(Model MF) Remodeling the Model M (aka.. the Mara)

hansichen

01 Mar 2018, 22:09

There was no progress in this project for like a year now, a daily bump will sadly not help

green-squid

01 Mar 2018, 22:13

Sad!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

01 Mar 2018, 22:42

Hypersphere wrote: @lot_lizard: I've been away from the forums for a long time due to personal matters and work obligations. Just now checking in again. Still very interested in the F-SSK project if/when it resumes. Thanks.
I wonder what that's like. :o :lol:

Welcome back!

green-squid

04 Mar 2018, 13:35

Does anyone here have a leftover MF prototype PCB? Or is it possible to make one on the cheap?

want-to-buy-f56/model-m-f-pcb-does-it-exist-t18398.html

green-squid

25 Mar 2018, 19:34

Can we pronounce this project Dead?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

25 Mar 2018, 19:36

green-squid wrote:Can we pronounce this project Dead?
Nope. Just on hold.

green-squid

25 Mar 2018, 19:42

I think we kind of can.

E TwentyNine

25 Mar 2018, 19:44

green-squid wrote: I think we kind of can.
You're free to forget about the project.

green-squid

25 Mar 2018, 19:51

E TwentyNine wrote:
Never forgetti

Lot Lizard's sphagetti

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

25 Mar 2018, 19:52

E TwentyNine wrote:
I have to admit I kindof did until it was bumped again.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

25 Mar 2018, 20:01

I just put it into the back of my mind for a while. Then I think about having an SSK layout Model MF, with SBS key caps, and I get excited all over again.

green-squid

25 Mar 2018, 20:07

Well, I actually have an idea for the MF makers: instead of having to get a new plate and flippers, how about painting the existing M flippers with conductive paint and be done? :)

Myoth

25 Mar 2018, 20:09

green-squid wrote: Well, I actually have an idea for the MF makers: instead of having to get a new plate and flippers, how about painting the existing M flippers with conductive paint and be done? :)
You'd just get a NKRO M which is not the point of this, the point of this was to create a Model F with the layout/case/form factor of an M.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

25 Mar 2018, 20:11

green-squid wrote:Well, I actually have an idea for the MF makers: instead of having to get a new plate and flippers, how about painting the existing M flippers with conductive paint and be done? :)
The feel of the model F is totally different than the M. It has to do with the size of the flippers and the type of springs used among other intangibles.

wcass

25 Mar 2018, 21:48

Model M flippers are structurally very different from model F flippers. M flippers are designed to squeeze membranes together so they have a little nub on the bottom. This reduces the contact surface area so that all of the spring force is concentrated into a one or two square mm. F flippers are designed to be a plate in a capacitor. To do this well, you need as large a surface area as possible. F flippers have more than 150 square mm of surface area. There are other reasons why M flippers just can't work, but this is the easiest to quantify. The design goals of the two are opposite.

I enjoy designing buckling spring keyboards, but i suck as a project manager. Lot_Lizard is a great program manager and we mostly agree with an open source philosophy. I will gladly work with him whenever he is ready. That said, i have worked with other PMs. If someone is interested in design - i will advise. If someone pitches an idea that catches my fancy, i will assist. But you will also need programming and financing if you expect to take your idea through to completion.

xTek

26 May 2018, 18:43

*bump* *bump* What's up guys?

green-squid

26 May 2018, 18:56

xTek wrote: What's up guys?
Tesla's value. 8-)

But on a serious note, nothing. This project's saving grace would be that one of the creators releases the PCB files for free (and the plate CAD file) so anyone can order the PCBs through PCBway and the plate through some sort of CAD service (or 3D printing maybe? :) )

idollar, do you have the PCB files (or the plate files?)? :)

wobbled

26 May 2018, 19:41

Or you could just wait for Lot_Lizard to return, bumping these threads isn't really going to achieve anything.

green-squid

26 May 2018, 19:51

wobbled wrote: Or you could just wait for Lot_Lizard to return, bumping these threads isn't really going to achieve anything.
I agree, I just wanted to chime in. Since idollar is back, maybe he has some files.

xTek

26 May 2018, 20:15

wobbled wrote: Or you could just wait for Lot_Lizard to return, bumping these threads isn't really going to achieve anything.
You don't understand... Bumping a thread is a religion. :D

__red__

26 May 2018, 20:23

Designing the PCBs isn't hard. I could do it in an afternoon.

What's hard is sourcing barrels and flippers.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

26 May 2018, 21:34

Precision rolling of the plates was no picnic, at least from what lot_lizard said. But his plate design is a masterpiece. Compatible with both XT and AT barrels, insert or wire stabilized keys, and optional split space bar using a code key.

green-squid

26 May 2018, 22:14

__red__ wrote: Designing the PCBs isn't hard. I could do it in an afternoon.
Holy shit I would love to design PCBs man. I know some basic electronics but that's it. :|

Sourcing the flippers and housings would be where our man Ellipse would come in.

Dingster

26 May 2018, 22:20

green-squid wrote:
Holy shit I would love to design PCBs man. I know some basic electronics but that's it. :|

Sourcing the flippers and housings would be where our man Ellipse would come in.
Same man, too bad I have no skills :lol:

__red__

27 May 2018, 16:02

Dingster wrote:
green-squid wrote:

About a year ago I set up a google hangout to teach people how to design PCBs and no-one showed.

I'm happy to try again...

Vizir

27 May 2018, 16:03

__red__ wrote:
Dingster wrote:
green-squid wrote: Holy shit I would love to design PCBs man. I know some basic electronics but that's it. :|

About a year ago I set up a google hangout to teach people how to design PCBs and no-one showed.

Damn. That's really cool. I'm in if you plan to do it again.

green-squid

27 May 2018, 16:22

Whoaa that would be awesome, sadly my timetable is tight (end of schoolyear final tests), dance lessons, etc) at the moment.

I would love to design like, a Buckling spring sixty percent that you can just slot in with an Xwhatsit and be done. I have this EDA suite on my computer (Linux) that you can do all sorts of electronics things with (including PCB design). The plate could also be just a 3d printable and cut down version of the plate in the MF project, but I would like to have an
ISO (or maybe like a 2U horizontal enter) one.

I'm not saying YOU should design it, but I'd absolutely love to do it!

codemonkeymike

27 May 2018, 16:49

I'd show up if it was after work hours or on the weekend

green-squid

27 May 2018, 17:02

Actually, if this was in the summer, it would be perfect, but if I wanted to get this BS 60% project off the ground, I'll have to sell some stuff (maybe all of my stuff) for the nescesarry funds for one complete keyboard. Aaah really not sure if I should do it. I would love to have a small model F, and I wouldn't have to buy more goddamn keyboards :D

scottc

27 May 2018, 17:09

__red__ wrote: About a year ago I set up a google hangout to teach people how to design PCBs and no-one showed.

Hey __red__, scheduling is really hard, especially cross-timezone. I'd be really interested in this but probably wouldn't make a live one-off event. Would you consider recording it next time?

Return to “Workshop”