Canon S-66 Typewriter Conversion

SpacemanToby

30 Apr 2018, 12:31

Unfortunately I don't have a very extensive build log for this one.

I replaced the integrated domes that come stock on the typewriter with Alps SKCL greens.
The case is hand routed out of an oak board. The board had a live edge on it that I tried to incorporate into the case.

original typewriter

original board

This is the only image I got during the routing process. My garage is a graveyard of failed router jigs.

Dingster

30 Apr 2018, 12:34

Hands down one of the prettiest wooden boards Ive seen, love how you kept the "log" aspect of the wood, with natural corners and curves (also linears :D ), how long did it take to make? Mind doing a typing test?

green-squid

30 Apr 2018, 12:40

:o :o :o
Nice.

chip chop

30 Apr 2018, 16:11

so badass..... great job!

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

30 Apr 2018, 16:11

Very impressive. Cool that you preserved the original layout of the canon caps as well. first time I've seen that.

ScottPaladin

30 Apr 2018, 16:16

That is freaking sweet. Well done.

SpacemanToby

30 Apr 2018, 17:05

Dingster wrote: Hands down one of the prettiest wooden boards Ive seen, love how you kept the "log" aspect of the wood, with natural corners and curves (also linears :D ), how long did it take to make? Mind doing a typing test?
Thanks! It took a month or so, but mostly because it's hard to find time these days to work on it. I'd say it's a couple evenings to tear down and desolder the typewriter (this one in particular is annoying because Alps Integrated domes have 4 pins), 2 or 3 evenings hand-wiring, a couple nights making the router jigs and prepping them for routing, the actual routing goes pretty quickly, then just a couple more days of finishing, chiseling, and staining.

I'd like to make a typing video. I've never done one, but i have a decent mic, so I don't see why I couldn't.

Dingster

30 Apr 2018, 19:16

SpacemanToby wrote:
Dingster wrote: Hands down one of the prettiest wooden boards Ive seen, love how you kept the "log" aspect of the wood, with natural corners and curves (also linears :D ), how long did it take to make? Mind doing a typing test?
Thanks! It took a month or so, but mostly because it's hard to find time these days to work on it. I'd say it's a couple evenings to tear down and desolder the typewriter (this one in particular is annoying because Alps Integrated domes have 4 pins), 2 or 3 evenings hand-wiring, a couple nights making the router jigs and prepping them for routing, the actual routing goes pretty quickly, then just a couple more days of finishing, chiseling, and staining.

I'd like to make a typing video. I've never done one, but i have a decent mic, so I don't see why I couldn't.
Looking forward to it, should sound pretty amazing :)

nsmechkb

30 Apr 2018, 19:22

This is one of the coolest boards I've ever seen. I keep wanting to try Alps in a wooden case; it seems like a great combination. Awesome work!

pyrelink

30 Apr 2018, 21:29

Beautiful work Toby. Out of curiosity, do you happen to have any photos of how you mounted the plate into the case/the empty case? I am assuming they were hand wired, and thus no PCB that needed to be supported with standoffs?

I love that you left the wood mostly natural, it has such a nice grain. Also +1 for green skcl.

SpacemanToby

30 Apr 2018, 22:19

pyrelink wrote: Beautiful work Toby. Out of curiosity, do you happen to have any photos of how you mounted the plate into the case/the empty case? I am assuming they were hand wired, and thus no PCB that needed to be supported with standoffs?

I love that you left the wood mostly natural, it has such a nice grain. Also +1 for green skcl.

There's actually no bottom to this case. My plan is to make it sort of a display back.
Essentially, it's screwed into the top and bottom sides of the case. The bottom side of the plate had a couple screw holes that I was able to use, and for the top I made a little strip of wood to hold it in. I don't actually have the Teensy in yet, but it will sit down in one of the corners on the space bar row.

pyrelink

30 Apr 2018, 22:26

Ah, I see. Very clever. Thank you for sharing.

Brot

01 May 2018, 10:55

Very Nice!

snufflecat

01 May 2018, 12:28

Very neat. How do the caps mount on the switches? Do they fit "out of the box" or did you have to make adapters for them?

SpacemanToby

01 May 2018, 12:42

They fit out of the box. The Alps integrated Dome switches use the same caps as the skcl series.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 May 2018, 13:07

Wow,quite the custom. Impressive!

FSTP

02 May 2018, 08:04

Great craftsmanship!

xtreg

03 May 2018, 07:53

Love that edge! Coolest board I've seen for a long while.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

joebeazelman

08 Jan 2020, 01:44

This keyboard really tickles my aesthetic receptors. It deserves the top design award. It’s so creative and hillbilly chic! It looks like some guy in the country took a broken C64 and some wood he found in the wilderness and built himself a terminal to monitor and program his moonshine still. If it hasn’t been named, it should be called “White Lightening.”

Return to “Keyboards”