[IC] AT101/AT101W programable PCB

BlindAssassin111

05 Jun 2018, 23:29

Update:
I am almost done with the board, just have to rearrange the pins for the columns and rows as the current MC wiring is a mess. Almost lost the whole board due to file corruption...Thankfully the program saved a backup file that didn't get corrupted.

Current interest is at 7, so still below MOQ, hopefully this will go up soon!

Also wanted to note that the PCB will have the MC on board already, as there is almost no room to put a Teensy 2.0. I am looking at using a different manufacturer than the one I used for the omnikey PCB as I wasn't 100% satisfied with the quality. So price may go up a tad from the originally estimated totals in the OP.

Elrick

07 Jun 2018, 09:21

BlindAssassin111 wrote: Also wanted to note that the PCB will have the MC on board already, as there is almost no room to put a Teensy 2.0. I am looking at using a different manufacturer than the one I used for the omnikey PCB as I wasn't 100% satisfied with the quality. So price may go up a tad from the originally estimated totals in the OP.
Just do the very BEST for this upcoming PCB and there will be customers signing up here.

At this moment in time it's only those who are really interested in re-using their old Dells for something far greater and this is the PCB for it.

As others become more aware, then you'll see more of them coming in out of the cold ;) .

andrewjoy

07 Jun 2018, 18:07

Will your PCB support putting 1u keys between the control and alt on winkeyless boards ?

BlindAssassin111

07 Jun 2018, 19:18

andrewjoy wrote: Will your PCB support putting 1u keys between the control and alt on winkeyless boards ?
Yes it is setup to allow you to modify winkeyless to have the extra 1U keys.

BlindAssassin111

07 Jun 2018, 19:24

Update:

Board is finished! Took quite a bit of time to figure out the best way to run the column and row traces so it went through a couple iterations of which pin went to which column/row.

Here are some pictures of how it will look, the USB model isn't shown but it will be mounted top side in the same area the original 4-pin header was located.

Top:
AT101_PCB_Top.png
AT101_PCB_Top.png (124.22 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
Bottom:
AT101_PCB_Bottom.png
AT101_PCB_Bottom.png (91.97 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
I will be getting a more accurate quote soon, and I may add a black heart text logo as well, just to keep that going with all boards I make.

Hak Foo

09 Jun 2018, 21:42

Well, I went in for one. I loved the Omnikey version, but I trapped myself into a layout which will never have a good keycap set unless Our Saviour Edgar Matias ever finishes his new tooling.

The AT101W at least uses 99% of a Tai-Hao set, and they now sell https://shop.tai-hao.com/products/alps-capslock to get closer still.

For people balking at the cost, remember this includes a controller, so you're saving 30 bucks over buying a Teensy++ on similar projects.

Anakey

09 Jun 2018, 22:59

I have already got the omnikey version, waiting for the nexus sliders then both will be shipped over together. This layout would be closer to what i want to do given the use of the 7u spacebar without having to extend the contacts to fit those in the pcb, however the move to a dedicated on board controller would make it extremely hard to use the pcb for my project so i will be sticking to my omnikey one. Good luck with the rest of the project.

andrewjoy

12 Jun 2018, 14:34

I have ordered a brand new dell for this and it will be going in an SGI case!

It will look so cool when its done!

Now the ultimate question.... should i paint the plate ?

Next project WANG PCB ? :P

BlindAssassin111

16 Jun 2018, 07:37

andrewjoy wrote: Next project WANG PCB ? :P
The next project isn't that, but if you want that I can design one for what board you want it to be used for. Let me know, it won't be in time for this GB but I can run it at a later date.

Also I am trying to find information about the LED location on the SKCL series switches, Does anyone know the dimensions or have a way to measure their switches to help me out? I can't find any info about the footprint with the LED and have no cheap way of acquiring a switch to find this information out. I would really appreciate the help!!

Once I have that information I can finish the last of the third board and launch the GB for the boards.

Elrick

17 Jun 2018, 09:13

Hak Foo wrote: The AT101W at least uses 99% of a Tai-Hao set, and they now sell https://shop.tai-hao.com/products/alps-capslock to get closer still.
So you can't still use ALL of Tai-Hao key-caps with the Dell Bigfoot?

Was hoping they would also provide fitted Space bars as well by now. They should of provided all their Alps key-caps with 100% fitment to the humble 'Bigfoot'.

BlindAssassin111

18 Jun 2018, 04:08

Elrick wrote:
Hak Foo wrote: The AT101W at least uses 99% of a Tai-Hao set, and they now sell https://shop.tai-hao.com/products/alps-capslock to get closer still.
So you can't still use ALL of Tai-Hao key-caps with the Dell Bigfoot?

Was hoping they would also provide fitted Space bars as well by now. They should of provided all their Alps key-caps with 100% fitment to the humble 'Bigfoot'.
The only part that you can't use is the caps lock key, if you buy the spacebar inserts I will be selling along with these(a couple dollars) you will be able to use the spacebar without issue. The caps lock for the AT101 is not a standard stepped cap, so it is a different switch location than the taihao sets, they do sell the correct caps lock key but it isn't available in many color options.

Hak Foo

18 Jun 2018, 05:44

It seems that the "convention" for a stepped key in that spot is 1.5x with a .25x step on Alps, and 1.25x with a .5x step on Cherry.

I've seen old Datacomp boards with the right key size, and old Acer 60-63-65 series boards have it too.

Elrick

18 Jun 2018, 06:46

BlindAssassin111 wrote: The only part that you can't use is the caps lock key, if you buy the spacebar inserts I will be selling along with these(a couple dollars) you will be able to use the spacebar without issue. The caps lock for the AT101 is not a standard stepped cap, so it is a different switch location than the taihao sets, they do sell the correct caps lock key but it isn't available in many color options.
Definitely interested in the "Spacebar Inserts" because then it would make the Tai-Hao's 100% suitable for any Dell AT101W.

I don't really hate the Bigfoot's at all, they're quite an upgrade even when comparing the latest Matias branded keyboards. Unlike the Matias keyboards, the BigFoot's can now be completely covered with NEW keycaps :D .

hanonator

18 Jun 2018, 11:29

I would buy at least one, probably 2 or more.

andrewjoy

18 Jun 2018, 11:44

Now you all see what a stupid idea stepped caps lock is!

If people had just put the control key there we would have no need to have it stepped!

I will go for one dell PCB and possibly a second.

I just got myself a brand new in box Dell AT101 and put it in an SGI case i think this PCB will be a good fit for it.

Hmm now , to L mod the black alps or get myself some matias reds... i guess it would be a crime to not use them virgin alps even if they are blacks, with an L mod they are as smooth as greens! Almost.

Elrick

18 Jun 2018, 11:58

andrewjoy wrote: Hmm now , to L mod the black alps or get myself some matias reds... i guess it would be a crime to not use them virgin alps even if they are blacks, with an L mod they are as smooth as greens! Almost.
Just love the fact that we now have a real use for all of our AT101's that can have any style of Alps switch installed.

Plus having decent Key-cap sets that cover ALL of the switches for the FIRST time, is truly a GREAT achievement 8-) .

Just like to thank the OP for arranging this, you've done good.

andrewjoy

18 Jun 2018, 12:14

Does anyone remember the old "repair kits" for older cherry key caps sets .

I think we need that for SGI caps, the SGI caps are lovely and i would love to not have to use a dell bottom row and Omnikey caps lock on my Ficlo zero :P

hanonator

18 Jun 2018, 15:40

andrewjoy wrote: Hmm now , to L mod the black alps or get myself some matias reds... i guess it would be a crime to not use them virgin alps even if they are blacks, with an L mod they are as smooth as greens! Almost.
L modding is linearising them? By taking out the tactile leaf?

andrewjoy

18 Jun 2018, 15:48

Indeed it is .

And they feel very nice!

I am lucky enough to have one of them aluminium alps opening tool so it does not take long at all. I can also if i want to lube the springs to make them even smoother.

Hak Foo

19 Jun 2018, 01:45

andrewjoy wrote: If people had just put the control key there we would have no need to have it stepped!
If you foul control-A there's a very real chance of emitting "select all" and then the next keystroke wipes out your field.

codemonkeymike

20 Jun 2018, 23:30

Would we be able to widen the whole in the plate to be able to use a TaiHao capslock? (what I am getting at is I will to modification to the plate to get a TaiHao set working)

BlindAssassin111

21 Jun 2018, 01:00

codemonkeymike wrote: Would we be able to widen the whole in the plate to be able to use a TaiHao capslock? (what I am getting at is I will to modification to the plate to get a TaiHao set working)
Yep you can widen the hole for the caps lock switch on the plate, the only downside is one side of the switch will not clip into the plate, but the other side will and that should be enough to allow you to take off the caps without much issue if you ever needed/wanted to.

BlindAssassin111

25 Jun 2018, 05:35

Okay, I finally got the quote for assembly for the MC components...It adds quite a bit of cost and isn't economical because of this. At QTY-10 the cost for assembly is $50 each, and isn't reasonable until QTY-30 at $19, which is the same cost as a teensy2.0 with pins.

So with this said, I will redesign the PCB and try and force a Teensy2.0 to work, which is a plus for some. This will take about a week as I have to do a lot of rerouting to make it work. Once I do so I will redo the pricing and get the GB setup and ready for launch next week on 7/2 most likely.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the delay.

Elrick

25 Jun 2018, 08:19

BlindAssassin111 wrote: Once I do so I will redo the pricing and get the GB setup and ready for launch next week on 7/2 most likely.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the delay.
Although the costings you've given isn't exorbitant in any way. This is a once only purchase, so don't go comparing this to common Cherry Junk, which is available everywhere so easily at lower cost (not ever interested).

Designing and making an Alps pcb is far more unique, so it's worth the extra moolah for those whom are interested.

Keep up the good work, since you're the only one doing a full Alps keyboard here and we are glad to be allowed in purchasing it.

BlindAssassin111

29 Jun 2018, 22:04

Update:

I have finished the rerouting of the traces to now support the Teensy 2.0. The way I have it done is you mount the Teensy upside down on the back so the connector for the USB is more inline with the PCB and the reset button pokes through the PCB so you can still press it. You could technically mount it on the topside connector side up and it will work as well, but I don't know if it will fit the plate.

Also note that the Teensy will need to have headers on the extra pins that are not on a pro micro footprint as I had to use the extra 4 pins. The 3 middle pins on the bottom do not need to be connected just the outside 2 on both sides, but the two in the middle of the board by the USB connector do need to be attached.
Teensy_Placement.PNG
Teensy_Placement.PNG (65.48 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
Updated pricing:
  • 10 - $65
    15 - $51
    20 - $45
    30 - $35
    40 - $31
Note: Pricing is a bit more due to a different manufacturer and I have to pay for tooling for the first round of boards, a $123 one time fee.

Also shipping for the US will be $15 and international will have to be through USPS first class package as I no longer have access to a DHL account, which means slower shipping(1-3 weeks) but pricing starts lower(expect between $15 and $20), still dependent on country though.

I still plan on launching the GB on monday 7/2 around 5pm central time.

BlindAssassin111

03 Jul 2018, 00:40

Return to “Group buys”