Linus Tech Tips will be doing a video on the Model M...

green-squid

21 Apr 2018, 13:01

I'm not sure if I should be happy that more people will know about the Model M and its awesome keyfeel, or be worried that other people won't be getting good deals anymore on Ms. :?

I like LTT: their production quality is amazing and all of the staff members at LMG are awesome people, Linus included! But it often feels like they put in too many 'hip jokes so young people relate'. And you know, sometimes I get that, since that's what attracts more viewers so they stick around for better content. But I don't like it when he just drops in a 'Dank ''AF'' ' out of nowhere. But it is mostly positive.

But I BEG them to include the Unicomp options. Yes, us keyboard snobs will complain about Unicomp for good reason. But a LTT video is what Unicomp NEEDS to boost their sales! So let's hope for the best.
Last edited by green-squid on 21 Apr 2018, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Apr 2018, 13:03

As long as they dont know about Model F...

green-squid

21 Apr 2018, 13:09

seebart wrote: As long as they dont know about Model F...
He can always throw a shoutout to our boy Ellipse, but please not argue about that.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Apr 2018, 13:23

green-squid wrote:
seebart wrote: As long as they dont know about Model F...
He can always throw a shoutout to our boy Ellipse, but please not argue about that.
Elliptical. :mrgreen:

FXT
XT

21 Apr 2018, 13:55

I'm curious what info he'll get wrong on the M

wobbled

21 Apr 2018, 15:30

FXT wrote: I'm curious what info he'll get wrong on the M
He used to use a Model M as his main keyboard, so I'd expect him to know a thing or two about them

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

21 Apr 2018, 16:20

wobbled wrote:
He used to use a Model M as his main keyboard, so I'd expect him to know a thing or two about them
I've owned a car for 7 years but I certainly can't tell you everything about them. :P

wobbled

21 Apr 2018, 16:37

Blaise170 wrote:
wobbled wrote:
I've owned a car for 7 years but I certainly can't tell you everything about them. :P
Well you might not care about cars, but Linus seems to care about keyboards, perhaps not as much as us nerds though

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

21 Apr 2018, 17:10

The point is that I do care about cars, just perhaps not as much as those motorheads. :lol:

Findecanor

21 Apr 2018, 18:43

Is Linus Tech Tips still a thing?

green-squid

21 Apr 2018, 18:48

Findecanor wrote: Is Linus Tech Tips still a thing?
Yeah.
Attachments
ttl.png
ttl.png (558.58 KiB) Viewed 12711 times

Bass

22 Apr 2018, 00:56

I have watched another one of his videos about mechanical keyboards in the past and he has mentioned that he used to own a Model M when he was younger, and he considered it to be superior to any modern keyboard.

I don't know if it's necessary to worry about Model M prices after this video comes out, I am kind of under the impression that virtually everyone involved in this hobby has heard of the Model M (but not the Model F).

wobbled

22 Apr 2018, 00:58

All of us need to buy every fucking Model M going and make a hefty profit off these hipster kids!

samuelcable

22 Apr 2018, 01:01

wobbled wrote: All of us need to buy every fucking Model M going and make a hefty profit off these hipster kids!
viable get rich quick scheme

Ir0n

22 Apr 2018, 01:58

Yeah profit off the Ms, then you spend that model M money and dump it into model Fs...
If enough of us follow this there wont be supply for the rest and prices will go up! Even more so if he does a Model F follow up. Then we sell again and finally we all end up with beamsprings.

It's the perfect plan honestly..

Mr.Nobody

22 Apr 2018, 02:57

Hopefully, Ms' price will be hyped up.

zool

28 Apr 2018, 05:06

Elrick

28 Apr 2018, 06:37

Bass wrote: I don't know if it's necessary to worry about Model M prices after this video comes out, I am kind of under the impression that virtually everyone involved in this hobby has heard of the Model M (but not the Model F).
That's a good thing, meanwhile the Model-F's prices are still reasonable compared to 'Beamspring's' that have gone stratospheric in pricing.

Imagine if Linus discovers 'Beamers' then watch him convulse into epileptic shock when he examines their rarity and current value :lol: .

green-squid

28 Apr 2018, 10:42

Oh wow! That's looking amazing! The production quality looks great. I can't wait for them to release the video!
Sucks that Max (LTT camerawoman and hand model) is leaving, wish her the best.
Let's hope Ellipse will contact them about the Fs he's making.

Findecanor

28 Apr 2018, 13:26

green-squid wrote:
Findecanor wrote: Is Linus Tech Tips still a thing?
Yeah.
I know. I'm just dissing him because he is so good at "touch typing" on his smartphone ... :P
green-squid wrote: Sucks that Max (LTT camerawoman and hand model) is leaving, wish her the best.
Now where am I going to get my weekly fix of hot Canasian ...

andrea-i

29 Apr 2018, 08:24

This linus thing is making me feel lucky I got my model M before a shit-storm hits even this last semi-affordable glory from the past.

I got mine for 60 euros, patiently waiting for an ansi model to show up in EU.
Has all the rivets intact and it has become my only keyboard since I got it.
Initially it felt weird compared to my model F, then the modern layout made me do the switch and now I think it's even better then a model F, I know everyone else thinks otherwise, but I like its thock sound way better than the F's barrels on pcb high pitched sound.

Next step would be an SSK, but I'm so happy with my M that I can patiently wait for a half decently priced SSK to show up in EU, possibly in a moment where I have the money to spend : D (I got the feeling it might take an eternity)

Dingster

29 Apr 2018, 12:29

andrea-i wrote: This linus thing is making me feel lucky I got my model M before a shit-storm hits even this last semi-affordable glory from the past.

I got mine for 60 euros, patiently waiting for an ansi model to show up in EU.
Has all the rivets intact and it has become my only keyboard since I got it.
Initially it felt weird compared to my model F, then the modern layout made me do the switch and now I think it's even better then a model F, I know everyone else thinks otherwise, but I like its thock sound way better than the F's barrels on pcb high pitched sound.

Next step would be an SSK, but I'm so happy with my M that I can patiently wait for a half decently priced SSK to show up in EU, possibly in a moment where I have the money to spend : D (I got the feeling it might take an eternity)
Just be patient man, Im sure some will show up. There is also ebay with the occasional good deal :D

Elrick

01 May 2018, 03:37

Dingster wrote: Just be patient man, Im sure some will show up. There is also ebay with the occasional good deal :D
Agreed.

Despite the sky high pricing on just about EVERYTHING, sometimes a real good "SSK" shows up simply because the seller wants to get rid of it quickly.

FXT
XT

01 May 2018, 04:05

In regards to the video, I saw it and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Not super in depth, but that's not really what I was expecting. I don't like the way he delivered a few points about the M but that's just me being nitpicky.

zool

01 May 2018, 21:16

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 May 2018, 21:43

Yeah the video isn't actually as bad as I expected either. His delivery was somewhat confusing at points (e.g. he made it sound as if Lexmark ONLY made rubber dome Model M keyboards).

Dingster

01 May 2018, 21:51

zool wrote:
Very nice video actually...Now watch the ebay prices! :lol:

green-squid

01 May 2018, 22:08

Just watched it, very very good video, I enjoyed it.

I don't expect Model Ms to soar in price (since he showed a $300 listing for a 0th gen one), but it may give people who want to sell a run of the mill model M a bad example pricing.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 May 2018, 22:10

I'm tempted to sell mine, but then it's attached to a terminal and I don't know how many keyboard enthusiasts want to buy a Model M and a terminal.

green-squid

01 May 2018, 22:16

Blaise170 wrote: I'm tempted to sell mine, but then it's attached to a terminal and I don't know how many keyboard enthusiasts want to buy a Model M and a terminal.
Try the VOGONS (vintage computer forum) marketplace.

Return to “News”