Cherry G81-3100SAV keyboards, keysets.

amnesia0287

10 May 2018, 07:54

ball00n wrote: Rules:
  • Account on DT registered before date of publication.
  • At least one post prior to this thread.
Dang... these rules are buzzkill O_o. Never had a reason to post on DT before and now its too late >_<

kbdfr
The Tiproman

10 May 2018, 08:46

amnesia0287 wrote:
Dang... these rules are buzzkill O_o. Never had a reason to post on DT before and now its too late >_<
I can buy one item and resell it to you - with a markup of 50% :lol:

On a serious note, I do appreciate that random lurkers who "[n]ever had a reason to post on DT before", but find this is one, are excluded.

ba7777
飞不动的加林查

10 May 2018, 09:18

kbdfr wrote: I can buy one item and resell it to you - with a markup of 50% :lol:
It looks like a decent bussiness. :lol:

ball00n

10 May 2018, 09:50

mindxthinker wrote: Hey ball00n,

How many G81-3100SAV are you selling from this round? all 70??
33 of them in the first round.
amnesia0287 wrote:
There will be another round. But you won't be able to buy keysets after this one. Sorry.

amnesia0287

10 May 2018, 22:23

ball00n wrote:
amnesia0287 wrote:
There will be another round. But you won't be able to buy keysets after this one. Sorry.
If you just mean no b-stock, thats fine, I have no interest in b-stock to begin with.
kbdfr wrote: On a serious note, I do appreciate that random lurkers who "[n]ever had a reason to post on DT before", but find this is one, are excluded.
Hey look, its the REASON I've had no interest in posting on DT before. All the "community"...

My interests are in nice custom keyboards and gmk/cherry sets. I've been focused on keyboards and as far as I am aware there are NO customs that get listed on DT and not reddit or GH. I'm active in most every other community, GH/Reddit/Slack/Discord, just never had a need/reason to be on here. That's not an insult, I have no problems with DT, I don't think DT should go away, I just don't have much interest in classic boards and that seems to be the focus here. But you act as if I'm some random, but I've been at least partially active in the kb community since 2015, i have a bunch of GMK sets and boards. I've been working to design sets, I've been making renders for people (for free).

I mostly just don't get why there can't just be "The Keyboard Community" why does every group have to beef and spat with the others? I just like keyboards. I saw some cool cherry caps with Cyrillic legends that I would like. I was contemplating spending $600 to buy a keyboard just to toss the board and harvest the caps (how many active members of DT are actually willing to do that to begin with?), it seemed insane, but now that I've got most of the GMK sets I want, its time to expand my horizons. Upside I guess is I don't have to justify the expense to myself.

Anyway, I finally make a post on DT and what do we get? "I'm glad another member of the keyboard community can't get what they want because they historically don't use the same forum as me... REEEEEEEE! REEEEEEE! But I'll totally double flip for you"

#classy

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

10 May 2018, 22:28

amnesia0287 wrote: (how many active members of DT are actually willing to do that to begin with?)
not even the vintage board hoarders here like cherry MY, trust me

anyway this forum isnt all vintage board collectors and vintage boards, kustoms and newer boards get posted here as well. not sure where this idea came from anyway

amnesia0287

10 May 2018, 22:36

mike52787 wrote:
amnesia0287 wrote: (how many active members of DT are actually willing to do that to begin with?)
not even the vintage board hoarders here like cherry MY, trust me

anyway this forum isnt all vintage board collectors and vintage boards, kustoms and newer boards get posted here as well. not sure where this idea came from anyway
That is not what I said.

I said there is a FOCUS on vintage stuff. It’s a much MUCH higher % of the content compared to any other site.

Anything I care about that is posted here is typically posted 1-2 other places I am active. I can only keep track of so many threads.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

10 May 2018, 23:06

I post plenty here that I don't post on GH or Reddit (in fact I only just recently made a new account on Reddit). Oh well. *Shrugs*

green-squid

10 May 2018, 23:07

mike52787 wrote:
Anyway this forum isnt all vintage board collectors and vintage boards, kustoms and newer boards get posted here as well. not sure where this idea came from anyway
true, but deskthority's bread and butter has always been Vintage. And the forum's general mindset is pretty different from /r/mk or Geekhack (geekhack is kind of a blend of current custom keyboards and vintage, with DT-like forum structure but confusing, but still different). You almost never see artisans or the latest über-pricy GMK sets (well I wish I could like the latter), and the average age seems to be above 30 and beyond (besides some exceptions like me or Myoth).

This attitude difference shows quite a bit if you spend some time here, and it has even changed me quite a lot, for better or worse.

I doubt there will be a 4th major Keyboard community/forum in the west, maybe one with not so much division. The closest to that would be r/mk, it's the biggest with new stuff dominating the frontpage, but vintage stuff is still appreciated. Problem is, since it uses reddit's fast paced system, posts are irrelevant within 15-16 hours, since then they are not on the front page, and posts get archived within 6 months, so no necroing (posting to and reviwing discussion on an old thread)

What was I trying to say? Oh yeah, deskthority is different and some cranky folks are cranky here and they want to make young pepole crank, like the Kong.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

11 May 2018, 00:45

There are plenty of under 30s here, including myself.

codemonkeymike

11 May 2018, 01:02

Blaise170 wrote: There are plenty of under 30s here, including myself.
Ditto and I also have plenty of modern keyboards and keysets. I prefer the slower pace here (when I am avoiding "off topic")

amnesia0287

11 May 2018, 02:55

codemonkeymike wrote:
Ditto and I also have plenty of modern keyboards and keysets. I prefer the slower pace here (when I am avoiding "off topic")
Blaise170 wrote:There are plenty of under 30s here, including myself.
You guys understand what majority means right?

I’m an outlier too since reddit and discord skew younger than me.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

11 May 2018, 03:36

Of course I understand what majority means, but the issue is that Deskthority isn't just a bunch of cranky old people with even older keyboards. About the only thing I don't see here very often are artisans, which are a different story altogether.

Dingster

11 May 2018, 07:19

Blaise170 wrote: Of course I understand what majority means, but the issue is that Deskthority isn't just a bunch of cranky old people with even older keyboards. About the only thing I don't see here very often are artisans, which are a different story altogether.
No artisans and keeb bs is why DT is the bestest community imo :lol:

green-squid

11 May 2018, 08:00

Blaise170 wrote: Of course I understand what majority means, but the issue is that Deskthority isn't just a bunch of cranky old people with even older keyboards. About the only thing I don't see here very often are artisans, which are a different story altogether.
Well, what could be the issue? I do sense a larger disconnect from the other communities, but I can't put my finger on it.

CommonCurt

11 May 2018, 08:39

"G81-3100SAV keyboard in it’s original box, with replacement keycaps, keypuller and user manual"

What replacement caps come with the whole boards?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 May 2018, 09:11

ball00n wrote:

[…]

There will be another round […]
Now that's a completely new rule, the initial post contained nothing of the kind but simply read:
ball00n wrote: As the title says, we would like to sell our keyboards. We know that a lot of people would like to get one, so we figured that the only right way of selling them is through a raffle. […]
So this basically equates to reducing the offer in order to justify the price. It's not the announced raffle any more.
I had did not criticized the seller for the enormous gain intended, but in my opinion this new development changes everything.

Myoth

11 May 2018, 09:15

CommonCurt wrote: "G81-3100SAV keyboard in it’s original box, with replacement keycaps, keypuller and user manual"

What replacement caps come with the whole boards?
take a look at the original post ...

codemonkeymike

11 May 2018, 14:43

amnesia0287 wrote:
codemonkeymike wrote:
Blaise170 wrote:There are plenty of under 30s here, including myself.
You guys understand what majority means right?

I’m an outlier too since reddit and discord skew younger than me.
Not only do I know what majority means, I know how to use the search function.

off-topic-f10/keyboard-enthusiast-age-s ... 13274.html

https://imgur.com/a/VR5ZF From this post keyboards-f2/mechanical-keyboards-megas ... 16338.html

Quote from the above
The age of respondents, I thought it might be interesting to see this for the different communities. With hindsight I should probably make these a percentage of their totals to make them more visible. The average age of participants is 24.6. Reddit is slightly younger at 24.3 and Geekhack and Deskthority older at 28.8 and 29.9 respectively.
DT'ers are only about 1 year older on average then Geekhack'ers

LightningXI

11 May 2018, 14:45

kbdfr wrote:
ball00n wrote:

[…]

There will be another round […]
Now that's a completely new rule, the initial post contained nothing of the kind but simply read:
ball00n wrote: As the title says, we would like to sell our keyboards. We know that a lot of people would like to get one, so we figured that the only right way of selling them is through a raffle. […]
So this basically equates to reducing the offer in order to justify the price. It's not the announced raffle any more.
I had did not criticized the seller for the enormous gain intended, but in my opinion this new development changes everything.
I would love for you to elaborate, because I think I see your point but it'd be nicer to have it put into words more explicitly so it can be discussed.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Superdoedoe

11 May 2018, 15:03

Would of been nice to buy these at the original $20 price :lol:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 May 2018, 15:40

LightningXI wrote:
kbdfr wrote:[…]
I would love for you to elaborate, because I think I see your point but it'd be nicer to have it put into words more explicitly so it can be discussed.
Somebody made a fantastic fund of very rare vintage Cherry keyboards, NIB and with cyrillics :!:

Obviously assuming there would be more people interested than keyboards available, they decided to give everyone a chance of getting one by organizing a raffle instead of an usual sale or even an auction - per se a praiseworthy approach.

The problem was their price tag. In order to make as much money as possible (per se, again, a quite normal move), they based it on what they obviously had found such boards to be worth prior to their fund, but failed to take into account the drop inevitably caused by such a huge amount now known to exist and actually offered. In other words, those keyboards are not that rare any more, which in turn means they are worth less - much less. A lot of people who would have been interested waived and said so.

But not wanting to make less money, instead of changing their price tag when they were made aware of the completely new offer/demand relationship, they changed... their rules.
The noble raffle approach does not apply to "our keyboards" any more as first announced, but now to a reduced number.
Or, in other words, it actually is not a raffle any more, it is a sale with added pressure on potential buyers, the intent obviously being to secure the ~$40,000 profit originally planned.

ball00n

11 May 2018, 18:29

Thanks for kind words, kbdfr.

First of all, the price "prior to their fund" was not $500. At least that's what I got from your words. Several people in this thread said that the price is steep, but fair. We actually contacted a few people prior to our sale and asked their opinion on what price we should set in the sale thread. Their prices were sometimes lower, sometimes higher than current so we tried to balance it out considering we have a lot of them. Just think about what we had to consider. Set the price to high, and nobody will buy it. Set the price too low, and too many people will come in and take part in the raffle. More people in the raffle = less people who actually want to use or keep the keyboards will win. Set the price too low, and people will try to find ways to take part in the sale to get more than one keyboard.

Also, I don't think that they worth "much less". There might be no find of SAV boards in years to come. And 70 NIB boards is far away from enough to satisfy everyone. The B-stock raffle already has enough participants to cover the sale twice. The keyboards sale is almost full. The price is not going to change.

As for the "our keyboards" != "70 keyboards". We're really sorry that we didn't specify this in our post. But that was the original idea, to sell them in 2 batches of 33 keyboards and keep 2 for each of us. There are multiple reasons why we're doing the sale in 2 batches. One of the main reasons is to allow people from multiple communities to take part in the sale.

gateron

11 May 2018, 21:08

Hello ball00n.

Beautiful find, i really enjoyed the thread about the findings and the red cyrillic is my favourite colorway.

GLWS!

pr0ximity

12 May 2018, 01:48

ball00n wrote: More people in the raffle = less people who actually want to use or keep the keyboards will win.
Perhaps you should offer discounts based on number of years registered, or weighted entries by number of vintage boards not-flipped-for-profit ;)

In all seriousness, do you really think pricing it higher will get it into the hands of people who will appreciate it more? You must know that's not really how it works.

LightningXI

12 May 2018, 07:36

kbdfr's words ring true, and I very much appreciate him for putting his thoughts into words.

I can only say that I would appreciate this immensely, but the bar with the pricing is frankly quite high. I understand, as It's a 'free market' and all.

I still believe that there is more room in lower price points where there could be the balance you are trying to achieve.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

12 May 2018, 14:22

I don't think it's really about balance.

Vigrith

12 May 2018, 16:57

LightningXI wrote: kbdfr's words ring true, and I very much appreciate him for putting his thoughts into words.

I can only say that I would appreciate this immensely, but the bar with the pricing is frankly quite high. I understand, as It's a 'free market' and all.

I still believe that there is more room in lower price points where there could be the balance you are trying to achieve.
This is my opinion of it as well - first of all, whilst as a definite prospective buyer the 500+ price tag is absolutely prohibitive for me at the moment, I'm also fully aware it isn't and won't be for a few others.

I won't pretend to be as much in the know of the prices of SAVs nowadays but what I do know, as others have said, is that once suddenly like 100 of them pop up undercutting previous NIB prices by like $50-100 may not be meaningful enough to a lot of people; especially if one's looking at unloading them quickly, which appears to be the case.

I'll also reiterate that I would love to own one of these, and that of the couple people that sprung to mind soon as I saw this was up for grabs LightningXi was one of them - this is to say I think the "gatekeeping" (I say this with no ill connotation, just feels like a good word to use) is not fully warranted to keep flippers and/or people who don't appreciate the boards for what they are away.

All in all it's just a complicated situation to handle fairly because as Ball00n said, if you price them too high people will be pissed and won't buy them, price them too low and you get more "unwanted entries" so people will be pissed either way. Setting rules for something like this is unrealistic and you'll always get looked at sideways for being the dude(s) that made 40 grand out of the community's pocket.

There was never going to be any way everyone comes out of this happy.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 May 2018, 08:21

Vigrith wrote:
LightningXI wrote: kbdfr's words ring true, and I very much appreciate him for putting his thoughts into words. […]
[…] All in all it's just a complicated situation to handle fairly because as Ball00n said, if you price them too high people will be pissed and won't buy them, price them too low and you get more "unwanted entries" so people will be pissed either way. Setting rules for something like this is unrealistic and you'll always get looked at sideways for being the dude(s) that made 40 grand out of the community's pocket.

There was never going to be any way everyone comes out of this happy.
There would indeed have been another way of handling this: not divulgating the find, and selling the boards one by one over a lengthy time period.
No question ball00n and mindgame deserve credit for, instead, documenting their great find.

pyrelink

13 May 2018, 09:01

Out of curiosity of the people legitimately hoping to purchase a set of these, is the idea to display the board or the caps on a shelf, or will these caps actually see regular use? Putting the hardcore Cherry collectors aside, I just can’t imagine spending $600 on a keyset and subsequently depreciating it with every strike of a key :lol:

But to each his own. Nice work on all of this you guys. I have often thought about how I would handle distribution in a situation where I discovered a large pile of relics (almost could have happened with a potential shed full of kishsavers a few years back) and this provides a nice case study. Controversial or not I agree with the limiting to active, participating DT users. Interested to see how this ends.

Return to “For sale”