This is not double shot

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jun 2018, 18:51

imgpsh_fullsize.jpeg
imgpsh_fullsize.jpeg (92.44 KiB) Viewed 14446 times
I'm experimenting with 360° dye-sub. Just got the first sample which is very promising. If you don't get it... look closer, some legends are lighter than the background.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Jun 2018, 18:58

So you're saying that you are doing inverse dyesub? I've seen it done a few times before, but they keysets were really expensive. I'd be interested to hear more though.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jun 2018, 19:09

nah I wouldn't say they are expensive, on the contrary. probably cheaper than double-shot

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Jun 2018, 19:34

Sweet. Any chance that we'd see Alps dyesubs from you at some point in the future?

codemonkeymike

05 Jun 2018, 19:50

I'd buy alps anything, is this going to be DSA from SP? or a project apart from SP?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jun 2018, 19:51

we had alps granite last year and nobody cared, so I'm not running any more :P

this is not SP, but yes, the profile is very close to DSA.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

05 Jun 2018, 19:53

I can‘t believe it‘s not butter!!!

Honeywell MT3 them?

Do it.

codemonkeymike

05 Jun 2018, 19:54

matt3o wrote: we had alps granite last year and nobody cared, so I'm not running any more :P
faaaak, I cared :cry:

matt3o wrote: this is not SP, but yes, the profile is very close to DSA.
Thats interesting. I have always been a fan of flat profiles but found that DSA had too small of a typing area. That is why XDA was perfect for me.

TheMilkmen

05 Jun 2018, 21:34

you're not going to use the revival of DSS are you for this? I saw it was coming back potentially and this seems like a good set for that to come back with.

nastrovje

05 Jun 2018, 21:45

Looks pretty promising!

If you are going to make a complete WoB set at any point, preferably even in Cherry profile, I am all yours.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Jun 2018, 21:46

matt3o wrote: we had alps granite last year and nobody cared, so I'm not running any more :P

How many people actually knew about it? Us Alpsholes are always looking for good caps. :lol:

Elrick

06 Jun 2018, 05:09

Blaise170 wrote:

How many people actually knew about it? Us Alpsholes are always looking for good caps. :lol:
Yeah we usually have other "REAL" jobs to do and because of that we miss out on the latest info when something is available.

This so-called Alps keys done by SP slipped under the radar here and I'm sorry I missed them.

But now the Chinese are involved, so I am hanging out for info relating to them supplying the Alps addicts, with decent dye-sub keys in the future.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Jun 2018, 08:57

You even commented to the "so-called" Alps keys thread, @Elrick product-news-f44/prepare-your-alps-t16417.html so...

Elrick

06 Jun 2018, 09:19

matt3o wrote: You even commented to the "so-called" Alps keys thread, @Elrick product-news-f44/prepare-your-alps-t16417.html so...
Oh nice, bringing up stuff from last year.

I forget what I've done last week, so good luck trying to remind me of what I posted a year ago :lol: .

Menuhin

06 Jun 2018, 10:17

Date first post is not April 1st...!

:shock: :o :P

andrewjoy

06 Jun 2018, 16:24

I care

But i missed it :(

cookie

06 Jun 2018, 18:00

This is looking fantastic!

pyrelink

06 Jun 2018, 18:26

Damn this is very cool, Matt3o. From that image the legends look very good.

Were you just testing with Skull Squadron or if this works out are you looking at a potential "Skull Squadron Inverse Dyesub Remaster"? Can't wait to see what comes from this.

Also just wanted to piggyback on the devastation of missing out on Alps Granite during my hiatus.. :cry:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Jun 2018, 18:30

yeah the first set we release should be Skull Squadron, glad you like it :)

ideus

06 Jun 2018, 19:07

Kuddos for you Matt. They look just impecable, with no warping at all. Congratulations. Are you planning to support an International kit?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Jun 2018, 19:19

ideus wrote: Kuddos for you Matt. They look just impecable, with no warping at all. Congratulations. Are you planning to support an International kit?
there will be ISO but not a full international support

Daniel

06 Jun 2018, 21:34

Interesting concept I've never seen before, I'm going to follow this :-)
Can you elaborate a little bit how this is done technically? Are there new machines needed or can this be done with the usual machines?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Jun 2018, 21:42

As far as I know inverse dye-sublimation uses essentially the same method of transfer, but instead dyes the rest of the cap instead of the legend. They've been used on keycap sets before, though it eludes me which ones at the moment.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

07 Jun 2018, 02:29

I'd love to see this on /dev/tty profile.

derzemel

07 Jun 2018, 11:17

I am very curios regarding the technicalities behind the manufacturing process of this "reverse" dye-sub process.
The keycaps I have seen until now printed with this process did not have the best results:
Spoiler:
But, I understand if you cannot give us details due to contracts and trade secrets

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jun 2018, 12:39

it's a known technology. 3D dye-sub. You basically wrap the whole keycap not just the top. Then it's vacuumed and heated. It's not easy to do it right just because it requires more time and attention than standard dyesub. I was reluctant when they suggested it to me, but I saw the result and I'm impressed!

derzemel

07 Jun 2018, 13:06

matt3o wrote: it's a known technology. 3D dye-sub. You basically wrap the whole keycap not just the top. Then it's vacuumed and heated. It's not easy to do it right just because it requires more time and attention than standard dyesub. I was reluctant when they suggested it to me, but I saw the result and I'm impressed!
oh, I see. Thank you!

Maybe now we will have some awesome Topre keycaps, if Alps are not planned :P :mrgreen:

cookie

07 Jun 2018, 14:12

Will there be a dev/tty set using this technique?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Jun 2018, 15:13

cookie wrote: Will there be a dev/tty set using this technique?
maybe, but we are working on double-shot for dev/tty

cookie

07 Jun 2018, 18:23

matt3o wrote:
cookie wrote: Will there be a dev/tty set using this technique?
maybe, but we are working on double-shot for dev/tty
May I ask what material you are going to use for that? I feel like PBT is the better material when it comes down to wear resistance but PBT doubleshots look horrendous.
I guess you are going for ABS since people complained that the Dyesub wasn't really that great on the dev/tty set and you will probably have very good results with doubleshots there.

Cheers!

Return to “Gallery”