Never had a mechanical keyboard, does my plan make sense?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 May 2018, 14:03

Sounds like a case of "try before you buy" case right here...

Myoth

03 May 2018, 14:23

FXT wrote: I have no issues with a small backspace on my XT.
hmm once again the XT has proven its greatness, take that @depletedvespene ! and those aren't even my words !! :mrgreen:

depletedvespene

03 May 2018, 14:27

No, it hasn't. The stepped backspace on the XT is nowhere near being its biggest problem. Also, let's not scare keyboardnovice off with a Model F flame war (not yet, at least). :mrgreen:

keyboardnovice

03 May 2018, 17:47

seebart wrote: Sounds like a case of "try before you buy" case right here...

How do you mean?

seebart

03 May 2018, 18:09

keyboardnovice wrote:
seebart wrote: Sounds like a case of "try before you buy" case right here...

How do you mean?
Occasionally we share a keyboard that is sent from user to user just to try it out.

keyboardnovice

03 May 2018, 18:38

depletedvespene wrote: No, it hasn't. The stepped backspace on the XT is nowhere near being its biggest problem. Also, let's not scare keyboardnovice off with a Model F flame war (not yet, at least). :mrgreen:

Is there a raging XT vs AT debate?? If so, sign me up for...*checks picture*... TEAM AT!!

depletedvespene

03 May 2018, 18:43

keyboardnovice wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: No, it hasn't. The stepped backspace on the XT is nowhere near being its biggest problem. Also, let's not scare keyboardnovice off with a Model F flame war (not yet, at least). :mrgreen:

Is there a raging XT vs AT debate?? If so, sign me up for...*checks picture*... TEAM AT!!
You just wait until you discover the F122. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

j0d1

03 May 2018, 18:55

keyboardnovice wrote: Is there a raging XT vs AT debate?? If so, sign me up for...*checks picture*... TEAM AT!!
Why did you choose the loosing side? :evilgeek:

Iggy

03 May 2018, 18:59

depletedvespene wrote: You just wait until you discover the F122. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
^ What he said. 8-)

keyboardnovice

03 May 2018, 20:16

Iggy wrote:
depletedvespene wrote: You just wait until you discover the F122. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
^ What he said. 8-)

What’s the F122? Some kinda fighter jet?

depletedvespene

03 May 2018, 20:20

keyboardnovice wrote:
Iggy wrote:
^ What he said. 8-)

What’s the F122? Some kinda fighter jet?
Don't think "Air Force" and think more in terms of "Navy". :D

Check this out:

digital_matthew

04 May 2018, 05:14

F122 is best because it is the Model F with ALL THE KEYS! :evilgeek:

depletedvespene

04 May 2018, 05:15

digital_matthew wrote: F122 is best because it is the Model F with ALL THE KEYS! :evilgeek:
(not counting the F127)

digital_matthew

04 May 2018, 05:40

depletedvespene wrote:
digital_matthew wrote: F122 is best because it is the Model F with ALL THE KEYS! :evilgeek:
(not counting the F127)
:o

Wow. Never heard of that one. Are there any photos of this beast? I only saw the diagram in the wiki. My Googlefu, which is admittedly pretty weak, didn't yield any results either.

codemonkeymike

04 May 2018, 06:10

Sounds like an urban legend to me

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

04 May 2018, 09:42

If you need more you can put an F50 for macros and symbols on the left of your Battleship, totaling a rather comfortable 172 keys.

Myoth

04 May 2018, 11:09

digital_matthew wrote: Are there any photos of this beast?
codemonkeymike wrote: Sounds like an urban legend to me

Iggy

04 May 2018, 11:25

Oh look, a unicorn. :lol:

Myoth

04 May 2018, 11:31

Iggy wrote:
Oh look, a unicorn. :lol:
Why even try searching for it when every F122 can be turned into THIS :

F132 :lol:

seebart

04 May 2018, 11:43

keyboardnovice wrote:

Nope, but good to know your on " team AT". ;p

__red__

04 May 2018, 17:55

depletedvespene wrote: That said, taking an F AT to work may not be the best idea ever. Heck, I'm a Model M/F fanatic and in my current workplace I have an entirely different keyboard.
The first time a VP came around and made a comment about the sound from my keyboard being too loud I responded:

"I guess you're just not used to the sound of productivity".

(I then proceeded to loan everyone else within 2/3 cubes of my Model Ms from my collection).

peat

04 May 2018, 20:07

Just wanted to share this with op: Around 2006, my girlfriend move back to her parents temporarily after university. Her keyboard got broken and she searched around in the basement for a keyboard and found one a model M. I would say, newer than the one you posted but just slightly. The F keys were at the top.

She was using a desktop at the time and she could easily connect it, though I don't remember which kind of connector it was nor if she used an adapter. I told her, that that was the rolls royce of keyboards, which she realized was true after just a couple of days of usage. At this time there were not as many mechanical keyboards out there as there are now, so it was pretty cool find. Unfortunately, her parents ended up throwing it away when they moved a couple of years after.

Go for it op. Your plan is not only not crazy. That keyboard is the real deal.

Scarpia

04 May 2018, 22:17

__red__ wrote: The first time a VP came around and made a comment about the sound from my keyboard being too loud I responded:

"I guess you're just not used to the sound of productivity".

(I then proceeded to loan everyone else within 2/3 cubes of my Model Ms from my collection).
L E G E N D :lol:

keyboardnovice

05 May 2018, 02:50

Quick question: how likely am I to break something while removing the key caps for cleaning? Worried about plastic getting brittle after 32 years and don’t want to break anything!

fohat
Elder Messenger

05 May 2018, 02:58

You won't likely break caps or stems when removing them, if you have a decent tool.

Or you can buy one for $5-$10 and wait for it to arrive.
Attachments
key-pullers.JPG
key-pullers.JPG (135.98 KiB) Viewed 4974 times

andrea-i

06 May 2018, 07:56

Speaking of XT vs AT vs unsaver, I saw this image a few days ago and I was left speechless:
DSC03658.jpg
DSC03658.jpg (403.73 KiB) Viewed 4901 times
Here's the thread on GH:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71408.0

A crossbreed XT/F107 :shock:

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 May 2018, 15:54

Let's hope this post doesn't start a run on 107 PCBs in order to chop them down to 87 size ....

depletedvespene

06 May 2018, 16:07

That would be a crime of caffeinic proportions! Similar, AND LESS DRASTIC (i.e.: reversible) results may be gotten with an F AT instead, so instead let's go for those...

Darkshado

06 May 2018, 22:35

Guys, this is a thread from 2015, where the OP (orihalcon) says outright that the PCB he used had issues on the numpad, combined with a completely dead XT. This is salvaging, not poaching.

depletedvespene

06 May 2018, 22:37

Yes, that one was salvaging. If you do it to functional units, then it's poaching.

Return to “Keyboards”