Post your relics!

PlacaFromHell

29 Mar 2018, 23:15

Leaving aside the huge among of strange and valuable keyboards that we have here, what other strange and valuable things do they have?

I'll start with some of mine

Sorry for the bad quality :cry:

This is a very old german depth meter, maybe from the Graf Spee! Is in really good condition.

This one is a mate entirely made of silver

I bought this one today! My new old (hehe) Shark CO2 multicaliber rifle. As far as I know is the most powerful CO2 gun ever made, shoting at something like 1200 FPS with .50 AE tips. Is waiting his new barrell and some o'ring replacements.

Here is with my Venturini Rubí, a really good 5.5 rifle. Anyway, nothing can do facing this monster. And a little bit under is my sirian knife made of damascus steel with a camel bone handle.

Now we get serious, we are talking about the big cheese. This is the outside poster from el Café de los Angelitos, the place where the eminences of tango composed their masterpieces. This place was related to important musical figures like Carlos Gardel and Cátulo Castillo and politicians like Juan B. Justo. There is, lying on my wall. I've seen it since I can remember, and still I can't believe it.

¡Café de los Angelitos!
¡Bar de Gabino y Cazón!
Yo te alegré con mis gritos
en los tiempos de Carlitos,
por Rivadavia y Rincón.

JP!

20 May 2018, 04:43

I have a civil war rifle and and a flint lock pistol from the early 1800's passed down from my great-grandfather. I don't have them with me currently to post though.

Scarpia

20 May 2018, 19:06

Lovely finds - can't wait to see what others will post here. As for me, basically all my artifacts are 20th century and centered around technology; rotary phones, 'retro future' toys, handheld games, storage media, and of course keyboards.

Although... we do have a pretty neat 8 cm long tooth from an African spinosaurus.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

20 May 2018, 23:15

I'm not sure that I actually have any relics... I'm thinking no.

Findecanor

21 May 2018, 00:01

To all burglars reading this :P :
* French bayonet, with stamp that it belonged to something in Paris 1870. Maybe it saw the Paris Commune, I dunno. Acquired during a World's Fair in Paris but I don't know which one, maybe 1900.
* Two flying "helmets" from the late 1940's: an American AN-H-15 in cloth/chamois and a British RAF C-Type in leather (same type as what one of the Two Fat Ladies used to wear while riding motorcycle with sidecar)
* 1930s/40s camera flash of the brand Graflex
* A collection of post cards 1896-1905, mostly USA and Japan. An album they were in did not have acid-free paper, so some are damaged in the corners where they were attached. No glue though.
* A couple 1970's pocket calculators ...

And some old furniture, one chair which I know my great grandmother was breastfed on, and she was born in 1891.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

21 May 2018, 00:12

I DID have a Soviet bayonet but I sent it to a place to get it sharpened, paid for it, and never got it returned. I keep contacting the place and they keep saying they'll ship it out but still haven't. :evil:

PlacaFromHell

21 May 2018, 00:41

The strangest thing I've ever seen was a masonic flamberge sword entirely made of silver. The owner said something like "I really don't know what is this thing, my brother died and he never told me about it. Now I use it to slaugh piglets".
I used to have a loot of rare and valuable things, unfortunately most of them dissapered. Too much objects to check around my house.

depletedvespene

21 May 2018, 01:06

After reading the previous entries, commenting that I have an HP-41C calculator and a couple Praktica cameras from the '50s (an FX2 and an FX3) seems downright embarrassing...

snufflecat

23 May 2018, 15:54

Ooh, a thread right up my alley. I have several old cameras, which I used to collect before, a small batch of old, weird books and a few boxes of old negatives ranging in age from the early 1900s to the 50s. I also have a few old Macintoshes that "followed" when I bought keyboards (I bought the machines just for the boards..), plus a disassembled Sharp MZ 700.

Fortunately I live in a small apartment with a girlfriend who doesn't share the same interest in either keyboards or "old junk", so I have to be sensible when I'm at fleemarkets and such.. I'll see if I can post some photos at a later point.

I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one not only collecting old keyboards.. :)

snuci
Vintage computer guy

24 May 2018, 01:28

I have all kinds of relics but here's something somewhat keyboard related... Here is my IBM Displaywriter System lucite display memorabilia. Code name for the project was "panther".
IBM Displaywriter Panther.JPG
IBM Displaywriter Panther.JPG (287.05 KiB) Viewed 3567 times

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

24 May 2018, 08:24

That's damn cool snuci!

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

24 May 2018, 08:33

I have a family sword! My great-great-great-great(?) grandfather was an officer in the US Navy.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

24 May 2018, 08:38

Pretty cool! I didn't stay in ROTC long enough to reach an officer rank but we had similar swords for the USMC. I've considered going to officer training school but that's a commitment I don't think I could take I right now. I almost joined the FBI as a special agent too, but I didn't finish my degree so they told me to come back once I did. Still don't have it two years later... :lol:

Kurplop

26 May 2018, 05:42

After my father died about 10 years ago, I found this 2" timber framing socket chisel in his Pennsylvania basement. I'm not sure he know it was even there. It was covered in a heavy layer of rust and tucked away from sight. I cleaned it up some and put an edge on it. Weighing in at over 2.5 pounds, it has yet to meet a piece of wood that wouldn't submit. Great steel, not quite as hard as laminated Japanese chisels but still holds a better edge than the rest of my chisels and it's very tough.
Next to this relic, the inch and a half Stanley looks pretty small
Next to this relic, the inch and a half Stanley looks pretty small
IMG_0340.JPG (2.61 MiB) Viewed 3467 times
Granted, the Stanley has lost about an inch in length from years of sharpening
Granted, the Stanley has lost about an inch in length from years of sharpening
IMG_0321 2.JPG (3.53 MiB) Viewed 3467 times

It is rare when a week passes without this chisel being put to use. I wrapped some padding around the end for comfort during heavy use. I try not to misuse it but have to sharpen it often because I do use it a lot and for many things. There were a quite a few deep rust pits in the steel but fortunately nothing within about two inches of the working end. Two inches should last me the rest of my career.

Return to “Off-topic”