Linus Tech Tips will be doing a video on the Model M...

Yeastyzen

01 May 2018, 23:28

If you had $300 USD to spend on a Model M, which would you buy?

wobbled

01 May 2018, 23:30

Yeastyzen wrote: If you had $300 USD to spend on a Model M, which would you buy?
a NIB 1986 square label

Yeastyzen

01 May 2018, 23:36

wobbled wrote:
Yeastyzen wrote: If you had $300 USD to spend on a Model M, which would you buy?
a NIB 1986 square label
Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I was on a tenkeyless.

Yeastyzen

02 May 2018, 06:01

Yeastyzen wrote:
wobbled wrote:
a NIB 1986 square label
Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I was on a tenkeyless.
And now we are going to find out :D

andrewjoy

02 May 2018, 12:05

He got quite a bit wrong ( but overall a good video) , saying the PS2 version was the 2nd gen when in fact there was an AT version with lock lights between the original and the PS/2

His diagram was for a model F flipper and not a model M.

Giving credit for the M being the first true 101 disgn was right but it should have been mentioned that this was clearly a refinement of the 122F terminal design.

No mention of the vastly superior model F.

No mention of the UK or Mexico plants.

No mention of the drop in quality before lexmark

Few pictures but no mention of the SSK.

Still a cool video.

Norman_

02 May 2018, 22:04

andrewjoy wrote: He got quite a bit wrong ( but overall a good video) , saying the PS2 version was the 2nd gen when in fact there was an AT version with lock lights between the original and the PS/2

His diagram was for a model F flipper and not a model M.

Giving credit for the M being the first true 101 disgn was right but it should have been mentioned that this was clearly a refinement of the 122F terminal design.

No mention of the vastly superior model F.

No mention of the UK or Mexico plants.

No mention of the drop in quality before lexmark

Few pictures but no mention of the SSK.

Still a cool video.
Also, one that really bothered me, is he said it wasn't mechanical because it uses a membrane instead of a PCB. Mind blowing how he could say that the Model M isn't mechanical for any reason, let alone that.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

02 May 2018, 22:22

Uh, hard question. The only M on which I could spend 3 hundred is the M15, and... Yeah, I'd need much more money for that.

Mr.Nobody

03 May 2018, 02:00

His video is good enough to give the general public an inkling about Model M.

davkol

04 May 2018, 23:44

Norman_ wrote: Also, one that really bothered me, is he said it wasn't mechanical because it uses a membrane instead of a PCB. Mind blowing how he could say that the Model M isn't mechanical for any reason, let alone that.
He's not wrong, though. Buckling springs aren't really "mechanical" in the same sense as something like Alps SKCM.

Now, I actually object to calling keyboards "mechanical" for arbitrary reasons in general, but I guess it's a lost cause.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

05 May 2018, 00:05

The exact definition of "mechanical keyboard", as already said in this and other places on the Internet, has some fuzzy edges.
For example, I don't agree with the definition "if it has a PCB it's mechanical, otherwise it's not". The membranes are less durable and less resistant to humidity, but if you swap a contact circuit printed on a board with an identical one on membranes nothing will change from an operational point of view - more so if the membranes are mounted on a steel plate. The difference in quality is given by the switches, not the sensing mechanism.

(if the sensing mechanisms that we're comparing are based on the same technology of course. Naturally, capacitive instead of contact-based does imply a difference in quality.)

depletedvespene

05 May 2018, 01:45

Mr.Nobody wrote: His video is good enough to give the general public an inkling about Model M.
... something that carries with it the danger of spreading manifestly wrong information, even if it should benefit those of us "in the know" (like kids rejecting Lexmark-made Model M keyboards "because they're rubberdome", "Linus said so!")

Return to “News”