Alps Appreciation

Mr.Nobody

22 Apr 2018, 02:46

rich1051414 wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: Can I call this set of caps Alps Dolch?
The dark keys are too light, and the light grey keys are also too light and not quite the right shade, but it's close enough that MOST people wouldn't correct you :P

BTW, you can buy an alps dolch set in proper colors, double shot. They are Tai-hao though, so they are quite thin. However, no thinner than the caps you are showing here.

TBH, i kind of like the set you are showing a bit more than dolch :)
I didn't know TaiHao has Alps Dolch set, do you have them, please show me.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

22 Apr 2018, 04:49

Mr.Nobody wrote: I didn't know TaiHao has Alps Dolch set, do you have them, please show me.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=1362

Elrick

22 Apr 2018, 07:10

Blaise170 wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: I didn't know TaiHao has Alps Dolch set, do you have them, please show me.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=1362
How weird, they put the Dolch (Tai-Hao) key-set into the PBT key-cap section :shock: .

Elrick

22 Apr 2018, 07:16

I got asked by one of my minions as whether the old "Dell Big Foot Keyboard", has any nkro.

I couldn't say anything but comparing it to the old Model-M's, in which "2" was the maximum before it gave up showing any other key presses at the same time.

Am I right or totally wrong about the Big Foot's nkro abilities?

Chyros

22 Apr 2018, 08:55

The Dell Bigfoot has 2KRO.

fohat
Elder Messenger

22 Apr 2018, 16:32

Elrick wrote:
in which "2" was the maximum before it gave up showing any other key presses at the same time.
I am not a gamer, but as I understand it Shift, Control, and Alt do not count towards the "2" total, and even a 2KRO keyboard will have many instances where 3 or more will work.

Chyros

22 Apr 2018, 16:43

fohat wrote:
Elrick wrote:
in which "2" was the maximum before it gave up showing any other key presses at the same time.
I am not a gamer, but as I understand it Shift, Control, and Alt do not count towards the "2" total, and even a 2KRO keyboard will have many instances where 3 or more will work.
The modifier keys, especially control and alt, are generally matrixed in such a way that they will not or not easily conflict with other keys. Technically speaking, however, they do still count towards the "2" total.

What everyone gets wrong about rollover, almost purely because of the bullshit propaganda that gaming keyboard manufacturers have spread over the years, is that the number isn't a MAXIMUM but a MINIMUM.

waldorf120

27 Apr 2018, 00:54

Picked these up on ebay a few days ago, just got delivered. Twin Genovation numpads so old they have pine SKCM Whites! The connectors are some unfamiliar standard but they look like they were meant to intercept some other peripheral going to the device. Caps are Tai-Hao doublshots. I have a "newer" Genovation pad from 1997 that is similar except it has SKBM Whites and pad printed caps. Love the look of the case. No time to dig inside right now but if the PCB is also exciting I will post it.

Full Album

Elrick

27 Apr 2018, 03:45

Chyros wrote: What everyone gets wrong about rollover, almost purely because of the bullshit propaganda that gaming keyboard manufacturers have spread over the years.
YES exactly, all this "Gaming" nonsense that has afflicted most people even those who tag themselves as moderately intelligent, fall for that kind of propaganda.

It's been almost entirely successful in selling a whole product line of vacuous and useless input devices that are better suited in huge land fills rather than being on anyone's desk.

This is another perfect example of planned propaganda that has worked - much like the Deep State's agenda, hence watch and wait for more fake info to come our way, as they try to sell their version of the TRUTH.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Apr 2018, 18:27

Elrick wrote: This is another perfect example of planned propaganda that has worked - much like the Deep State's agenda, hence watch and wait for more fake info to come our way, as they try to sell their version of the TRUTH.[/color][/i]
http://talkradio.co.uk/george-galloway

I listen to him almost every day now. Telling the truth outside MSM.

waldorf120

27 Apr 2018, 18:45

For anyone that's curious, the Genovation Pad PCB is a two parter with a pcb matrix separate from the controller. This will make it super (relatively) easy to wire up a teensy or pro micro!

Album

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Apr 2018, 18:49

waldorf120 wrote: Image

For anyone that's curious, the Genovation Pad PCB is a two parter with a pcb matrix separate from the controller. This will make it super (relatively) easy to wire up a teensy or pro micro!
Nice, I got into numpads a while ago a bit and got this CNF made by Costar but it's just one PCB.

other-devices-f3/cnf-serial-19083-costa ... 18014.html

Acrecon

12 May 2018, 07:09

Finally was able to find a board with blue alps I've been looking for these switches for a while now ever since I tried them at a meetup. They're absolutely wonderful great sound great tactility they're in pretty good condition as well. It's a V80 PCB in a vortex case.

Mattr567

13 May 2018, 22:59

My favorite project by far. It's Alps in one of its best forms!

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

14 May 2018, 00:49

waldorf120 wrote: Image

Full Album

I have one of these as well! Mine is the AT version and has an LED indicator for num lock at the top. These things are neat for sure!

The caps are not original, obviously =P

Elrick

14 May 2018, 08:11

Didn't know where to post this so I'll try here.

Did anyone know that you could now buy coloured PBT Alps Key-caps today, see here;

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=4111

and another colour here;

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=4110

I've put in orders for both because getting all double injected Alps key-caps, is in everyone's interest especially for 2018.

Forget about paying $300+ for any dye-sub originals that are used and damaged, far cheaper to get the new ones ;) .

Chyros

14 May 2018, 08:27

Elrick wrote: Didn't know where to post this so I'll try here.

Did anyone know that you could now buy coloured PBT Alps Key-caps today, see here;

and another colour here;

I've put in orders for both because getting all double injected Alps key-caps, is in everyone's interest especially for 2018.

Forget about paying $300+ for any dye-sub originals that are used and damaged, far cheaper to get the new ones ;) .
Yeah, these were part of a Massdrop recently. I've ordered one of the blue sets; I think it might look pretty good on a black AT101W ^^ . The original's caps are pretty shitty anyway xD .

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

14 May 2018, 08:38

Chyros wrote: Yeah, these were part of a Massdrop recently. I've ordered one of the blue sets; I think it might look pretty good on a black AT101W ^^ . The original's caps are pretty shitty anyway xD .
Requesting review immediately upon arrival =P

Chyros

14 May 2018, 10:39

//gainsborough wrote:
Chyros wrote: Yeah, these were part of a Massdrop recently. I've ordered one of the blue sets; I think it might look pretty good on a black AT101W ^^ . The original's caps are pretty shitty anyway xD .
Requesting review immediately upon arrival =P
Haha I'll definitely make a quick picture of it at the least xD .

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 May 2018, 14:38

I have the Dolch set that looks great, except that the space bar and Caps Lock don't fit the Dell.

martink

14 May 2018, 14:56

For Dolch and WoB, this Caps Lock might help: https://shop.tai-hao.com/products/alps-capslock

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 May 2018, 16:31

Those keycaps are NOT PBT, they are ABS. It's an incorrect listing by mechanicalkeyboards.com

Elrick

15 May 2018, 12:57

Blaise170 wrote: Those keycaps are NOT PBT, they are ABS. It's an incorrect listing by mechanicalkeyboards.com
Geez Blaise, you're the penultimate Killjoy :x .

At least let us contemplate owning Brand New PBT Alps key-caps before kicking us all in the groin, with reality here.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

15 May 2018, 16:20

Haha well I'd rather people not buy them and be disappointed after the fact. :lol:

Sup

17 May 2018, 11:27

Elrick wrote: Didn't know where to post this so I'll try here.

and another colour here;

I like the key sets but i hate profile of the key sets so much that i rather over pay for old alps key caps. Someone should make a cherry profile Alps mount keycaps i don't even care if it's thin ABS.

Anakey

17 May 2018, 11:52

Sup wrote: I like the key sets but i hate profile of the key sets so much that i rather over pay for old alps key caps. Someone should make a cherry profile Alps mount keycaps i don't even care if it's thin ABS.
You might be interested in the nexus sliders for Alps, i guess when they finish production there will be some that will be selling theirs so might be something to look for if you want to use mx caps with Alps switches.

Chyros

17 May 2018, 14:31

Elrick wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: Those keycaps are NOT PBT, they are ABS. It's an incorrect listing by mechanicalkeyboards.com
Geez Blaise, you're the penultimate Killjoy :x .

At least let us contemplate owning Brand New PBT Alps key-caps before kicking us all in the groin, with reality here.
Nah man, Alps were MEANT to be used with doubleshot ABS - sounds way better than PBT ;) .

orihalcon

18 May 2018, 06:31

This will get its own thread eventually, but thought I'd share some progress now :) This is the first one of these I've found with the elusive numpad. Others I've had were pad printed caps with yellow ALPS, but I was pleasantly surprised to find doubleshot ABS with green ALPS, so thinking this is must be an earlier variant.

Did some mild retrobriting and the yellowing on certain keys isn't going away, but I can live with that.

The question I am faced with now is how to go about converting it. TMK supports the native protocol which I think is PC98, but the connector it uses is rather odd, and I think I'd rather go with Soarer's Controller running on a Teensy 2++ for ease of layout modification and definite NKRO. If only I could design my own replacement PCB that would accommodate an Xwhatsit (as it stands, no room for an Xwhatsit and the current Matrix has more than 8 rows oddly enough). Kind of would be cool to see all 5 of those lock LEDS work natively though ;)
DSC06965.JPG
DSC06965.JPG (4.45 MiB) Viewed 4583 times
DSC06969.JPG
DSC06969.JPG (3.31 MiB) Viewed 4583 times
DSC06987.JPG
DSC06987.JPG (4.16 MiB) Viewed 4583 times
ASCII Columns.JPG
ASCII Columns.JPG (2.53 MiB) Viewed 4583 times
ASCII keyboard Traces ROWS.JPG
ASCII keyboard Traces ROWS.JPG (2.38 MiB) Viewed 4583 times
Numpad.JPG
Numpad.JPG (2.72 MiB) Viewed 4570 times

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

18 May 2018, 07:13

Those boards are so cool. I've always admired the two-tone colorway of the alpha block.

Myoth

18 May 2018, 07:20

So it was you, orihalcon, that got it, I was thinking on bidding on this AlpSSK, because it's such a cute board ! Super nice !! Glad someone from here got it :D

Return to “Keyboards”