Kinesis Evolution:

Safetype:

μTRON:

IBM Model M15:

Cherry MX 5000:

Cherry V80-5000HAD prototype:

burr

09 Mar 2011, 15:55

That's a lot of interesting keyboards, I really like the ergologic and the safetype.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Mar 2011, 16:18

Heh, you picked the only two rubber dome ergonomic keyboards I have.

burr

09 Mar 2011, 16:25

webwit wrote:Heh, you picked the only two rubber dome ergonomic keyboards I have.
Yeah, I know. I don't like them because I think they are good boards, I like them because they are different and, quite frankly, ridiculous :)

off

02 Apr 2012, 14:33

oh my god.

So how much did you spend?
And, why, suffering from RSI something?
*I am impressed and jealous btw ;)

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Apr 2012, 20:02

Because they are interesting. The rise of RSI was a driver for innovation.

dirge

02 Apr 2012, 20:21

I like the look of (first picture, far right, middle beige on)

itlnstln

02 Apr 2012, 20:29

dirge wrote:I like the look of (first picture, far right, middle beige on)
Marquardt Mini-Ergo

It looks pretty cool if I do say so myself. It would look even nicer in an updated color-scheme, IMO.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Apr 2012, 20:44

Looks like a Stealth Fighter, but isn't very good.

itlnstln

02 Apr 2012, 20:47

It has stiff, linear switches, right?

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Apr 2012, 20:49

Correct.

off

02 Apr 2012, 20:55

And the board all the way in the back on the right (first pic)? Looks kinda funky, almost like two numpads with arrows in between

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Apr 2012, 21:31

That's the num/function pad of the Apple ergonomic keyboard next to it.

rodtang

02 Apr 2012, 21:34

webwit wrote:That's the num/function pad of the Apple ergonomic keyboard next to it.
A great example or the worst alps ever.

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Apr 2012, 21:36

Yeah these suck.

off

02 Apr 2012, 22:52

ic, should've noted the f-keyless board next to it.. doh.
So...... how would you rate all these? (and yes, the marquardt definitely has the looks, though bloody huge)

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Apr 2012, 23:08

Bad: TypeMatrix (put your hands in front of your chest, then stick forward. How comfortable), SafeType (floating arms are tiresome, one-size fits all, rubber domes), Apple Adjustable (not so adjustable, switches suck), Marquardt (one-not-so-comfortable size fits all, switches suck).

OK: Pace (nice adjustability), ergoLogic (mostly a collector's item, rubber dome), Northgate Evolution (great keyboard, but lacks adjustability), Perfectouch (nice green Alps), Fingerworks Touchstream (great mousing, only for a specific type of RSI as a keyboard).

Good: Kinesis Evolution (complicated Alps, split), Cherry 5000 (duh), Kinesis Advantage (lacks adjustabilty for highest class).

Excellent: uTron (innovative, Topre switches, split), IBM Model M15 (completely adjustable, buckling springs).

Best: DataHand Professional II. The keyboard rebooted as it should be.

Trent

04 Apr 2012, 08:05

I want a datahand so bad :cry:

Jim66

04 Apr 2012, 17:54

webwit wrote:Bad: TypeMatrix (put your hands in front of your chest, then stick forward. How comfortable), SafeType (floating arms are tiresome, one-size fits all, rubber domes), Apple Adjustable (not so adjustable, switches suck), Marquardt (one-not-so-comfortable size fits all, switches suck).

OK: Pace (nice adjustability), ergoLogic (mostly a collector's item, rubber dome), Northgate Evolution (great keyboard, but lacks adjustability), Perfectouch (nice green Alps), Fingerworks Touchstream (great mousing, only for a specific type of RSI as a keyboard).

Good: Kinesis Evolution (complicated Alps, split), Cherry 5000 (duh), Kinesis Advantage (lacks adjustabilty for highest class).

Excellent: uTron (innovative, Topre switches, split), IBM Model M15 (completely adjustable, buckling springs).

Best: DataHand Professional II. The keyboard rebooted as it should be.
I don't own most of these boards... But I agree entirely with the way that you have categorized them.

Icarium

04 Apr 2012, 19:33

you should add the alphagrip to that list! i just got one and i'm dreadfully slow but it is super interesting.b

EDIT: thank you input_nirvana!,

Trent

04 Apr 2012, 20:08

webwit, you've stated that the best is the datahand. I've seen the input folder photos where you have it mounted to the chair. Do you use it enough to where you are used to it? How much does the wpm increase from getting used to it?

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Apr 2012, 20:42

I've been using it daily. I type around 80wpm both on the Datahand and ordinary keyboards. The Datahand is a bit faster, but my brain isn't.

Jim66

05 Apr 2012, 00:13

I've developed pretty serious tendinitis in my right hand over the past couple of months; it hurts like mad. I look on the bright side, now I can spend more money on ergonomic boards.

:).

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Apr 2012, 00:15

Maybe mouse related? I had the same thing once, cured by using my left hand for mousing. Less expensive than a DataHand.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

05 Apr 2012, 00:17

Typing on the SafeType like a boss: Using your DingDong and both hands for left,right and middle keypads ^^

Funny keyboard is funny ^^

tsangan

30 Jun 2012, 08:13

Just picked up my very first ergo board I got the chance to snatch up a MX5000, and I must say I quite enjoy this ergo business more then I ever thought I would.

Now going through webwit's list, since I have no intention of getting a DataHand I think I am going to for the uTron next, I must say you got a nice list going webwit!

off

01 Jul 2012, 16:40

t!ng wrote:Typing on the SafeType like a boss: Using your DingDong and both hands for left,right and middle keypads ^^
It appears that the M15 and the Omnikey Evolution also support this innovation!

@webwit: Only now noticed you rated both Kinesis as equals... which heavily surprises me, care to enlighten?
Is it really true for you with the adjustability of the split weighing so heavily (and ofcourse supporting chairmount ootb ;)) that it is about equal to the bowl-ed&collumn-staggered Advantage?

Half-Saint

02 Jul 2012, 07:28

And I'm willing to bet that you haven't paid more than 50-100€ per board :D

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Jul 2012, 01:25

off wrote:@webwit: Only now noticed you rated both Kinesis as equals... which heavily surprises me, care to enlighten?
Is it really true for you with the adjustability of the split weighing so heavily (and ofcourse supporting chairmount ootb ;)) that it is about equal to the bowl-ed&collumn-staggered Advantage?
The Advantage is completely fixed and not-adjustable. That's a big fail for an ergo keyboard, no matter what it does right. I'd love to see it split with adjustable feet, like a uTron.
Half-Saint wrote:And I'm willing to bet that you haven't paid more than 50-100€ per board :D
There are some great finds in there, but also some very expensive ones...

guilleguillaume

04 Jul 2012, 04:03

webwit wrote:
off wrote:@webwit: Only now noticed you rated both Kinesis as equals... which heavily surprises me, care to enlighten?
The Advantage is completely fixed and not-adjustable. That's a big fail for an ergo keyboard, no matter what it does right. I'd love to see it split with adjustable feet, like a uTron.
Half-Saint wrote:And I'm willing to bet that you haven't paid more than 50-100€ per board :D
There are some great finds in there, but also some very expensive ones...
I guess the uTron is one of them :geek:

Return to “Gallery”