Pyrelink's State of the Collection - 2018

pyrelink

22 Apr 2018, 03:40

Hello again Deskthority, long time no speak. It has been a good ~2 years since I have truly been active in the community or even thought about keyboards further than the fact that I was still constantly typing on one. I guess as life gets busier you get less time for hobbies and eventually the passion wanes.

About a week ago or so I open up the mailbox to find a 7bot package containing a single 4 piece kit from Round5/HoneyB that I guess I ordered ages ago. This of course led me to check out the site and see whats up. A lot has certainly changed, a lot of missing faces avatars, and a whole lot of new ones too. Prices on things seem to have skyrocketed (for better or for worse I suppose) and the /r/MK subreddit appears to have grown to previously unimaginable levels of insufferable-ness. Can anyone tell me if I am suffering from a serious stroke or is "keeb" being used without irony?

Anyway I went into the depths of the basement to put my newly delivered Round5 kit into the large bag filled with smaller bags filled with an insane amount of unused Round 5. I realized that even after getting rid of a lot of keyboard stuff a year ago, I still have a massive amount of crap treasure in boxes. Initially my plan was to take pictures of everything I had and throw it all up on the marketplace and see if I could get anything moved on to a better home. Instead I had a mini anxiety attack at the thought of having to deal with selling all this crap via a forum with packaging, pricing, intl. shipping, drama and paypal nonsense.

Seeing all of the unfinished projects I left down there to wallow in the basement, and the free time I should have this summer as the semester ends has kind of invigorated me to finish some of them. To not waste the hours I spent taking super crappy iPhone photos of everything, I will post them all here in effort to see what projects might be of interest to you guys. This also has the side benefit of creating some accountability so maybe I actually finish something for once :lol:

If anything here really strikes your fancy I suppose you can send me a PM. Just note that this is the current state of my collection so there is a large chunk of things here that I am not interested in selling.

Again second apology for these being bad iPhone photos uploaded and compressed poorly on Imgur. The initial intent was of course a simple marketplace post, and I have 0 interest in wrangling 54 images through the Deskthority attachment manager 8-)

Keyboards
Spoiler:
Clare-Pendar Keyboard Assembly

This is the keyboard that started it all. I posted it to Reddit after finding it in my basement. It lead to some very kind and helpful PMs and comments from HaaTa, and Parak. This eventually lead me to join Deskthority and share the teardown here.. Apparently this helped solve a long standing Clare-Pendar switch identification mystery for HaaTa, so I make sure to mention that to all prospective employers now. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honeywell Microswitch Assembly

Another original, that I made a nice write up about here. By far the oldest keyboard in my collection, and a very cool board. Seebart also managed to find a board with this early style of Microswitch, which is in much nicer condition, you can see that in the linked thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CoolerMaster Storm Quickfire XT

This was my first modern mechanical keyboard purchase. Cherry MX Reds are the switch here, bought primarily with gaming in mind. Pretty sure this is the only backlit keyboard that I own, and the layout is certainly interesting.. I don't use this much anymore but CoolerMaster is still the best mainstream board manufacturer imo.

Modded CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid

This was the second keyboard I purchased. It came with Cherry MX Blues, but I immediately swapped them to a set of lubed, stickered (adds 5 horsepower), 62g Ergo-Clears. I also painted the case that wonderful blue color. I managed to produce a guide for making Ergo-Clears and an in-depth guide to case painting. The paint has gotten a little chipped and could use a repaint, and the switches are due to be relubed, but I am still very proud of this board. I use it pretty frequently as Ergo-Clears are still probably my favorite variation of Cherry MX. The keyset I keep on it is a set of DSA Dolch from the first run by SP.

Leopold FC200RT

The FC200RT is a nice keyboard, minus the annoying bottom row keysizes and the fact that it has MX Browns. Has a great build quality. If I really cared about Cherry switches at this point it might be nice to swap in some MX Black, or a set of Blues to at least make the board usable, but I couldn't be bothered at this point. This has a blank black PBT keyset by BSP on it.

Apple Extended Keyboard II

The order is now all hazy so order be damned. I bought this from XMIT for the keycaps, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Cream Alps. I might do something with this board some day, but probably not.

Osborne One Keyboard

This is the keyboard from the Osborne 1 "portable" computer. I did a full tear-down and write up of this keyboard. It uses Oak FTM switches. I keep it attached to the rest of the computer.

'87 SSK 1391472

What a beaut! I managed to snag this off of a Shopgoodwill.com auction for only $80 way back when. This board is missing a few rivets, but not enough to get me to bolt mod it. Otherwise in very good condition. It has one piece XT alphas on it currently. The label is currently stuck to a sheet of wax paper, as I didn't want to mess it up when I cleaned up the case. Still haven't gotten around to putting it back on. What more can I say about the SSK? It's great, however I really don't find myself using it that much. Capacitive Buckling Spring has spoiled me to the point that I really am not a huge fan of typing on a membrane style Model M.

Cherry G84 PCB?

Didn't know where else to put this. I think its a G84 NOS PCB. I bought it for pretty cheap on geekhack I think.

Milspec Futaba Keyboard

This keyboard was bought from the Interesting Finds thread here, for only $17 shipped! What is not to like? A massive bomb proof connector on the back, a keyboard lightbulb, and GRI Futaba Complicated Linears inside. Learn all about it here.

Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2

Clearly saving the best for last here. This is on my desk 90% of the time (what I am typing this post on). This HHKB features lubed sliders and stabilizers, a dampening mat in the case, and most importantly a full set of Hypersphere O-Rings! I am proud to say that I bought one of, if not the first set of rings Hypersphere put up on eBay. These are still one of my favorite projects that I have seen on the site. Hypersphere did some insane R&D magic and produced a product that all but obsoletes the HHKB-S. Great work. One of my favorite keyboards.

Blue Alps 60%

I have a full build log for this keyboard here. Blue alps are really great switches, and it makes for a really nice little keyboard to type on. I think there is definitely way more hype surrounding blue alps than needed, but can you really blame someone when their only metric to compare against is some sort of clicky kailh trash? This keyboard often gets long stints on the desk after I decide to rotate out the HHKB. Looking forward to building a second alps 60%. This keyboard has the Alpine Winter keyset, and Badwrench modifiers.

4704 107 Key Model F

First of all big thanks to Cindy, Fohat, Xwhatsit, XMIT and everyone who helped out in the threads for this one. You can see the entire build and restoration process here on Deskthority or here on Geekhack. This keyboard was a blast to restore, and I am super happy with the results. I bought the keyboard from one of Cindy's epic finds, got a new controller from XWhatsit, restored it, and then shipped the case off to XMIT who got them powdercoated locally in glossy RAL 7030 Industrial Grey. This keyboard can be a little too heavy and bulky to keep on the desk often, but it is just a joy to type on. If anyone has a spare "numpad +" IBM key please send me a message!
Projects
Spoiler:
Apple M0110 Hand Wire

I bought this for about $30 off ebay about 4 years ago in very good condition. As Matt3o once said:
matt3o wrote: sooner or later everyone does a M0110 :)
and I think its finally my time. Especially since Lowpoly graciously gave me 3 free replacement switches in exchange for a link to the completed refurb! Luckily I have only been keeping him waiting 3 years or so. I already have the plate desoldered, and diodes ordered. This should be the first project done.

i$ FSSK

Back when i$ finished his initial design for the FSSK, I made sure to jump at the chance for a PCB since having a Model F in an SSK shell is not something you can just pass up. Very soon after I received it Lot_Lizard blew up the scene with his Model MF Project and so my FSSK PCB just sat while I eagerly awaited my Model MF kit to swap into my spare SSK. Since that seems to be on extended hiatus for now, I would really like to finally put my FSSK together. I have an SSK in pieces, brand new barrel plate from Unicomp, I just need to read a bunch of the bolt mod tutorials here, and order some screws. I guess I also need a new Xwhatsit board as well. This one will be fun but should take some time.

Ultimate Soarer's Converter Box

I have this great little electronics box, and a Teensy that I think would make for the perfect multi-connector soarers converter. Just need to order all of the female connectors.

Ultrasonic Green Alps Cleaning

I have about ~110? Green Alps that came from a very grimy board I bought from XMIT. These will probably be used for the following project, but they are just too scratchy in their current state to be used. Thus I am in the market for a ~$100 ultrasonic cleaner that can restore these back to new!

Hasu 60% Alps Kit

I bought this kit in the Blue Nalgene group buy that happened a little while after I built my first 60% alps board. I will probably use the previous Green SKCL Alps in this board. The plate that I have is in an AT101W layout however, and I am really not crazy about it. I would much prefer a HHKB layout plate, so if anyone has one or has the cad files for a HHKB alps mount plate that supports costar stabs, please let me know!

IBM XT Restoration

The ole' classic. I originally bought this board to salvage the barrels, springs, and keycaps, to use in a Model MF. Thinking further about it, salvage is not what this board deserves, even if the layout really isn't great. I already have all the tools, and a crap ton of neoprene 1/16" foam, so this just feels like the right thing to do.
Keycaps/Keysets
Spoiler:
Round 5/Round5B

The real tragic thing about Round5 is that I ordered way too much in the first place, and by the time it all finally got delivered I was almost entirely over Cherry MX switches :lol: I think I tried out the set for like 15 minutes and wasn't a fan of SA on tactile MX and dumped it all back in the bags. It's also a bummer as I have quite a fondness for Honey Spherical Extras, that are meant to go with this set. I don't think I want to piece meal the set out, but if anyone is truly interested I might be convinced to part with them, but don't get too excited.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honey Spherical Extras+Assorted Random

Honey Spherical Extras was championed by none other than Facetsesame. This was a small group buy in the grand scale of things, but it launched on the PimpMyKeyboard group buy platform (does that still exist?) and I got to contribute from start to finish. We had a bit of trouble selling all the kits, and I am sure Facetsesame wound up buying quite a few extra kits to ensure we hit MOQs. Eitherway I love the duck keys and the hashbangs. The other keys are just misc crap that I don't think I have ever put on a keyboard ever :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GMK CMYW

This is the set from the CMYW GMK Groupbuy. I also have a couple GMK Escape keys and a GMK 6.25 spacebar.

Lion Keyng

(Has this appreciated to astronomical prices yet???)

As you can see I am a huge collector of artisan plastic and I keep my retirement fund in offshore ClickClacks and Bro-Bots...

Nah this is my lone artisan key, I think I spent $30 on it from BingeCaps way back when. No knock on him, he makes some great stuff, but after getting this purchase out of my system, I was pretty much set. Not so much my cup of tea.

Tai-Hao Olivette Alps

Unopened set of alps keys. Maybe I will find a use for these somewhere?

AEK II Keyset

Keyset from the Apple Extended Keyboard II (you know, off the board with no keycaps higher up on the page?). This would be the ultimate alps keyset if the damn nibs were in the correct spot! I tried using these on my Blue Alps 60% and it didn't last long with the nibs in the wrong spot. The problem happened when you switch the nibbed keycaps around, and now everytime I type in a long and complicated password, I type D for F and K for J. Just didn't work out.

Topre PBT Spacebars

These are from the first round of PBT spacebars, designed by Matt3o and sold through Massdrop. Why I bought so many, when I only own a single Topre board? Not a clue.

Pounds of IBM and Vintage caps

Most of these are from stripped alps or cherry boards. I bought a large amount of terminal Model M keycaps from Cindy, and then I have a couple sets of SSK keycaps. Always good to have spares right? :roll:

Alpine Winter

my entire collection of Alpine Winter alps keyset, and at least one of every spacebar option that you could buy. This is such a fantastic keyset, the fact that it was alps is just icing on the cake. I love having it on my Blue Alps 60%. There was an issue in the original production of the keycaps in which the tooling that SP was using for some of the keys was older than some of the other keys, leading to some of the keys being of mismatched profile. So we all got shipped free replacements, which means 2 for the price of 1?

Badwrench Alps Modifiers

These Alps Modifiers by Badwrench Actually were done before Alpine winter to support the Infinity Keyboard that had recently dropped on Massdrop with alps support. Since I buy anything alps, I had to have a set. We also wound up getting lucky? unlucky? Signature Plastics produced the first set with the wrong font, so they reprinted with Cherry legends, and all was right with the world.

Originative Otaku PBT made by BSP

This was the very first keyset I bought. It was an exclusive set sold by Originative on Black Friday. Blank Black PBT set in Cherry profile produced by BSP, whats not to love? Well it is a fantastic set, except for the fact that Originative had notoriously bad customer service and it was a struggle to get my set delivered, and even then I have still not received my Winkey set that I bought in addition, making this set kind of incomplete. I made many attempts to get into contact but was eventually ghosted. I don't really care at this point, the winkey set wasn't much money, but I still long to complete this set. :cry:
Switches/Misc
Spoiler:
Blue Alps

Got like 20 of these bad boys left.

Cherry M84s

These were bought from CherryMX/7bot a long time ago when Muirium and I were planning out this masterful wooden M0110 replica with a 2.4Ghz wireless controller, and you guessed it, Cherry M84s. That master plan never came to fruition but I still liked the idea of it quite a bit...

nRF24LE1 Controller, Dongle, and Programmer

This was going to be the brains of the crazy M0110 replica project. These were chosen based on the really fantastic project and subsequent mod of the OneHand 20% Keyboard. The original was made by PJE, but Kile managed to make one wireless using the nRF controller. He was the one who sent me the programmer, and gave some good guidance on using the controller for a keyboard.

100+ Vintage? MX Black

I mean I guess these are vintage blacks, that I desoldered off of an old WYSE board. But if this thread tells you anything, who knows if these are the "least scratchy" or not. I still haven't found a board to put these in, but it never hurts to have them on hand...

Model M flippers and springs

Some flippers and springs for a model M, as well as a Model M controller, and a Model F solenoid out of my F107. Also some Alps stabs for good measure.

SPRiT Springs

Some quantities of springs of different weight for Cherry MX. I honestly don't know how many are in each pack and I don't really care to count. I imagine enough for at least a TKL?

Cherry PCB and Plate Mount Stabs

The Enabler

This is a really cool design for single switch PCBs that can then be connected. It allows for pretty modular PCBs.

Industrial Model M Case

NOS Industrial Model M shells are still being sold by unicomp! I snagged one of these as soon as they were put up on the Unicomp website, imagining them to go super fast, but in fact they are still being sold on their website. While they aren't the coveted Industrial SSK, they are certainly cool. If the Model MF ever gets produced I will be building one into this case. Oh and there are some new IBM sticker logos that I got in a group buy from Seebart I think?

Other Input Devices
Spoiler:
CST L-Trac and Logitech G403

These are my 2 primary pointing devices in use right now. Depending on which computer I am using I will swap these back and forth when ever I get bored of the other. I do find myself using the mouse a whole lot more now that I got it.

CST 'kid trac'

I got this originally from a group buy here, and then I liked it enough to go out and get the L-Trac the next time it dropped on Massdrop.

Cromemco "Joysticks"

These were some really interesting input devices I found in the attic. They have a few Cherry M7's in them with some nice spherical doubleshots.

Altair 8800

I had to have some type of clickbait for the thread thumbnail!
Crap, I put way more effort into this than I had intended to. Hopefully you enjoy.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

22 Apr 2018, 04:55

Just like you I left for about two years to pursue other things in the real world. And I mostly agree with your observations. I used to browse r/mk on a regular basis but at this point it seems to have become an unironic meme about who has the flashiest keeb. Prices seem higher on things as well.

Slom

22 Apr 2018, 08:50

I can not deny the inspiration here :D Funnily enough, these are the two only ones we have "in common" ...

Great collection, reminds me that I also want to have one of those kids cst trackballs.
IMG_0791.JPG
IMG_0791.JPG (787.79 KiB) Viewed 5403 times

Myoth

22 Apr 2018, 12:38

pyrelink wrote: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cherry G84 PCB?

Didn't know where else to put this. I think its a G84 NOS PCB. I bought it for pretty cheap on geekhack I think.

this isn't from Cherry, it's custom made by desko :

at least it's what I think it is :P

Dingster

22 Apr 2018, 12:52

Nice collection man :)
Yea r/mk is not in a good spot atm...Literal artisan dumpster fire :lol:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Apr 2018, 14:23

Finally someone with a decent collection and with some experience. Respect pyrelink !

pyrelink

22 Apr 2018, 16:21

Slom wrote: I can not deny the inspiration here :D Funnily enough, these are the two only ones we have "in common" ...

Great collection, reminds me that I also want to have one of those kids cst trackballs.
IMG_0791.JPG
That is truly insane! Looking at your post history I guess you found the Clare Pendar board on eBay? Where did you find that Honeywell keyboard, and do you happen to have the date code on the side posted anywhere? Cool stuff!

Myoth wrote: this isn't from Cherry, it's custom made by desko :
Ah yes that probably makes more sense. I will try to find the Geekhack thread I bought it from, but I bet you are right.
seebart wrote: Finally someone with a decent collection and with some experience. Respect pyrelink !
Thank you Seebart, means a lot :)

As for the selling side of this, I have gotten quite a few PMs with offers or interest in some things here (especially in relation to the reply count for this thread :lol:). I honestly didn't think there would be that much interest in what I had, so I might eventually (begrudgingly) make a marketplace thread to make things easier/differentiate between what I actually want to get rid of, and what I want to keep. When I figure that last part out for myself I will try to get back to some of the PMs ;)

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

23 Apr 2018, 05:06

seebart wrote: Finally someone with a decent collection and with some experience. Respect pyrelink !
everyone else's collection posted before this was garbage right :^)

ScottPaladin

23 Apr 2018, 05:45

A nice collection of keyboards and I'm eager to see updates on your projects. Very cool.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

23 Apr 2018, 14:10

pyrelink wrote: If anyone has a spare "numpad +" IBM key please send me a message!
Ask Cindy, she has it for sure!

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

24 Apr 2018, 17:06

suffering from a serious stroke or is "keeb" being used without irony?
Would this be the first time someone told you that you unfortunately weren't having a stoke?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

24 Apr 2018, 21:18

Pyrelink, as a vintage computer collector, they keyboards are nice but let me know if you are thinking about parting with the Altair 8800 :)

Slom

26 Apr 2018, 21:05

pyrelink wrote:
Slom wrote: I can not deny the inspiration here :D Funnily enough, these are the two only ones we have "in common" ...

The attachment IMG_0791.JPG is no longer available
That is truly insane! Looking at your post history I guess you found the Clare Pendar board on eBay? Where did you find that Honeywell keyboard, and do you happen to have the date code on the side posted anywhere? Cool stuff!
That was an ebay find as well ...
IMG_0792.JPG
IMG_0792.JPG (160.86 KiB) Viewed 5114 times

Return to “Gallery”