea what's wrong with the wiki, but it literally forgets my new password every time I log out. I have to reset my password and log in with temporary, change it to a new password, and then I can log in. Obviously this is pretty annoying to have to change my password every single time I log in. Are there some kind of password restrictions that are automatically parsing my password and changing it?

For example, if I enter IUHTIR&B^r735(B(Wbjkdbja*( as a password, it will accept it and then no longer work once I log out.

ScottPaladin

17 Apr 2018, 20:46

I had some trouble with the wiki password system recently. After some troubleshooting, my working theory is that it chokes on large numbers of symbols and won't accept them. Try just upper/lower/numbers and see if that does it.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Apr 2018, 20:49

I recently got this bug report from someone with a similar problem of not working passwords:
I think it's choking on either some combination of special characters or just the number of them (my QA instincts got tired before I narrowed it down). I've set it to a private password that works for both now, but here's some examples:

hFJSWA8uWxSurBjFVtdM8d <<Works!
hFJSWA8uWxSurBjFVtd^^^& << Doesn't Work
1Vtd^^^& << Doesn't Work

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe media wiki's not escaping stuff properly.
I haven't looked into it yet. Does ^ break it?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

17 Apr 2018, 20:53

Well I actually tried a 20 character alphanumeric with no special characters and it did not work that way either. I don't really feel like continuously trying passwords but unless there is a character limit (less than 12 for example) then there is no reason my 20 character alphanumeric shouldn't have worked.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Apr 2018, 12:01

I've taken a look, it's not related to password length. It's probably related to the extensions' password hashing here, where it does evil things:
https://github.com/Digitalroot/MediaWik ... rdHash.php

I tried another plugin:
https://github.com/multidimension-al/phpbbauth

Which just uses the phpBB login session and doesn't require separate login, and it also fixes the problem of incompatible user names. However, it is not compatible with our outdated branch of phpBB.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

20 Apr 2018, 14:55

What would be the downsides of upgrading it? I'm not that familiar with the software so I expect there to be some changes but it would be great to only require one login in both places.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Apr 2018, 15:45

We'd need to redo or get rid of some mods.

http://staging.deskthority.org/

Username: dtstaging
Password: InigoMontoya

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

20 Apr 2018, 16:15

Hm that's an interesting look. Well you are our benevolent dictator so I suppose that you have a good idea of what should be done in this situation. :P

chuckdee

20 Apr 2018, 18:15

I never realized that there were that many mods on DT :o :shock:

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Apr 2018, 19:38

Yeah we should update some time, matt3o is running this, but the problem is it means work, and the technical committee ran off.
deskthority-f17/a-new-forum-software-fo ... 15780.html

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

20 Apr 2018, 19:46

Hm I could help as much as I can. I'm not the best programmer in the world but I think I should be able to handle some of the smaller things... But perhaps this should go into that thread?

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”