F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

oropeth

11 Apr 2018, 15:53

ilezia wrote:Now the itch to get one is real though and it looks like I've caught up at the last possible moment!
There is no hurry. The date on the homepage moves forward one month every month. Also, this is still just the early-bird round. There will be a production run later.

andrewjoy

11 Apr 2018, 16:07

Ellipse wrote: This month I had the honor to speak with one of the supervisory engineers of the early 1980s Model F keyboard production! He helpfully offered detailed specifications and production notes on the springs and dye sublimation process - two greatly needed parts of the project. He even remembered the exact PBT material IBM used for the keys! IBM seems to have done the dye sublimation at significant economies of scale with huge machines; I have to see if smaller-scale machines produce the same results or if I have to find a factory to take care of this. Quality control (legend alignment especially) will be the most important part of dye sublimation.

Regarding the cases and clearances for custom USB wires, the ultra compact cases have the port so you can plug in a cable directly without having to open the case. The opening is 1-2mm bigger on all sides to accommodate different-sized micro USB connectors. The classic cases have short length of wire inside the case and the USB cable has a metal P clip for strain relief like the originals. The controller is more recessed than the original F62/F77 (mostly underneath the bottom inner assembly) to allow the micro USB connector to fit in the case without having to offer a different controller design for compact and standard cases.
That must have been a nice chat :), dont show him any of unicomps current work, it will kill the poor guy to see his work so bastardised

ilezia

11 Apr 2018, 16:26

oropeth wrote: There is no hurry. The date on the homepage moves forward one month every month. Also, this is still just the early-bird round. There will be a production run later.
Is that so? Well I suppose the thread has been going on since 2015 :) Slightly difficult to back-track 107 pages of information in discussion format! I'll probably still put an order in soon.

I understand that the HHKB style split right shift gives me a function button but can I double check if the split backspace means a backspace and a delete?

nik137

11 Apr 2018, 17:48

ilezia wrote: I understand that the HHKB style split right shift gives me a function button but can I double check if the split backspace means a backspace and a delete?
Split backspace means where the standard ansi layout has backspace, you get two 1u keys instead. The HHKB layout has \| on one and `~ on the other, while backspace goes where the \| key is on the standard layout.

darkcruix

11 Apr 2018, 17:50

nik137 wrote:
ilezia wrote: I understand that the HHKB style split right shift gives me a function button but can I double check if the split backspace means a backspace and a delete?
Split backspace means where the standard ansi layout has backspace, you get two 1u keys instead. The HHKB layout has \| on one and `~ on the other, while backspace goes where the \| key is on the standard layout.
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 17.50.14.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 17.50.14.jpg (25.43 KiB) Viewed 6781 times
You can have backspace or Delete on that key - depending what you assign to it.

ilezia

11 Apr 2018, 17:59

darkcruix wrote:
nik137 wrote:
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 17.50.14.jpg
You can have backspace or Delete on that key - depending what you assign to it.
Ah great - thank you for the explanation. The regular printed keyset presumably has the \| `~ keys.

yac

19 Apr 2018, 03:44

Ellipse wrote: The classic cases have short length of wire inside the case and the USB cable has a metal P clip for strain relief like the originals. The controller is more recessed than the original F62/F77 (mostly underneath the bottom inner assembly) to allow the micro USB connector to fit in the case without having to offer a different controller design for compact and standard cases.
Awesome, all my fears were unfounded!

Ellipse

19 Apr 2018, 03:51

The next sample springs should be here the first or second week of May. They will incorporate what I learned about the springs from the IBM Model F supervisory engineer.

JP!

19 Apr 2018, 03:58

Ellipse wrote: The next sample springs should be here the first or second week of May. They will incorporate what I learned about the springs from the IBM Model F supervisory engineer.
Awesome. Did you learn anything interesting about the springs from this engineer?

Ellipse

19 Apr 2018, 04:06

Yes - I posted an update a week or so earlier in case you were interested in the details. The engineer was very helpful. The dye sub expert was also helpful.

Elrick

22 Apr 2018, 21:46

Ellipse wrote: The engineer was very helpful. The dye sub expert was also helpful.
The ONLY main item to concentrate on with any Dye sub work - it has too all be ALIGNED correctly.

Not too far left or too far right but absolutely "Goldilocks" perfect. Never produce another example of Unicomp's work with this keyboard.

It has to receive perfect key-caps, done to ancient IBM standards that do not exist today, that is where you come in to make sure it happens again Ellipse ;) .

Ellipse

28 Apr 2018, 03:39

Half the new spring samples have been completed! Hoping for the remaining 4 variants to be done by the end of next week or early the week after, and then they will all be mailed to me for evaluation.
1 (3) - Copy.jpg
1 (3) - Copy.jpg (177.71 KiB) Viewed 5976 times
3 - Copy.jpg
3 - Copy.jpg (110.5 KiB) Viewed 5976 times
2 - Copy.jpg
2 - Copy.jpg (102.72 KiB) Viewed 5976 times

Elrick

28 Apr 2018, 05:03

Ellipse wrote: Half the new spring samples have been completed!
3 - Copy.jpg
2 - Copy.jpg
DAMN nice and chunky, just that way I like my springs ;) .

Hoping they can spring back so violently that my minions would get nose bleeds using them, as the caps fly out and smack them, teaching every one to stay away from my F77.

Exxxccellent Ellipse, you are doing well with this :evilgeek: .

pbw

28 Apr 2018, 07:17

FXT wrote: I'm not a fan of LinusTechTips but it might make sense to send him a review unit for all the publicity. On the other hand I feel like his audience might not appreciate something as nice as a Model F because it's not "gamer" enough.
wobbled wrote:
FXT wrote: I'm not a fan of LinusTechTips but it might make sense to send him a review unit for all the publicity. On the other hand I feel like his audience might not appreciate something as nice as a Model F because it's not "gamer" enough.
I wouldn't be so sure, Linus has mentioned his love for Model M's in a video before. He may appreciate a Model F even more so.
codemonkeymike wrote: Linus has a big audience but is more neutral on clicky mechanical keyboards. Personally I would think LGR would be the perfect person to send one to, he is big into model m keyboards and has a ton of old and new computer peripherals which he as reviewed.
Linus just made a Model M video that's available on his platform Floatplane and will be released on youtube either this coming week or the week after. Depending on how that video does, it might not be a bad idea to get in touch with him and have him review the new Model F

green-squid

28 Apr 2018, 09:54

pbw wrote:
codemonkeymike wrote: Linus has a big audience but is more neutral on clicky mechanical keyboards. Personally I would think LGR would be the perfect person to send one to, he is big into model m keyboards and has a ton of old and new computer peripherals which he as reviewed.
Linus just made a Model M video that's available on his platform Floatplane and will be released on youtube either this coming week or the week after. Depending on how that video does, it might not be a bad idea to get in touch with him and have him review the new Model F
Absolutely! An LTT video is the push that the Model F needs, and this is the right time to drop him an e-mail about sending a prototype their way, because of the M video and the fact that they are doing more interesting keyboard stuff that isn't the typical Razer Corsair Logitech stuff. They haven't been reviewing those for YEARS now, none since the rebirth of the mechanical keyboard market 4-5 years ago. The only recent one was the wireless logitech one 7 months ago, but that was after years of not doing that.

Linus' audience may only be familiar with the mainstream keyboard stuff, but it would still get lots of attention because of the uniqueness of this product.

This is the perfect opportunity for a giant boost (and my man LGR, who actually knows about this project already, a sample for him would be perfect as well) the project needs. ;)

Elrick

28 Apr 2018, 12:39

green-squid wrote: Linus' audience may only be familiar with the mainstream keyboard stuff, but it would still get lots of attention because of the uniqueness of this product.
My wife's poodle could do the same review, well within Linus's aptitude.

He's not a bright spark especially with any of his so-called reviews. It's just wham, bam right at ya video, parading around like some doofus making his annoying noises and tard-like observations.

Maybe if the 'Wiggles' got one of the F77's they could do a far better promo with a song and dance around it :o .

Far better exposure as all the little ones start crying to own one before the next TV commercial ;) .

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

28 Apr 2018, 12:42

To be honest I think that Linus' "reviews" are more just hands-on first looks than actual reviews. They completely lack depth and often are really subjective rather than objective, but thats's just my 2¢. Great entertainment and nothing more.
Last edited by pansku on 28 Apr 2018, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Apr 2018, 12:42

Elrick wrote: My wife's poodle could do the same review well within Linus's capability.
:lol:
J1spq-9N.jpeg
J1spq-9N.jpeg (19.54 KiB) Viewed 5691 times

FXT
XT

28 Apr 2018, 15:01

I completely forgot about LGR, I would like to see him review an F62/F77. His intro sound is an XT Model F, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

green-squid

28 Apr 2018, 17:18

Elrick wrote:
green-squid wrote: Linus' audience may only be familiar with the mainstream keyboard stuff, but it would still get lots of attention because of the uniqueness of this product.
My wife's poodle could do the same review, well within Linus's aptitude.

He's not a bright spark especially with any of his so-called reviews. It's just wham, bam right at ya video, parading around like some doofus making his annoying noises and tard-like observations.

Maybe if the 'Wiggles' got one of the F77's they could do a far better promo with a song and dance around it :o .

Far better exposure as all the little ones start crying to own one before the next TV commercial ;) .
Like him or not, he has a big audience, and since he likes the Model M, I'm sure he will love the F too.

pbw

28 Apr 2018, 19:14

pansku wrote: To be honest I think that Linus' "reviews" are more just hands-on first looks than actual reviews. They completely lack depth and often are really subjective rather than objective, but thats's just my 2¢. Great entertainment and nothing more.
His upcoming Model M vid was actually pretty good. He went through the whole history of it, from the PS/2 to Lexmark to Unicomp. And at the end of it, his verdict while he could buy a new one from unicomp, he'd rather pay the money to get a vintage old one. So I think it could be a good follow-up vid for there to be a third option: a new model F

digital_matthew

28 Apr 2018, 19:40

pbw wrote:
pansku wrote: To be honest I think that Linus' "reviews" are more just hands-on first looks than actual reviews. They completely lack depth and often are really subjective rather than objective, but thats's just my 2¢. Great entertainment and nothing more.
His upcoming Model M vid was actually pretty good. He went through the whole history of it, from the PS/2 to Lexmark to Unicomp. And at the end of it, his verdict while he could buy a new one from unicomp, he'd rather pay the money to get a vintage old one. So I think it could be a good follow-up vid for there to be a third option: a new model F
No mention of the AT version? Not surprised.

pbw

28 Apr 2018, 19:42

digital_matthew wrote:
pbw wrote:
Actually, he did mention the AT version and compared the plugs the lack of lock lights to the PS/2 version. I forgot to say it, whoops!

digital_matthew

28 Apr 2018, 19:44

pbw wrote:
digital_matthew wrote:
pbw wrote: His upcoming Model M vid was actually pretty good. He went through the whole history of it, from the PS/2 to Lexmark to Unicomp. And at the end of it, his verdict while he could buy a new one from unicomp, he'd rather pay the money to get a vintage old one. So I think it could be a good follow-up vid for there to be a third option: a new model F
Actually, he did mention the AT version and compared the lack of lock lights and plugs. I forgot to say it, whoops!
Hmmm... This may actually be worth checking out...

pbw

28 Apr 2018, 19:49

digital_matthew wrote: Hmmm... This may actually be worth checking out...
He went full university professor on it. Here's a quick screen cap:

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

28 Apr 2018, 20:08

Seems like it could actually be worth watching. When is it coming to youtube?

green-squid

28 Apr 2018, 20:14

Did he mention bolt modding? That is an important factor with old ones too!

Dingster

28 Apr 2018, 20:37

pbw wrote:
That sounds like a pretty solid video imo :)

FXT
XT

28 Apr 2018, 22:47

green-squid wrote: Did he mention bolt modding? That is an important factor with old ones too!

Not really, I've owned 3 Ms and none of them needed it. It's not necessary with the majority of Ms.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

28 Apr 2018, 23:39

Bolt modding started out as a way to save badly abused Model Ms from the scrap heap, and somehow morphed into a desirable thing to have.

Return to “Group buys”